1,131 results
All reviews jose andres living room bar polanco area walking distance high floor rain shower great area business trip rooms are spacious great room wake up call business traveler restaurants and shops safe neighborhood chapultepec park felt very safe hammocks
Reviewed 22 November 2007

First let me say that this is nice looking hotel in a great neighborhood (Polanco). Second, the staff are friendly and the spa is wonderful. Unfortunately, the shoddy construction of this hotel overshadows any of the positives.

The constant, mind-boggling noise (from within the hotel as I was on a high floor) made my 4 days (er, nights) a horrific experiment in sleep deprivation. In addition to hearing everything going on in the rooms around and above me (eg, showers, toilets, walking, blasting stereos), there were a number of loud "events", at any time of day or night, that I could neither figure out what they were nor where they might be coming from.

In addition, I had to twice ask housekeeping to stop vacuuming and talking right outside my door before 8 am (on a weekend). But, what was most mystifying (and maddening) were the smells that awoke me on 2 different nights. The first was cigarette smoke and the second was what can only be described as cooking grease. Both odors lasted for 2-3 hours.

Other, less serious issues: turn down service did not show up on 2 of the 4 nights; the internet charge is 190 pesos (about $20) per day; water is not potable and the in-room per bottle charge is about $10.

I emailed the hotel over a week ago about the noise concerns and never heard back so can only advise caution before staying at this hotel.

Date of stay: November 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank TravelRichly
Reviewed 14 October 2007

First, let me preface this review by saying that I'll probably go back to this hotel, I suspect the problems I suffered were temporary. I actually like the W and will certainly give Mexico City W a second chance. My experiences there previously were quite good.

The Mexico City W is in Polanco, a great location. It's next to the JW Marriott and the Intercontinental. I've friends in the neighborhood and it's convenient to several of the meetings I have to do when in town.

The hotel itself is a good example of what the W is known for: kind of hip with a nice mood, excellent service, and great surroundings.

That said, my stay had some serious problems. First off, my room had no hot water two mornings in a row. Rather than move me to another room, the staff "fixed" the problem, but it seemed only temporarily as hot water came and went. Waited for a while but was forced to take cold showers. Needless to say, I was late for my morning meetings on both days. This is unacceptable for what is supposedly a top-end value proposition hotel.

Second, the hall to my room and at times my room smelled moldy (only way to describe it). I've experienced this kind of odor in cheap hotels, but never something like the W. It became distracting after a while. I visited another floor out of curiosity and did not encounter the same odor. I've no idea what caused it. Mexico City isn't the type of climate to create excessive dampness, I don't think.

I did complain and received apologies and what not from the staff, but apparently there was no room to move me to another room or maybe they just didn't feel it necessary. Or possibly, the hot water problem was something several floors were experiencing. Whatever the cause, lack of hot water and strange odors might be acceptable at a cheap tourist motel, but not at the W.

That said, I'll probably give them another try before avoiding them in the future. My previous experiences with the W have been almost uniformly positive. Nonetheless, thought I'd record this terrible experience for the record.

Date of stay: October 2007
6  Thank Two-Wheel_Traveler
Reviewed 24 September 2007

Went to mexico city on business, stayed at the W which is one of the more trendy hotels in the area. I've been to W hotels and I'm aware of the designery queues so it was no suprise this was the case here. It was a welcome change considering how rough Mexico City is, its a real contrast in how different social classes enjoy the city.

checkin was uneventful, staff was very helpful and i was in my room in no time.

The room is a pretty good size, the shower / bathroom has no doors on it to seperate it as a new room, rather instead they take up the end of the room with a floor to ceiling window with the mexico city landscape. It takes some getting used to and actually it was problematic on the first day because i like to take really hot showers and before i knew it the whole room was steamed up. So much so that the fire alarm went off.. oops.
It was rather embarassing but apparently it happens on occasion so the staff came up but they werent all that alarmed.

The decor had some nice touches.
It felt like a modern design that was actually modern and not the fake modern that cheaper hotels claim to fake on you.

The shower had a hammock in it .. im not sure what that was all about but it had a wall of jets and it was a surreal experience showering with a huge window overlooking the city in the distance. The bed was really comfortable, its very low to the ground tho so if you have bad knees or something its probably not going to be to your liking.

Everything is overpriced as expected, the bar area had some beautiful but very snobby patrons. On business this didnt bother me much but as a tourist i'd probably be really turned off.
You really get turned off from feeling comfortable.

The restaurant had some good food. It wasnt as pricey as I expected and the food was quite good.

Overall, i wouldnt stay here as a tourist however if i am there on business it is a step above on where you could be staying.

I wasnt that fond of mexico city in general.

Date of stay: May 2007
1  Thank lcastanon
Reviewed 29 August 2007

This was a nice surprise. The "W" is a modern hotel, with a unique décor, and excellent service. The attention to details is everywhere, from the music playing in the CD player when you first enter the room, to the open plan shower room. For the first time in several years, on a business trip, I had a pleasant and exciting stay in a hotel. The location is very good, everything feels contemporary, and it would be perfect placed near, or within, the Tate Modern. The food is very good, and the staff very courteous and helpful - they opened the business centre for me at 03:00 AM local time (09:00 AM in London), so that I could access the internet. That is outstanding, and it was done with a smile. The unique décor may be a bit tiring, so I am not sure if I would go for a very long stay, but for any trips under 10 days the “W” is my choice of hotel in Mexico City.

Date of stay: August 2007
3  Thank MHSV_MG
Reviewed 6 August 2007

I stayed for one night at the W and all I can say is that I did not want to leave. Plush beds, spacious rooms, good spa, excellent (but pricey) food... but the best part was the service. Security was top notch, bellemn always helped, room service was quick and extremely efficient and housekeeping was excellent. The design of the room is very modern and I loved the hammock in the shower and triple head shower. Only thing I was not crazy about was the red walls, but the bed was so maazing you fall asleep quickly. I booked through otel.com and had no issues. I will go back for sure!

Date of stay: August 2007