and 1 more site!
Days Inn Villa Fontana
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Let me start this off by saying the people who work there, are absolutely friendly and helpful. This review is not a reflection of them. But the hotel itself, I was not happy with. There is very dim lighting in the room, there was holes in the walls. (I stuffed them with toilet paper). I found a dead cockroach, not small either. One early morning, we woke up, and you could hear rats in the walls. Taking a shower was painful, the shower head was so strong, it felt like it was stabbing me, I literally had to clutch my chest and take the fastest shower ever in my life. Unfortunately we won't be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 March 2017

The gentleman at the counter was very friendly. But the room was dismal. It was dirty and looked a shambles. I was trying to talk myself into being okay with paying almost 100.00 dollars for a crappy room, but then I saw a small bug walking across the bedspread and I was out of there like a shot. To their credit, they refunded me my money very quickly. I stayed across the street at the El Cid and am very happy I did.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Villa Fontana for 2 nights. It wasn't my first choice, but it was the only place with a room. The downtown location is good.

I switched rooms after the first night because the air con/heater didn't work properly and there was a connecting door to the room next door which might as well have been open. It was incredibly noisy. Overall, the second room was a lot more comfortable. Plus it had a bath tub and a great shower.

Both rooms I had were pretty tired looking. They were reasonably clean - as long as you didn't look too closely. They give you water and a coffee machine, but don't stretch to things like a safe or a hairdryer. Security is good. The pool are is okay, but quite small. There were a couple of noisy kids in there the day I arrived - enough to render it off limits.

Marketing from the hotel seems to suggest breakfast is included in the price. It isn't.

Overall, it's expensive for what you get. It's a $30-40 place that charges $70.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

We stayed during the weekend while touring Ensenada and the wine region, and this hotel was a very good choice. It is conveniently located in the touristic main street with lots of restaurants, coffee shops and bars within walking distance. Even if you have to go a little bit farther there are several UBER drivers nearby all the time. The rooms are simple and modest, don't expect a luxury hotel, but they are well mantained and clean, also the front desk staff is very helpful and kind. The not so nice part of the hotel is that if you get a room next to the main street you will get a lot of the noise at night, also as it is very close to the harbor when the cruises are leaving you will hear their horns at night. Also they have a pool but it is not climatized.

They have two parking lots, one right in the hotel and the other around the corner, both are safe and guarded.

Overrall this is a good option, not very expensive but clean and comfortable.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

Hotel Villa Fontana Inn Ensenada – Room 120, June 9,10,11, 3 nights.
Our first floor room had a mini split, plenty of light, king bed, TV, coffee maker, hair dryer and exhaust fan in bathroom. A 200 peso deposit was required for the remote controls for the air conditioner and TV, which was returned at checkout. There was actually wifi in the room, which was rare in our experience.
The pool was a few feet outside our room door, so it was very noisy when the pool was in use. Their version of continental breakfast was on a small table in the office and consisted of a pot of coffee and a plate of bite size brownies like the ones from Costco.
VERY limited parking, with only 10 spaces for a 69 room hotel. The desk clerk has to open a gate to let guests in or out of this limited space. At times they tell guests to go down the block and around the corner to park in a public lot because there is no space at the hotel, even when we could see 2 available parking spaces. The front desk staff claimed they were not holding the spaces for friends and also claimed the owner, Alfredo, set the policies and was in his office watching the property on CCTV cameras. Not a good situation when the luggage needs to be loaded into the car. We would not recommend this hotel for travelers who drive, only those who fly into town.
This is the only hotel of the 15 we visited in the Baja that required a credit card number to make a phone reservation. The other 15 hotels during our trip made telephone reservations without asking for a credit card. No ice machines at the hotel – they tell guests to go next door to the liquor store to buy ice.
This hotel is in a great location to walk to most of downtown Ensenada, which we did because our car was blocked 4 deep in the small parking lot of the hotel. We declined giving the car keys to the office staff so we had to park a block and a half away on the day when we needed the car for a day trip.
Again we would only recommend this hotel for guests without a car in Ensenada.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple