Hostel Casa Taxco(Taxco)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Montetaxco(Taxco)(Great Value!)
US$57
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have stayed at many places in Mexico and have never come across a place like this. It isn't just that the views are beautiful and Oscar and Silvia are so warm and helpful. This place has a soul. A very warm and welcoming soul. Any little problems this property has, are easily overcome by its spirit. The beds are wonderful and the furnishings are charming. The shower and tub were both a wonderful pleasure. I felt immediately at home. I am a tv news junkie and they had a wonderful tv, but the sounds of Taxco were more alluring.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha B
AllenGilmer, Owner at Casa de las Palmas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thanks, Samantha! As the new owners of this fabulous place, we are excited about the possibilities.

We are lucky to have Oscar and Silvia staying on. We have been fixing a lot of the little issues and taking care of the small amount of deferred maintenance that Sherry and Stan, the fantastic folks we bought Casa de las Palmas from.

We are keeping the fresh flower tradition, addressed the soap and shampoo issue that we saw in some earlier Trip Advisor reviews, modernized the TV's, and we are also making sure there are waters and beer in the frig, ice in the freezer, and a complimentary little bottle of tequila and salt awaiting! Come back soon...

Reviewed 22 April 2012

It was a disappointment, not bad, but still a disappointment. The place is definitely nice and charming, has a good location and boasts a nice garden. But the room lacks the personal touches you would expect from a Bed & Breakfast; like a fresh flower, a fruit, a special soap (instad of some random Head & Shoulders product), something that makes you feel welcome.

The studio feels stuffy and tired. One couldn't open the windows to the garden, only to the noisy street. The bathroom is a bit run down.

It was a shame that there was absolutely no information about Taxco in the room. For us one of the reasons to stay in a B & B are the insight on recommended restaurants and shops you get from the owner. Nothing like that at Casa de las Palmas. It’s actually more a vacation rental than a B & B.

What ruined the stay for us was that when we arrived at 5pm no one was there and the door was locked. We tried to phone the owner but without avail. Luckily after 20 minutes of shock and desperate waiting the guests of the main house showed up and were so kind to let us in. Still no staff to be seen. We looked around and found a place that we assumed would be the studio we had booked and moved in.

We cannot comment on the staff as apart from the breakfast we never met anyone. According to the website there are options for dinner and an extended breakfast but how would you know when there is neither staff nor any written info?

No, we didn't feel welcome and agree with the reviewer who said "The sign over the door says that it is For Sale which I believe explains the situation".

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
SherryFauscett, Owner at Casa de las Palmas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

I sincerely regret that this client had this experience. These clients arrived Sat. evening at the height of Semana Santa (Holy Week) and left Monday. The reason they did not see Oscar and Silvia is because Sunday is the staff''s only day off. They normally work 6 days a week from about 8:30 to 4. Even so they often stay late or come in one Sunday waiting for clients to arrive. We are located very close to the main square and all the roads were blocked off for the massive Easter crowds and Silvia and Oscar was trapped in a traffic jam and arrived late and missed the guests. They apologized profusely to me. This is still our fault but I assure you this never happens. Had I known about this at the time I would have compensated them lavishly. Concerning never seeing staff except for breakfast. Silvia even comes in on her day off (Sunday) and makes the breakfast and then leaves. It is posted on our website that Sunday is a day of rest for our staff. This clients stay was just times the exact hours that the staff was off. Flowers are normally in the rooms, I don't know why they weren't in their case. Perhaps it had something to do with the holiday and they were out. We are very limited in Taxco as to accessibility concerning things. I have discussed this review with our staff and we will endeavor to insure that this not happen again. The hospitality of Oscar and Silvia is normally one of the highlights of my guests trip.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

First the good- great location, lovely garden (though with no chairs) and Oscar and Silvia were extremely helpful. They were, in fact, the best part of staying here. The place is tired, could use some fresh paint and attention to things like the shower head being half blocked. The sign over the door says that it is For Sale which I believe explains the situation. And please be aware that breakfast is only coffee,oj and bread. Two bowls of cut up fruit added $10. USD (not pasos) to the bill.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank webaccount
SherryFauscett, Owner at Casa de las Palmas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

I regret that this client's experience was not as positive as our usual guests. I immediately talked to Oscar, our property manager, and he was as puzzled as I was by some of the comments in this review. We have out-door patio furniture on all our patios and balconies. As far as breakfast is concerned I clearly state on our website that a continental breakfast of coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice and Mexican sweet bread is included with your reservation. If a client wants a full breakfast there is a menu available with very reasonable priced breakfasts. We have never had anyone complain about the prices. We do have a historic building. What some call tired others may call charming. But as with all old estates repairs are a constant. When you live on a mountain made of limestone the shower heads have to be cleared continually. Oscar said the shower was fixed immediately. I appreciate any client feed-back and will use t to try to improve our service.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We rented to main house for a one night stay. We were a family of four (Wife & I and 2 small children) and a friend of ours who was traveling with us. I'm not sure I can add more to the previous positive reviews, except to say that this place is special and we all really enjoyed ourselves. The open space was great for the kids and the adults enjoyed sitting on the terrace of the main house looking over the city. The location was quiet, safe, and clean. I highly recommend this location for your stay in Taxco.

Room Tip: We were in the main house and we heard no noise. You can order an excellent and huge breakfast, which Oscar & Silvia prepare (eggs, fruit, tortillas, juice, coffee).
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We decided to rent a house rather than stay in a hotel and I'm so glad we did. Oscar and Silvia are very kind and hospitable. The house was immaculate and very comfortable (we had a hard time leaving). If you visit Taxco (which I highly recommend), stay here! We have 2 children, ages 9 and 17, and they both were very appreciative and excited to stay in such a nice home. Thanks for the great experience!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Veracruz4
SherryFauscett, Owner at Casa de las Palmas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

We are so happy you r enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your time in posting a review. We hope to serve you again in the future.