Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$338
US$284
US$241
US$184
Bookit.com
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$196
US$396
US$220
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$149
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$154
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$271
US$182
Hotel Mousai(Puerto Vallarta)
US$352
US$324
  • Pool
All reviewscoexist cafeco existrestaurant downstairsstreet noiseno elevatorsmall poolexcellent locationromantic zonerooms are cleanqueen bedfront desk staffconvenient locationsuperior roombudget hotelthe air conditioningrestaurants and shopshard beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

Great location just seconds from the beach front. It's on a very busy road but because the balcony doors are double glazed most of the traffic noise is isolated. My room was very clean and well maintained and serviced well every day by housekeeping. The informal restaurant on the ground floor was very nice with plenty of servers, I only used it for breakfast which was superb. WiFi is a little patchy in some spots but I suppose it depends which room you are in. Very welcoming reception staff with Felix being a particular standout. Knowledgeable and friendly. All in all it's pretty hard to fault the place especially as the prices won't break the average bank balance. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Well done all round.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank David M
Reviewed 9 February 2017

Hotel Rio is a bargain! Comfortable room, ideal location, and helpful front desk. The location is one block from the Malecon (waterfront) and in neighborhood with many restaurants and retail stores. We enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel with pleasant tables around the pool. Our room, while small, had effective air conditioning, new TV, and the convenient outlets for device charging. It appears to have been recently remodeled. We had a reservation glitch (my fault) and the front desk worked with me to get it straightened out. No question we will stay here again.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 619henry
Reviewed 3 February 2017

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, especially helping me sort out a bus reservation heading south later in my stay. This is an older hotel with improvements to some rooms, very well located in old town. The inner courtyard with pool, patio and the hotel restaurant (Co-Exist), all contribute to a nice atmosphere. My wife and I had some disappointments though.

We booked Superior Room but the one we were shown to on the second floor (#208, if I recall, which is one up level up from reception) was quite small compared to the advertised size, plus one of the windows had a 4 foot long crack in it masked over by fraying clear tape. Staff tried to find us a replacement but no luck - we were were offered an upgrade to a Deluxe King with kitchenette - but only if we would pay in full for it. We did so, and that room was so much bigger, even though it is advertised as the same size as a Superior. However, the sink and shower fixtures were old and unattractive, even though the Deluxe and Superiors are supposed to be fully renovated. And the kitchenette was a bit lacking too, eg. no bottle opener or corkscrew. Staff sent someone out to buy one for us.

Many of the rooms have a strong WIFI connection, but ours had none. (fyi our room was I think #309, a third floor corner unit with a little view out to Banderas Bay.) The room was otherwise attractive, spacious and pretty quiet, even with busy streets below, but I'd not book it again.

As others have said, the location is fantastic, a steps to the Malecon and only 5 minutes walk to the Romantic Zone. HSBC up the street consistently gives a good exchange rate (we'd visited the area once before), though it's best to use one's bank card at the ATM there. There are m any great restaurants nearby and good shopping too.

We'd eaten at the hotel restaurant several times on another visit to the area, and were very happy with the service, quality and reasonable prices. The one time we ate there on this visit the service was dead slow and the food was poorly prepared. Maybe just a bad moment. The setting is lovely with a quiet interior courtyard view over the swimming pool.

Room Tip: Avoid #309 as the corner location prevents it from getting WIFI.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnMac108
Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

This is our second winter vacationing in Puerto Vallarta and the Hotel Rio. We love the staff and Guadalupe the manager is friendly beyond belief. The location is great and you could easily go anywhere fro this location

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry C
Reviewed 30 January 2017

I am writing this while still staying here in January of 2017. This is my third time staying here, and I am just as impressed as on previous visits. I love this small, low-key, friendly hotel, for so many reasons. The front-desk staff are excellent, friendly and helpful..It was a year ago that I stayed here but the desk clerk welcomed me by name when I arrived! And it 's not like I stayed here for months..just a week! The rooms here are not luxurious, but they are very clean, nicely decorated, and when you turn on the air at night helps block any street noise, which I couldnt hear much with the windows closed anyway. My room this time had a tiny glimpse of the ocean from my balcony, because the malecon is just across the street..but I dont stay here for the view..I can walk across and see the ocean every day anyway and go for a long walk along malecon. The hotel is in a great location, with all areas walkable..Romantic zone is just a 10 minute walk...The cleaning staff were all friendly and kept my room very clean every day. And Co-Exist restaurant is right in the lobby, so convenient for having breakfast or dinner..with friendly staff..Wi fi worked perfectly in my room every day..Several convenience stores are very close, as well as the Starbucks and Scotiabank bank machine for Canadian visitors..just across from the city hall..I much preferstaying in this area to the Romantic Zone which can be a little too crazy at night with loud partiers at the bars, and the crowded sidewalks..So I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a clean, quiet, conveniently located and affordable hotel in PV. Thanks to everyone who works here for my great visit! Wuld also recommend the cozy little Familia Restaurant on the street next to the hotel, where I had very good breakfasts in the morning with delicious cafe de olla, and the RIver Cafe also very close was a lovely quiet restaurant with very good food, and much quieter than some of the noisy and busy places along the malecon and muertos beach.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends