“When you expect nothing, you won't be disappointed”

Days Inn Villa Fontana
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Location is great, especially if you like being able to watch all the activity from a street front room w/a balcony. There is a lot of noise (especially music which is constant) but some are quite happy w/that. Although the rooms are very shabby and tired looking and can be daunting upon first glance, the beds are quite comfy. One bedspread had stains which looked old...that bed went unused. Light panel over vanity area broken and w/2 holes made me wonder about cameras... The room phone had an oily, dirty looking film all over it; obviously, it was never used by us. There is a coffeemaker in the room w/1 packet of coffee; I washed everything out before using as well as after (I can only dream that one day everyone will pay it forward) and was happy w/the results. But there were not enough creamer packets so coffee time was not enjoyable. There is okay coffee in the lobby as well as some pieces of (not too fresh tasting) pan dulce. I was disappointed. The staff though, they were friendly and tried to accommodate guests as best they could. Stacked parking is tight (very!!!) but everyone manages. And there is an offsite lot as well which has security and most of our party had to use it...no problems. We paid $150 per night...waaaayyyy overpriced for what you get (dingy towels, no bath mat -thank God I took flip flops which i used the entire time i was in the room, especially to shower; very poor lighting in bedroom, vanity and shower areas, no radio/clock, and if you open your window or door, you get lots of flies). AC worked well but you're either freezing or sweating...didn't feel it was working at in between stages; floors very squeaky. I took my own pillow and a sheet which I used as I'm very particular when it comes to covering myself w/hotel/motel bed linens. This place is not for everyone but I saw people of various ethnicities checking in for the weekend (Latino, Caucasian, French, Argentinean, African-American...and it seemed they're all regulars), but it does seem to have its built-in clientele. Both chairs on balconies were very dirty but some balconies had only one, or none. Lounge chairs in pool area are very limited (I think only 6) as were tables (2) and they're usually 'marked' by towels, shorts, bags of junk food. And most of it is by one or two families who spend their days there w/their kids which makes it very noisy whether you're trying to enjoy the pool, get some rest, or occupying a poolside room. Although very close to port, arriving/departing ships horns are not a deal breaker as some have stated in their review. I heard them but they were not deafening nor disturbing. As for families w/little ones, I'd suggest you walk to the corner and head down 1 block to the Tacos Don Chente stand where you'll get tacos, tortas, or burritos (the bomb!) and then continue to the port where you'll find many others enjoying the water jets (at night it becomes a light show); they'll enjoy the water and running around between the water spurts (lots and lots of fun!); being close to the port where they can see the huge cruise ships docked, get lots of sun, and, the plus? You'll tire them out so much they'll hit the pillow and be out once back in the room. :) Oh, you can get your tacos on the way back from enjoying the water (which along w/the light show, you'll also enjoy other entertainment at the bandshell).

Room Tip: Room w/balcony = people watching. Poolside room possibly = a lot of kids squeals and play noises.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 June 2017

Overpriced - due to event preceding Baja 500 - (Lucas Oil competition of some kind).
Reception very accommodating but rooms were 1-2 star quality. Convenient location near heart of Calle Primera. Would stay there again but only very reduced rate.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Let me start this off by saying the people who work there, are absolutely friendly and helpful. This review is not a reflection of them. But the hotel itself, I was not happy with. There is very dim lighting in the room, there was holes in the walls. (I stuffed them with toilet paper). I found a dead cockroach, not small either. One early morning, we woke up, and you could hear rats in the walls. Taking a shower was painful, the shower head was so strong, it felt like it was stabbing me, I literally had to clutch my chest and take the fastest shower ever in my life. Unfortunately we won't be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2017

The gentleman at the counter was very friendly. But the room was dismal. It was dirty and looked a shambles. I was trying to talk myself into being okay with paying almost 100.00 dollars for a crappy room, but then I saw a small bug walking across the bedspread and I was out of there like a shot. To their credit, they refunded me my money very quickly. I stayed across the street at the El Cid and am very happy I did.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Villa Fontana for 2 nights. It wasn't my first choice, but it was the only place with a room. The downtown location is good.

I switched rooms after the first night because the air con/heater didn't work properly and there was a connecting door to the room next door which might as well have been open. It was incredibly noisy. Overall, the second room was a lot more comfortable. Plus it had a bath tub and a great shower.

Both rooms I had were pretty tired looking. They were reasonably clean - as long as you didn't look too closely. They give you water and a coffee machine, but don't stretch to things like a safe or a hairdryer. Security is good. The pool are is okay, but quite small. There were a couple of noisy kids in there the day I arrived - enough to render it off limits.

Marketing from the hotel seems to suggest breakfast is included in the price. It isn't.

Overall, it's expensive for what you get. It's a $30-40 place that charges $70.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo