Free cancellation until 28/07
US$110
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Azul Cielo Hostel(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$202
US$215
US$209
US$219
All reviewshome away from homestayed herepousadathelmacentrocity
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed at the Posada Santa Maria for two weeks several years ago and loved it for its delicious breakfasts, clean and spacious rooms, warm and charming proprietor, Bibiana, and its incredibly low price. I was able to get contact info for Bibiana from a TripAdvisor traveler and I want to post it here because I had a hard time finding it. The email is posadastamaria@hotmail.com, and the web site is posadasantamaria.com.mx. The other reviews here describe my past experience at this posada and I'm looking forward to my stay there in February of next year.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I just made my reservations for a trip to Oaxaca to study Spanish and stay at the Posada Santa Maria when I realized I had neglected to write a review from my last visit. So sorry, as I love it there. The location is perfect and very close to the Oacacan Cultural Institute for Spanish (1 block) and it is across from a lovely pack. The rooms are very nice, spacious, clean and well cared for with a locking closet and cahir and desk. Large private bath with shower only. There is Mexican TV but heck, I am suppoded to be studying Spanish.
Bibiana and Thelma are 2 wonderful kind people. Thelma is the housekeeper and Bibiana owns the Posada. Breakfasts are tasty, nutricious and vary each day.

Room Tip: Some rooms have one double bed wheile others have 2. As a single traveller i had one bed. if my husband ever decides to join me, I'd get a room with 2 beds.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Liquipure
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I've just returned from my sixth stay at the Posada Santa Maria in Oaxaca, Oaxaca. I will continue to return thanks to the welcoming and family-oriented atmosphere. The posada has five private rooms. All rooms include private baths, television and comfortable beds. They are decorated with crafts and bedspreads made in Oaxaca. Breakfast is provided, and it's a good way to meet the other guests and share experiences. The owner, Bibiana, speaks English and her concern for the comfort of her guests is evident. I travel alone ( age 61), and I highly recommend staying at the posada if you want adventure, and at the same time, want a home environment. I have always felt safe in Oaxaca. You can make reservations by e-mailing posadasantamaria@hotmail.com.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I stayed here for over a month. It's an adorable, very clean, and affordable little posada run by two charming ladies that go out of there way to always make you feel at home. I can't wait to stay with them again next time I'm in Oaxaca :)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We were searching for a place to stay in Oaxaca since we were flying in long after sunset and did not want to stumble around in the dark while trying to find a place to stay in a city we did not know. By using Tripadvisor and the internet we found several affordable B&Bs and decided to try the Posada Santa Maria. It was a gem and we made a great decision. We stayed for three nights at first, left town for several days, and then stayed for five more nights when we returned. The owner, Bibiana spoke perfect English (she had been an English teacher and her B&B was converted from her own private English school when she retired from teaching five years ago.
The posada has five rooms. Ours was very clean and included a nice full bathroom with almost instant very hot water which is not always the case in Mexico, a desk, two chairs, comfortable beds, closet and drawers, TV (local channels only), lots of large bottles of water and large bars of soap, and, of course, a wonderful breakfast each morning. Thelma was the cook who provided a special hot breakfast each morning and they were different each day. In addition, there was also fruit, juice, coffee or tea, breads, granola, and yogurt. We were asked upon arrival if there was anything we liked for breakfast and my wife answered papaya and we had that four of our mornings. We ate in Bibiana's house in her dining room where we shared travel stories with other guests and Bibiana. She was willing to chat with us as much as we wanted and shared lots of information about Oaxaca and Mexico. There were also wash tubs and lines for drying our wash that we were welcome to use. We peeked in a couple of other rooms when they were not occupied and they were also very nice. It is not fancy but cute and comfortable and clean.
The posada was a full KM from the center of town but only about three or four blocks from the first class bus station which makes it easy to get there if you come to Oaxaca by bus.
There are cafes and restaurants close by and the Parque Juarez is right across the street and you are only one block away from the Teatro Juarez where we took in a handful of musical programs. Try to be there on Fridays which is market day in the park with lots to buy and eat on Fridays. The English library is only about two or three blocks away too.
We loved Bibiana's posada. Clean, safe, and comfortable plus those breakfasts and information from Bibiana. She charges $20 for one person or $32 for a couple so it is also very affordable. You do pay in pesos according to the exchange rate on the day you pay. She likes to have foreigners who are studying Spanish in Oaxaca but gladly spoke English with us once she heard our Spanish. LOL We truly give it our highest recommendation. She has a website with photos and will communicate with you by e-mail. We did not have to put any money down for a reservation. Just confirm with a second e-mail of our arrival date and approximate time. So easy and so nice.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple