“Getting busy”

Huatulco Dive Center
Ranked #2 of 36 Tours in Huatulco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Huatulco Dive Center as a PADI Resort offer you diving courses from beginners until professional level, diving trips, special diving trips, snorkeling trips, bays tour and fishing trips. Your safety, happiness and relax are our priorities!!! Let our PADI Instructors guiding you in the great scuba dive world of the Mexican Pacific Ocean on board of our 33 feet boat "MAKO" perfectly equipped, organized and comfortable for diving/snorkeling/fishing and touring.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Overall I was pretty happy with this shop. However I do have one complaint.

As a fully certified open water diver I don't want to dive with discovery divers that have only watched a 20 minute video. I pay to have a dive master/guide on my dive and do that because I feel like that is the safest way to dive. When My dive master is preoccupied with 3-4 other completely inexperienced divers it takes away from my enjoyment of the experience. These Discover divers are always near panic and flailing about, so they ruin any vis and scare away all the fish. They also have little or no idea of etiquette and are constantly coming up under me or coming down on top of me, As a result I am forced to swim way wide of them and miss many of the attractions that the guide is pointing out. Then we always have to return to the boat way before experienced divers need to as they burn through their air at least twice as fast as an experienced diver, again, taking away from my dive (for which i paid full price)

So my advice would be to either host experienced divers and discover divers on different days or get another master diver/ guide so that the 2 groups do not have to go together. I feel that I should be a priority as well, to my master diver as I have paid to have a safe and good dive with the full attention of my guide. This could also be viewed as a safety concern, but as the diving in the Huatulco area is relatively shallow, I was not worried about that, but others may be. I have no idea the legalities that cover discovery diving.

Otherwise, the sites were good and close and the dive masters very competent, with great pictures for going through the dives beforehand. I would dive with this company again, but I would book to go on days that did not include discovery dives, and I would specify that to the shop beforehand when I was in the booking process. Ana, I am sure, would be open to that and would be accommodating.

1  Thank BanditTravels
LucaHDC, Owner at Huatulco Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Thank you for your very kind review, we're happy that you enjoyed your 4 days of diving (8 dives in total), sad that you maybe misunderstood the situation of your last dive.
The other divers was 2 Discover Scuba Diver and 1 certified diver plus you and your buddy plus your friend who was recently certified Open Water Diver with us (the day before).
About this situation I can assure you that HDC didn't violate any PADI standard, actually the ratio for a DSD is 4:1. (for student per 1 instructor) in Open Water.
About the attention of your divemaster (Instructor) I'm sorry that you feel to had less attention, actually I remember the desire of your friend to spot a turtle and I personally bring you and her at 4-6 feet from the turtle to enjoy more the experience and also I made before the safety stop with the DSD and after come back down to continue to dive with you, so I think that can be described as a personal service, the kind of quality service that HDC always try to provide to our divers.

Finally I'm happy that you enjoyed the underwater life of Huatulco and I want to assure you that we already have the plan for the next season to have one more instructor in our team.

Cheers.

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

They were wonderful to work with. Our boys finished their exam and open water dives to get certified. Luca and David did a great job with them. Then we all dove together. I would highly recommend them if you want to dive in Huatulco.

1  Thank Cindy A
LucaHDC, Owner at Huatulco Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Hello Cindy, thank you very much for your nice review! It was very nice to complete your sons certification course to make the family Anderson dive together!!
We hope to see you next time! Keep diving together!

Reviewed 20 March 2017

I went diving a few times with Huatulco Dive Center while I was in town. Their boat was super clean, new and very nice. The staff was amazing! SO friendly and so helpful. Everything from the booking to the diving was above expectations. I also really appreciated that they separated divers based on experience level. As a very advanced diver, it's a little frustrating to get put with new divers (you experienced divers know what I am talking about!). The dive masters were great- and the boat captain took extra time to chase down a whale that was breaching in the area. We had the luck of literally being RIGHT ON TOP of it, and it breaching RIGHT in front of our boat. An experience I will NEVER forget. These guys are hands down the best dive shop in Huatulco.

1  Thank holly4scuba

Hi Holly!! Thank you very much for this amazing review from you! It's very gratifying to read this words from a very experience diver that has had many other experiences with dive shops around the world, and know that you think that about ours, well, it is very nice for us and for all our staff.
We thank you again for choosing us as your new dive center in Huatulco, we're looking forward to dive with you again ;)
Luca.

Reviewed 17 March 2017

I found this dive centre on TripAdvisor and with both of my daughters wanting to get certified emailed. Ana was incredibly helpful and arranged everything prior to our trip.
Once there David was incredibly patient and helpful with both of my daughters and I had no hesitation in letting them go off on their own as I went back to the resort. Incredibly professional, but with ease, and I would recommend to anyone looking to learn or dive with a great group. Thanks Ana and David! Look forward to returning to Huatulco.

1  Thank geb11

Hello Glen, thank you for this nice review! We are glad you felt comfortable with us, thank you for your trust. It was very nice to meet you and your girls, they did it great during their certification course. I hope you guys will come back soon so we can dive all together! David and Ana say hello to you!!!
Luca.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

Enjoyed two great dives with Luca on a short boat drive from the harbour to a pinnacle and wall dive. There was a bit of surge so the visibility wasn't great but we still had a great dive as Luca has a very good eye! We spotted eels, gobies, octopus, rays, nudibranch and lots more. I hadn't dived in a couple of years but felt like I hadn't missed a day. Ana and Luca get you and your gear sorted quickly and easily for a relaxing, safe and fun dive experience.

1  Thank Ash604
LucaHDC, Owner at Huatulco Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2017

Hello Liz,

thank you for your nice comments, it was super fun dive with you and find some cute critters during our dives.

Let us know how is the diving in NZ.
Cheers.