“Good taste, expensive though!”
Review of Garum

Garum
Reserve with OpenTable
Garum is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 5,773 Restaurants in Mexico City
Neighbourhood: Polanco
Neighbourhood: Polanco
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is situated in one of the most beautiful streets of Mexico City.
They offer an outstanding six time taste menu of Mediterranean organic food, but the price is high!
Cocktails and wines are good as well!

Reviewed 4 February 2018

We had not planned to eat here but were wonderfully surprised by this great find! The food was delicious and innovative and the wait staff was attentive and friendly. Don’t miss out on the mushroom dish, one of the best things I’ve ever eaten mine blowing!

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Went there with the wife , whose favourite cuisine is Spanish. Pleasantly surprised by the creativity and temerity to recreate and give a twist to classic Spanish and Mexican fare — not all dishes are home runs, of course, but in general it was a great experience . Refined without being pretentious, innovative while staying true to classics

Reviewed 12 September 2017

The food is good. This was by no means a bad experience and I still recommend visiting, but when you pay over 4,000 MXN (230USD) for dinner for two in Mexico City, you expect a mind blowing experience.

My first impression: It was a cold (14°C) and rainy night. The weather called for a winter-like menu, and yet, the chef's degustation menu was worthy of the warmest summer day in Acapulco. For me that was the first mishit.

We began with an urchin cream. Beautifully plated and very rich in taste. I personally enjoyed it, but I think it was a bit of a blunder to begin with such an intense dish. In my mind, a degustation menu should guide your palate through a gastronomic journey. Yet, this dish is a frontal attack to your mouth, and the rest of the menu does not keep-up with this trend.

We followed up with the corn/truffle foie gras. Lovely presented on the table. The truffle was nicely present, however, the foie was barely noticeable. This was a double disappointment to me for two reasons: 1) I like foie gras and this didn't taste much like it. 2) The suggested pairing was a Sauternes worth about 200USD for a small bottle. Ok, this is a popular pairing, but when the foie is so blend, the sweetness of the Sauternes takes over completely. In the end, this ruined both the dish and the wine. Quite bad for what is supposed to be the Chef's flagship dish.

We followed-up with the highlight of the night: Almond cream with scallops and egg yolk. Lovely dish. Well structured, well balanced. None of the different flavours stood up above the rest. It was fine poetry in a dish. Would go back just for it. The only negative thing about this course was the wine pairing. A California Chardonnay with 6 months aging in oak barrels was rather disappointing for me. The wine itself was not bad, but too/too acid for a lovely cream. It would have been a lot nicer paired with a wine with a little more oak and perhaps more floral/fruit tones. I avoided drinking the wine so I wouldn't ruin my food.

The totoaba fish that followed was average. The consistency was perfect, but the taste rather blend. I did not finish it. I do not have much more to add about this dish.

The oxtail: One of the nicest I have tried. It is hard to go wrong with Oxtail if it is done well, and this one definitely is well done. Lovely presentation accompanied with a Mole sauce and a wild banana purée. Lovely. However, once more the wine pairing was completely off. I tried the wine ahead and decided to change the suggested wine for a Tempranillo Crianza. It was ok, but nothing beyond that.

The dessert, well structured and refined. A mixture of textures and temperatures that I found very appealing to close the night with. I would have appreciated a wine pairing for the dessert, although judging by the previous experiences, maybe it was better like this.

So, all in all, a possitive experience but not a night I will remember.

What would I suggest the Chef? Cook according to the day, not only the season; supervise your sommelier and endorse his pairing calls; design your menu in a way that guides your diners through... Build up the experince one dish at the time.

Thank you for taking your time to read this review.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We ended here because we read in various magazines about this chef's new place. It was kind of disappointing. We asked for the tasting menu, the food overall was average, the asparagus and the oysters were terrible, the mushroom plate was ok, the foie gras was average, the fish was kind of cold and the meat was terrible! the service is very good, the place is nice with good decoration and the kitchen view is nice. We expected much more from a michelin star chef. Prices are very high.