3 people have started booking this hotel
PricelineUS$224
travelup.comUS$182
Trip.comUS$219
7,823 results
All reviews la veranda hacienda sisal char hut captains cove phase ii all inclusive package thomas moore time share pool bar personal concierge room key full kitchen beautiful beach welcome home change rooms all inclusive plan free shuttle
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 June 2015

We reserved a 2BR unit through a timeshare owner and had a fantastic view of the phase 2 pool and ocean. We did not do the all-inclusive and probably saved a good bit of money even with the alcoholic drinks flowing! The unit was very spacious as was balcony. The grounds were immaculate and there were lots of activities throughout the day. We barely scratched the surface of what they had to offer in terms of activities and restaurants because we went off-site several evenings for dinner.

We really enjoyed our time at the Royal Sands, but it was not without a couple minor issues (not necessarily the resort's fault). When we were dropped off at the hotel by the transportation service, my medical device (CPAP machines) was left in the van and I didn't discover this until the bellman delivered our luggage to the room. When I told him it was missing, he immediately called the transportation company, who had the driver turn around and bring it back to the hotel. It was delivered to me within 15 minutes. Crisis averted and very on-the-ball reaction from the bellman.

We did one tour (Tulum and Xel-ha) that was purchased through the resort's tour company, Thomas Moore travel. I would not use them to purchase a tour again. Their prices were slightly higher than many of the well-rated companies here on TripAdvisor. I was pretty unhappy with the transportation for the tour. There were so many stops before we reached Tulum. We were in the bus from 7:20am until 11:15am. On the way back, we had to wait over an hour for replacement transportation because the bus broke down. These things happen, but it did make for a long day where much of it was spent in the bus or waiting for the bus instead of at the park.

I wish the use of the gym was included in the price. It costs $12 a day PER PERSON.

All that said, If/when we return to Cancun with my family of five, I will definitely return to Royal Sands for the good size suites, the pools, and the onsite activities.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2015

Stayed at The Sands May 23-30 with a large group of family. I personally have stayed at The Sands on several occasions in the past but not since they started the AI program (I am not an owner) and have not been to Cancun since 2010 so I was very scared as to what we were walking into after reading so many negative reviews about the AI program. All fears were squashed upon arrival and check-in! Check-in was a breeze on the resort end, it was my large group that I couldn't get together that slowed us down but the receptionist was very patient and kind. And they already had all our suites as close together as possible in Phase1 just like I had prayed for!

The suites are just as I remembered them...spacious, homey and CLEAN! Our luggage was directly behind us entering the room and fridge was already stocked! Throughout the week housekeeping was amazing and one night when we went out for dinner, I forgot to lock the safe with my $1000, credit cards and cell phones and nothing was touched when they came in to turn down our beds and I think this says a TON about the honesty and integrity of the employees at this resort! I would be willing to put all that money on a bet that wouldn't happen here at home.

Another concern I had after reading reviews was if we could find chairs at the pool/beach and this was never an issue. Now we may not have found one in the shade at the POOL immediately but eventually something would open up and we would move. And I also wonder if maybe it could be the time of year we were there but not sure. And what ties into this is pool and beach waiter service. AMAZING! We were never ignored/kept waiting as I have read in several reviews. There was like ONE HOUR in the entire week that it took us almost an hour to get service and it was the day a LARGE group arrived for a wedding the next day and the servers were literally swamped...no big deal for us but we are not a hard to please group.

We were never bothered by any timeshare sales people EVER. The only calls coming into our room was from other family members. And there was also never an issue getting beers delivered after hours. Room service at ANY time of the night/morning!

The only downside for ME (not complaints, just let-downs) is I am a can/bottle beer drinker and to have to drink draft beer all week was not fun. I can be ok with a little draft but I just don't care for it and I believe it was only Corona draft that was available (I also hate Corona in bottles period lol) so I did spend some money in the store for cans of beer. I just think if cans of yummy Tecate is the option after hours then it should also be an option all day. I also did not like the TV playing videos at the one swim-up bar. This was not there the last time I stayed and I'm sorry, I'm on vacation in Mexico and all of Cancun is already SO Americanized and I just don't want to see videos of Taylor Swift. I would prefer some Latin music...let us get some Mexican feel. There is an artist named Duran that I purchased a CD from at The Royal Islander back in 2003 and his music is amazing and would have been great sounds to listen to while drinking in the pool looking at the ocean. All in all I am still in love with The Royal Sands! I am not high maintenance or a hard to please person so I have no complaints about this place.I have stayed in several places in Cancun and nothing compares to the feel of The Sands. It is a GREAT FAMILY RESORT and we are already planning our stay next year!

Room tip: Doesn't matter what your room is because ALL rooms are ocean view!
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank ILQueenb
Reviewed 15 June 2015 via mobile

My husband and I along with 2 other couples were here for almost a full week. I was extremely nervous because someone else had chosen this particular hotel and I was reading mixed reviews. Let me start out by saying I think people complain just to complain! This place was amazing! I can't believe we stayed here for only $130 a night! This was one of the cheapest and best vacations I have been on! And we travel a lot! The smell when you first walk in was AMAZING! The staff is extremely helpful and nothing but smiles and sweetness all around! The whole resort is extremely clean. We felt there was a good selections of different restaurant and food options to choose from. I loved the ceramic painting by the pool! The gym is is clean and a good selection of equipment options. One of the biggest complaints people had was having to have your room key with you at all time's. Yes there was a few time's I was asked to present my key but nothing over the top or annoying. I mean seriously I would have to have it with me anyway to get back in my room right?! Some of the staff learned our first names and would go out of their way remembering what we liked to drink! It was great. We spent every evening in the sports bar because of the NBA Finals along with some other major sporting events going on. They have great pizza and sushi in the bar! We all agreed we would 100% stay here again! The only negative thing's I could say is the oj isn't good! So please don't be expecting to have a mamomos! Also the standard rooms have 2 full beds. The room size is great but don't be planning on sharing a bed! The beach for this resort is gorgeous!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank nicolebagley29
Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

We come here every year since we have a two week time share. This year the service by the pool at the second stage was extremely poor. Also, we transfer from one villa to another between weeks and it was a fiasco! The villa we were moving to, and had keys for, was still occupied. The bellboy opened the door with all our luggage and there were people sleeping inside. We had to go back to the previous villa to sit and wait until they left and the villa was cleaned.
Once we settled in we saw that the sliding door on one of the bedrooms had a leak so water was coming in. The two night lights in the other room were out! Basically poor maintenance of the villa.
The villa next to my son's is under maintenance and there is hammering all the time.
We are thinking of not coming to Cancún next year.

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank 924gisellec
Reviewed 12 June 2015 via mobile

Everyday was something exciting with activities down at the pool, or down at the lobby at night time. The crew always had energy and was able to show us a good time. Enzo was an awesome performer, Ednr was very entertaining he showed us how to play water ball, Regina loved dancing and showed us how to salsa.

Trip type: Travelled with family