“Street Food, Todos Santos”
Review of Sushi Express

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sushi Express
Ranked #74 of 99 Restaurants in Todos Santos
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: This is a new addition to Todos Santos's great street food carts.... I write under the name Underground Milkmaid and prefer that to using my real name...
Reviewed 30 July 2011

“You ate WHAT on a hot, dusty street in Mexico? Are you out of your mind?” My friend from LA couldn’t fathom doing such a thing. But, hey…this is Todos Santos! Sure we have hot dusty dirt roads, but I have NEVER gotten sick from any of our street carts. On the contrary….I regularly eat some of my most memorable meals this way, especially when I’m on the run…(another unfathomable idea for most city folk to wrap their minds around….that any of us are actually busy and need to eat fast sometimes).
Anyway, a most welcome addition to our already excellent street fare selections is George’s Sushi Express. I know…sounds pretty daring, especially with no electricity to power up any refrigeration. But believe me, this is the real deal and everything is kept super fresh on ice and served up quite lovingly by Jorge Amador.
Jorge’s mother-in-law is Ana San…known for her own restaurant and sushi making family. Jorge trained with Ana for 4 years, and when he closes up shop at Sushi Express, he and his wife Kenia work 7 nights a week at Ana’s new location, across the street from the Pemex Station. Ana also has a sushi chef son, Chopin, who serves his marvelous sushi selections at popular Mario’s Bar in El Hotelito. Jorge jokingly referred to his cart as part of a “cadena”….a chain.
Located across the street from Banorte, there are two umbrella tables for sitting and watching who goes to the ATM or gets their car washed, or you can take your order to go. Ana’s dad is a local fisherman, so you can be sure the fish is straight from the boat. There’s sashimi, shrimp, scallops and crab, when in season, as well. I had the delicious spicy rolls with dorado and lobster caviar, and super tasty Philadelphia rolls with cream cheese and shrimp. Everything comes with the usual soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger. Jorge also offers a variety of shrimp tempura dishes, too. Prices range from 20p for two pieces of fish sushi Nigiri, to 85p for the most expensive dishes on the menu, spicy scallop rolls or Mazago shrimp rolls with avocado.
It’s fun to just stand there watching Jorge prepare your order…and shoot the breeze about what’s happening in town. He hails from one of Todos Santos’s oldest familias. He’s a lovely guy and his Sushi Express is a tasty winner.