“Horrible bad”

Ranked #223 of 321 Restaurants in La Paz
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

We were hungry and looking for a nice located place. The kiwi-bar have a nice location. The restaurant needs a upgrade. The water have a lot influence to the building, a part of the outside dining area is broken by the sea.

De drinks we orders came quickly but after one hour a waitress (wearing running clothes) she brought us some nachos because the dinner took so long.

Beside us was an other couple which came later, but the finished there dinner already!

After the nachos we still wait 1/2 hour and than we made the decision to go. The last hour we didn't see anyone!!! Not even a waitress ore someone in the kitchen.

We lay the money for the drinks down on the table en leave the restaurant.

Nearby the kiwi bar stands a food truck. we ordered hotdog for 20 pesos and enjoyed these very much.

I hope that the owner in the future takes his responsibilities and have an eye on his restaurant.

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

We got there because of the many good reviews we read here. It has a beautiful view over the water and beach. Unfortunately we waited for our food for more than an hour. We got our drinks 15 min after ordering then we got the typical nachos after like half an hour. We waited more than one hour for our food to come. No one of the stuff came either. Finally we left money on the table for our drinks and went away. We will not give that a try again.

Reviewed 7 May 2016

I cannot reconcile this restaurant with the overall 'very good' reviews of it on Tripadvisor, although I note that the most recent review was 8 months ago. We went there in April 2016 – not a busy tourist time but while nearby restaurants were full, this one was empty. That should have warned us, but we persevered in view of the good reviews. At 7pm the staff seemed unwilling to open the doors and were sullen and unwelcoming. Though we were the only guests the waiter took 20 minutes to bring the menu, and another half-hour to take our order. The only other patrons, a Mexican family who arrived an hour later, received the same treatment. We all waited for attention while the waiter, unbelievably, sat down to enjoy his own meal! Our starter, potato skins, arrived after an hour, cold and with congealed cheese. None of the usual Mexican trimmings while waiting. The main course arrived half-an-hour later still and was OK, although the bread tasted of freezer-burn. We would have liked a dessert but had already wasted 2.5 hours at the place and were unwilling to risk another wait. With so many good restaurants in the area we greatly regretted wasting an evening at Kiwi.

2  Thank Jon B
Reviewed 17 August 2015

I will never forget my experience at the Kiwi! I ate the stuffed halibut for dinner and to this day I remember it as the very best food I have ever tasted. It was cooked perfectly, the fish was clearly locally caught and extrememly fresh, and the chef used the most amazing sauces and the best combination of flavors I have ever had in my life. I tell people about this restaurant and my wonderful experience eating there all the time. In fact, I was online looking up something completely different when I suddenly decided to look up the Kiwi again (hoping to find a menu) and decided to leave a review that was positive regarding the FOOD, because it was the best meal I have ever eaten in my 41 years. Do not miss it - and order the stuffed halibut. OMG delicious! I wish I could relocate the Kiwi to San Diego! And the atmosphere was gorgeous! A beautiful first night in La Paz!

Reviewed 3 April 2015

A great breakfast restaurant with absolutely the best location in La Paz! You can sit outside under palm trees with the waves breaking just below. Breakfast is a specialty and you cannot beat the price; although the service can be slow depending upon the number of customers. But, the very friendly staff well makes up for any delay in service. The quality of lunches and dinners can be hit or miss. But, again, the staff and location well make up for any shortcomings.