“I can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The Hotel Playa staff and management were incredible. They anticipated and fulfilled all of our needs and expectations. Clean property, wonderful service, and a smiling face everywhere! The beach location and the proximity to all the other shops and restaurants in the "Golden Zone" were perfect...walking distance to everything! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2013
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear valued guest (Fedoraman)

We can’t wait to have you back! I am glad to hear that everything met or exceeded expectations, please don’t hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of personal service.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I just got married at the hotel. Everything was absolutely perfect. The staff was wonderful and willing to accommodate with no fuss. There were many people there and the staff was there to help with anything without hesitation.
The rooms were great and all with great views. Te water was always hot and pressure incredible! There were so many different things to do. Kids club, pools, massages, gym, beach and numerous bars and restaurants to fulfill everyone's desires.
My wedding was gorgeous. The set up and ceremony and reception went as smoothly as any bride (zilla) could hope for. I love Mazatlan and plan on returning MANY more times.
My one complaint...in room #550 it would have been nice to have a full length mirror (unless I just missed it).
Thanks from the bottom of my heart to Lance and everyone at the hotel for making my week and my wedding the BEST I could have asked for!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear valued guest (Kschliess)

Hi Katie, it was an honor to have the opportunity to be a part of this occasion with you and your family. I can only hope that we truly met your expectations. We will look forward to having you come back son, and maybe this time get to hang out and see the sites together more. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for anything else that comes up. I will look into installing a mirror in 550.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Spent some time researching hotels be exactly where I wanted to be on the beach - and couldn't have been more pleased with my decision!

We booked an ocean view room, and got a GREAT ocean view hotel room (356). Not sure how we lucked out! Nice king sized bed, huge wraparound patio, huge walk in shower with the BEST pressure that I have ever had anywhere! We had a beautiful view from the porch overlooking the palapas on the beach. In the evening we had a nice view of the couples dancing the night away at the restaurant down below!

We stayed by the main pool one day and watched all of the pool activities. We were there during Nationals holiday/Cinco de Mayo weekend and the place was packed with families. I think that there might have been one other American/Canadian couple at the entire resort this weekend! It was fun to watch all of the kids play in the pool, even if we couldn’t understand them!

We had spent the first part of our trip elsewhere and spent most of our time by a pool – and I actually can say that I missed interacting with the beach vendors! So it was nice to see them for a few days here - especially loved Henry! Beautiful stretch of beach. Nice lunch next door at Joe’s Oyster Bar. Our beach day at the Playa was probably my most favorite day of vacation!

We were only here for three days, so cannot comment on all of the amenities. Juan and others at the front desk was excellent and despite a huge line at check-in, it took less than ten minutes and our room was ready for us at noon. Bonus! Free wi-fi – just ask at the desk. There wasn’t a room safe in our room, but I saw that they did have them behind the front desk.

I definitely would considering staying here again!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room (356) overlooking the palapas and the beach. Awesome!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iameless
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Dear valued guest (iameless)

I would like to personally thank you for such positive feedback on your stay. I am happy to hear that you met some of the characters of Mazatlan like Henry and probably Jose or Ramon. I am as well pleased to hear that you enjoyed some of the sites and sound of the hotel; I hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Warm traditional Mexican decor, incredibly expansive beach, the open air cafe on the beach to take in the warm ocean breezes with live music every evening (courteously ending around midnight on weeknights), friendly attentive servers, spotlessly clean rooms, showers with lots of hot water and good pressure and a very helpful concierge. What more could anyone ask for. As this was a trip I had always wanted but my family (husband and three young adult boys) not so much, I was nervous to make sure it all went right. I booked the initial reservation through Signature Vacations (which I will review separately but it was without a hitch) and then because I was feeling unsure, I contacted the General Operations Manager, Lance Viente, (who had impressed me by responding to all the comments from this site) and he responded very quickly and set me up with a key reservation person named Abril who was incredibly patient and prompt with all my questions. She was awesome and really put me at ease. After talking with them about our needs as a family, we upgraded to the Cielito Lindo Penthouse which has a lovely wide balcony and an incredible view of the beach from one end to the other along with a pool view room which adjoined it through a tiny open air courtyard. It had a large living room, a dining area with an amazing domed skylight done in brick and tile. I won’t go into all the details but you can see it on the hotel website. It was so perfect for us! Beautiful and comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to all but groups of young people looking to party as it is definitely not that. It is, however, right beside Oyster Joe’s and it is always better to have the party nearby instead of your hotel. There are 3 pools but none on the beach side and they are well suited to families and children. There seemed to be a constant buffet which was mostly traditional Mexican foods and there was an a la carte Mexican restaurant and a really good Italian restaurant as well. There was delicious ceviche from the snack bar by the ocean and hot, fresh quesadillas at the poolside snackbar and always icy cold beer. The all inclusive was seamless and with three young men - it was a bargain! The open air cafe is right below our room and I went to sleep listening to live mariachi music every night and awoke to the sound of the surf, pigeons and smell of coffee and bacon from the plaza below me. I rated my quality of sleep as poor but only because the bed was so firm it made me quite sore and uncomfortable, my husband however loved it and said it was perfect. The mattress is new and a quality Simmons mattress but, like most of Mexico as I have learned, it is on a concrete block instead of a bedspring - which makes sense once explained to me as the springs get noisy in the humidity. We met Lance (who is the grandson of the man who started the Hotel) and he was just as charming and attentive in person as he was by email. He shared with us some of the history of the property including the fact that our room had been personally designed by his grandmother, which made me love it even more. There is a Starbucks one block away (if you fancy that) and lots of little shops to meander around on the street. Elizabeth, the Concierge, spoke English well and was great at helping out with all our questions. We scooted all over Old Mazatlan and New Mazatlan and never felt unsafe. Thank you Lance, April, Elizabeth for your kind helpful service and to your staff as well. Mazatlan was warm and wonderful and I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far west are quietest, rooms in the middle oceanview will have some noise from the La T...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DebiHarp
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear valued guest (DebiHarp)

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive comment about our resort, your experience here and Mazatlan in general. It was a great pleasure to meet you and Scott, and I hope that we will see you down here again soon. I will personally thank April and Elizabeth for making such a positive impression through service. You are definitely the kind of client that makes me think of one of our marketing quotes…. “The tan might fade, but the memories will last forever”… or even better “Mazatlan…the only threat is that you will never want to leave”.
In regards to the “hard” bed, maybe next time we can plan and I will see about trying to get a box spring for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We returned after a hiatus of 7 years to our clean comfortable "home away from home". We found it as appealing as ever. The staff is knowledgable, friendly & very helpful. We called ahead & found they contract with a cab company. The driver met us as we arrived, taking us directly to the Playa.
We saw Henry of "Hats by Henry" the first day, he remembered us, asking us to tell everyone to come to Mazatlan it is safe, warm & beautiful.

Room Tip: Ocean View is our choice!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear valued guest (Sharon M)

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay here at the playa Mazatlan. We are glad to hear that you canceled your hiatus and came back to find things as good or better than ever. Henry is one of those characters here at the beach that can remember everyone he has meet regardless of how long you have been gone, and yes I do agree with his statements. Please feel free to contact me directly in future if i can be of service in planning your next visit.