All reviewsrooftop terracehonesty baryogurtsmall hotelcharming hotelfew blockswe loved our staybring earplugspan dulcemonte albannoisecitycourtyardpesosfountainclaracentro
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Azucenas is not trendy, not does it have the slick look of the boutique hotels. The building, the decorations, and the staff embody the subtle grace of Oaxaca itself. During my stay, which could not have been easy for the management to handle as I kept extending my residence, they rose with firendly professionalism to each of my requests. They did whatever was needed to ensure that I had a comfortable bed every night. I wanted to see Lila Downs perform. Tickets and logistics were gracefully sorted out. And every glorious morning on the terrace, I enjoyed fresh local fruits, juice, coffee, granola, and pan dulce. The rooms are not large, and some can be a bit dark. But the sleeping was sound, and the location in the middle of everything. I just hope they have room for me on my next visit to one of the truly magical cities on earth.

Room Tip: rooftop rooms can be a bit noisier in the morning owing to the breakfast crowd.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2017

We stayed here over two years ago now and am finally getting round to writing this review: mainly because I've realised it's one of the nicest places I've stayed. It's not a luxury hotel but is very good value; it has a lovely rooftop area where you can sit and watch the sunset over the town with a beer - the views are fantastic. The rooms are nice and comfortable. The breakfast is really good. The staff are beyond helpful and welcoming. In fact, my partner and I had accidentally left a small suitcase in a shared taxi when we got dropped off on our first night. Although it was nearly midnight when we realised, the very kind member of staff (I think she was normally the breakfast waitress but was in charge of reception that night) managed to track down the shared taxi based only on my receipt and get the suitcase returned to us within an hour. I was so grateful to her!
We had only planned to stay three nights but ended up staying five nights as it was so relaxing and lovely there, and you can't beat a simple but perfectly formed hotel in the heart of a place like Oaxaca, with a great view.

Room Tip: The best room is on the second floor next to the breakfast room.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tonky_from_the_shire
Reviewed 6 May 2017

The 10-room hotel actually operates more like a B&B, the building with courtyard and roof terrace is charming.
A good breakfast service (Ptas 50 per person) is available on the roof terrace and during the day drinks including beer (no wine) can be obtained there but restaurant service is not available.
Coffee lovers will appreciate the complimentary delivery service to the room in the morning after getting up.
The rooms all with walk-in bathrooms have different sizes but are not very spacious, some have windows to the street (1, 7, 8) others open to the courtyard and some have no opening windows.
Cooling in the rooms is by tower fans that are not very effective and take floor space, a major improvement would be the installation or ordinary ceiling fans.
The hotel has a parking space in front only for unloading and loading of a car, street parking in the area like everywhere in town is quite difficult and the use of one of the (paid) garages in the area might be preferred.

Room Tip: Room 7 is oddly shaped with some inefficient floor space is and somewhat stuffy, the in room Wi-Fi reception is weak, last choice.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

We loved our stay at Azucenas. The hotel itself is a beautifully restored colonial home, colourful and quaint in the traditional local style. This adds to your experience of the local culture from the get-go. The rooms (under 10 in total, which helps to maintain an intimate and homely atmosphere) are simple, but offer everything needed for a comfortable stay (double bed, wardrobe, dresser and private bathroom with a shower). In addition, they are clean (with daily servicing) and well maintained.

The upstairs balcony is a special feature, offering expansive views of the city centre. A great place to enjoy a beer (available at the hotel) and complimentary chilli-and-garlic infused peanuts. Coffee is freely available around the clock, but breakfast comes at an additional charge. (We received fruit, muesli, yoghurt and freshly baked bread for just under 60 pesos.)

Hotel staff were friendly, professional and helpful at all times, going out of their way to ensure an enjoyable stay for us (offering advice on local and nearby attractions and restaurants; calling taxis when we needed them and providing umbrellas for rainy-day excursions). The location is also great - a few blocks away from the zocalo and the hub of the inner city, making most key attractions a relatively easy walk away. In fact, we only used our car to travel to Monte Alban. (That being said, we did do quite a lot of walking, strolling through most of the central district... Bring comfortable walking shoes!)

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Small no frills hotel (no TV, no phone in rooms) that offers great value for the price: good location (close to downtown but in a not very noisy street), very clean and comfortable rooms, extremely friendly staff that provides great advice on everything. Very nice roof terrace. Breakfast not included, but the continental breakfast offered for only 58 pesos is excellent. Decent WiFi reception.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo