“"NICE PLACE"”

Potrero Viejo
Ranked #171 of 353 Restaurants in Ensenada
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 12 June 2017

It is one of my favorite places to have breakfast and eat, everything is very rich. The service was good, I would have liked it to be excellent but the atmosphere is nice and the prices are very affordable. I invite you to visit him and fall in love with his food.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I come to Ensenada at least once a year for vacation and I eat at Potrero Viejo everyday while I am in Ensenada! I have tried EVERYTHING!!! Their cucumber salsa is amaizing, but be careful, it may be too hot for you (try it first)!!! I put it on menudo, pozole and gorditas. Chiles rellonos (stuffed peppers) are great too!!

Pork, cactus gorditas are one of my favorite!! do not forget to add some chesse!! Mushroom gordotas taste great too, give them a chance!!

I have order chilaquiles Potrero and they taste yummy, and there was a lot of food on my plate!!

Gorditas Potrero Viejo has a dish for everybody, it does not matter if you are vegetarian (chiles rellenos, mushroom gordtias, chilaquiles) or a meet lover!!

The place is super clean and staff is very friendly!!

John Catucci from You Gotta Eat Here should stop to eat in Potrero Viejo...

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Not sure if this is the correct place or not, but I ate at the PotRero Viejo at this address. Secluded and away from the 'mainstream' tourist spots, this place rocks food the RIGHT way! The Gorditas are excellent, but my favorite are the Enchiladas de Queso, ¡Sabroso!

4  Thank SBruce J
Reviewed 12 February 2013

This is just off the beaten track (1 block) from Lopez Mateos but a good starting point for our food tour near the port. It is near the corner of Riveroll and Calle Segundo. We come to Ensenada 2-3 times a year on a cruise.

Was here at the end of January. Had a Frijoles y queso (bean & cheese) and a Papas con chorizo (potatoes & chorizo). Both were excellent. Went again this past Saturday and had a bean & cheese and a Bistec Ranchero. Again excellent.

The place was clean and had a clean bathroom (important for us women!).

2  Thank Klutz13
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Zacacatecan style gorditas are somewhat similar to El Salvadorian pupasas. Except instead of cooking the fillings inside a corn/rice masa like when making pupusas the extra thick unfilled pure corn masa for the gordita is first almost fully cooked then split open with a knife and the fillings added. Here at Portero Viejo they freshly cook each gordita’s corn masa to order for you. You have a choice of fillingsto put inside including picadillo (spiced ground beef), chile and cheese, potato with chorizo, mushroom with nopales, beef steak ranchero, pork with nopales in a green sauce, and beans with cheese. All of them are excellent and 2-4 make a great traditional Zacatecan style breakfast. My favorites are the pork, potato co chorizo, chille with cheese, and the not on the menu beans, rice, and cheese (in Spanish frijoles, arroz, y queso). The salsa de chile de arbol has a great balance of heat and flavor and complements the gorditas well.
The café de olla is a spiced coffee that is competently prepared here and a great addition to any breakfast. Along with the fresh squeezed orange juice. I have also tried the chilaquiles verdes which are also excellent. If you want carne asada with your chilaquiles order the chilaquiles potero for a substantial breakfast for around $5 US. The gorditas cost about $1.20 to $1.50 each in USD.

For me this is a must stop place for breakfast when I am in Ensenada. I fact the one time my family took a cruise to Ensenada we skilled the ship’s food to eat here and were glad we did. It is not a fancy place somewhat between a stand and a restaurant. with indoor seating in 2 rooms and outside counter seating. They can be busy at breakfast time with their local customers especially on weekends, but I have never had to wait for a table. Another great feature they have a clean restroom for you use.

2  Thank Russ-Parsons