All reviews great location continental breakfast rooms are large the main square front desk staff lovely courtyard small hotel nice room loved this hotel the ground floor felt very safe each morning downtown oaxaca few blocks santo domingo casa city
Reviewed 25 April 2018

Purpose of trip: Tourism, First timers in Oaxaca.

Hotel grounds: 19th century charm, inviting courtyard, nice relaxing area on top floor.

Staff: Everyone except for one male Front Desk clerk was awesome. He was not welcoming and you could not crack a smile from him.
Kudos to the hotel Manager; he was responsive and greeted us every time we passed him. Also Kudos to staff members Adelia and Maria who went above and beyond!

Rooms: The rooms surrounding the Courtyard have an old world feel. Lacking was light and sound protection.
We moved to the more modernized rooms on the top floor due to the noise. These rooms could use a retouch and note, there was a swinging door for the toilet (not completely private). Other than that, it was a good night’s rest.
Note, during my stay, the staff was upgrading a room in the courtyard and they stated all the rooms were going to be revamped. We took a peek and it was nice; rustic furniture and the room color was a relaxing pastel.

Hotel Restaurant: Only utilized it for the complimentary continental breakfast and a few cocktails.

Location: Ideal! Close to the Zocalo and walking distance to the Andador Turistico, Iglesia Santo Domingo, and the city Mercados. Felt safe walking around...

Final comments: Good choice but would also consider reviewing other hotels in the same price range.

Date of stay: April 2018
1  Thank bigedr
Martín B, Gerente at Casa de Sierra Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Thanks for your comments, now days the Front Desk Clerk not work more with us.
For us is very important that our guests feel good in the Casa de Sierra Azul Hotel.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Be very careful when dealing with this hotel... they've lied on multiple social media sites (hotel.com, booking.com, expedia, orbitz, etc.). Dont book unless cancelled and fully refundable. Hotel is not pet friendly. Overrated.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank PatPS

We never had the opportunity to serve you.
We are pet friendly hotel, but if you want to have your pet with you in the hotel, this have a cost, and all the information about of the rules pets is on our website
www.hotelcasadesierrazul.com
We refoundeded your money

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

First, they claim to be a four star hotel and charge relatively high prices accordingly. Perhaps it was 4 stars once, but not in years. While the building is authentically old and well located, there are issues. Our room, #7, was on the ground floor in the main courtyard. It is airless, and the only (small) window that opens overlooks the staircase, meaning that anyone using the stairs can peek right in. In addition, there were lights on all night just outside our room. So opening that window is not an option. There is another light source just above the TV, so they’ve put a pull down shade in front of it, which doesn’t really shut out the light either. I used my eyepatches to get some sleep. The shower nozzle in the bathroom was old and sprayed water everywhere the first time I tried to shower. To their credit, they replaced it the next day, after I said something. There were also some other noticeable maintenance issues, such as peeling and crumbling wall in the bathroom and a mirror that had lost its silver in places.

In short, I felt we really overpaid for the quality of our stay.

The best thing about the included breakfast was the guava marmalade and a nice plate of fresh fruit, served in the pretty courtyard. I wanted eggs, which were 60 pesos extra. It felt stingy, somehow.

They could also do well to infuse the staff with a bit of the legendary Mexican hospitality. While I speak Spanish, I had the impression that several of the people at the front desk spoke little English. Some of the front desk staff seemed indifferent to us when we asked politely for information, and some of what they told us was flat out wrong. Like which village we should go to for red pottery handcrafts. Or what time we should leave for the airport to catch our flight. Or the fact that reservations are required for Los Danzantes, a popular restaurant. (We showed up without one and were told they were fully booked for dinner all week. ☹️)

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an upscale place to enjoy the charms of Oaxaca. Hostal La Noria is across the street at half the price and looks comparable to Casa Sierra Azul.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathkenn

All the comments are important for us, because that help us to be better and work hard to resolve the problems.
Thanks.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

The location is great. Only 3 blocks from the zocalo. The area is very safe. We walked everyday around the town area with no trouble. We were lucky and got a room at the back yard, it is private and quiet. The room is very clean and the beds are comfortable. The room includes continental breakfast and the fruit and orange juice were so fresh and sweet. The only problem was as much as ours as theirs. The reception ladies do not understand and speak English but some days we had one of th gee reception men who speaks good English and was very helpful. On our last day, it was a Friday and the manager gave every women a carnation. Thank you for the great hospitality.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for your comments, we are going to try the resolve the language trouble.
Is very important that the people that come to Oaxaca know that is a safety city.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

I stopped in for a quick breakfast as Sierra Azul was on my way to my destination. The courtyard/dining area is very pleasant and I received outstanding service. The food was excellent (although I cannot remember what I ordered). Should I return to Oaxaca, I'd certainly consider this venue for lodging.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Martín B, Gerente at Casa de Sierra Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Thanks for take part of your time for write about our service, We hope for the next time that you came Oaxaca, choose Casa de Sierra Azul.