US$280
Andaina Hostel(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$25
Azul Cielo Hostel(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$42
US$22
Casa Gubidxa(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$93
US$76
Orbitz.com
Casa Angel Youth Hostel(Oaxaca)(Great Value!)
US$23
Hostelworld.com
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$221
All reviewshot waterdouble roomother travelersmin walkevery morningsanto domingohostelvolunteersalomexicocityinternettourscooks
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Hostal Pochon is the perfect place to stay with just a 5 min stroll to the Zocalo. Breakfast is included and made fresh everyday from some great local cooks and they mix it up each day. Only the coffee, tea and fresh fruit salad stays the same. The rooms are cheap from only 125 pesos a night, they have a huge kitchen and there's some local markets right across the road to get your fresh produce! The vibe is more chilled than party but you can buy beer right around the corner and it has a great outdoor area to relax in. :) Don't miss out on HP while in Oaxaca the staff and volunteers are very welcoming and I'll be back one day for sure. Thanks Erika!!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2016

We took the largest suite that Hostal Pochon offered, which was only a bit more expensive than a double room without bath. We had a huge comfortable bed, a sitting room, and our own bathroom, even a small balcony! The breakfasts dowstairs in the courtyard were good, and the mixed back-packer clientele was wonderful to spend time with. We were a short walk from all the sites, and yet in a quiet, not-too-touristic part of town.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2016

I stayed for three nights. First, the location is good. Market is right next to the hostel and there is a mart near the hostel. It's close from downtown and is quiet at night. Second, room and bathroom are okay. Bed and sheets are clean and comfortable. Bathroom facility is old but hot shower works well. Third, common kitchen is clean and is convenient to use. Living room has wide screen TV and comfortable sofa. Last, staff are kind and friendly. They handled my check in quickly and gave information about looking around the city. It's not very fancy but good to stay.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2015

For the budget traveller, Hostal Pochon is an absolute steal. This home-away-from-home offers a number of accommodation types, including a junior suite where I stayed for 25 nights in October 2015. Confirming my reservation with a credit card was simple and effortless.

Upon arrival, I was warmly welcomed by Miriam who fills in for Pochon’s convivial owner/operator, Erika Velásquez Durán. Each morning, Alondra (Alo) fed us an appetizing and varied breakfast menu of fresh fruit, coffee and a hot entrée—typically a Mexican plate of beans, eggs, corn tortillas and salsa. My suite was private and spacious. It included a king-sized bed, set of drawers, armoire, television and fan in the bedroom. A second room included a couple of armchairs, table and mini-fridge. The suite has its own three-piece bathroom, and a lovely terrace with patio table, chairs and sun umbrella. The unit was spotless, and Alo provided housekeeping six days a week while I was there. You would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable place to stay in Oaxaca at the rate I was charged.

I thoroughly enjoyed the company of Pochon staff who took an active interest in my daily comings and goings, and patiently helped me in my attempts to learn Spanish. During my stay, the average age of sojourners was late 20s/ early 30s. Everyone was respectful, and I appreciated getting to know folks from places far and near, including Mexico, USA, New Zealand, Spain, Argentina, Israel, UK, France, and even Kenya. The open-air common area provided a relaxing place to connect with others when I was wasn’t squirreled away in my comfy digs working and studying.

One of the best features of Hostal Pochon is its location in El Centro Historico de Oaxaca. Steps away from Santo Domingo Church and plaza, an easy 15-minute stroll down the pedestrian corridor of Calle Macedonio Alcala to the Zocalo, and a stone’s throw from a delightful fresh food market, Pochon is perfectly situated to access the city’s tourism hotspots yet located on a short, quiet “callejon” (small street or alley). Most mornings and late afternoons, I started and ended my day with an energetic walk up the stairs and road to Cerro del Fortin (the bottom of the stairs is only a block away). With its trees and lack of motorized traffic, this is probably the most healthy and peaceful place to exercise in a city that is congested with air and noise pollution.

I highly recommend taking a cooking class with Alo. This event was a tasty highlight of my stay at Pochon. (You can search my name on YouTube for a short video of this experience.) I look forward to returning to Hostal Pochon. When you go, please pass along my greetings to Erika, Alo and Miriam.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Quakeup
Reviewed 23 November 2015

The staff are volunteers, so tend to hang out with the guests and show them around. It was very easy to meet people here as a solo traveller, but not a loud party style hostel. And oh my god the breakfast is good, usually omelettes :) spacious rooms and well priced.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo