71 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUS$398
Hotels.comUS$398
Destinia.comUS$616
35,886 results
All reviews sunrise section nizuc section los caporales sunrise pool la gondola flow rider resort credit la trattoria golf cart swing bar los tacos vacation planners public relations brazilian restaurant awe spa dolphin swim mayan coffee
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was unaware that this resort did not have an included shuttle from the airport. It was something we were supposed to call ahead and book. So, our trip started rough while trying to find transportation to the hotel. We ended up getting conned! So please arrange your transportation to and from airport prior to arrival.

Checking in was a long process as we had to sit through them trying to convince us to change rooms from the villas to the main hotel or the Grand, THEN sitting through “qualification” which was trying to see how much we earn a year and pushing us to hear the timeshare pitch for 500 resort credits.

We stayed at Moon Palace Sunrise in the golf villas. The golf villas were nice and quiet. It was a distance from the main resort. Fortunately, we were given a golf cart to ride around the premises. This was actually fun as we got to drive around and sightsee on the vast property.

Unfortunately, the room was not clean to my standards. The sheets and pillows were stained. The light switches and table surfaces were filthy. The jacuzzi even had stains. Thankfully, I travel with Lysol wipes and my own sheets. The housekeeping staff didn’t speak English so it was hard to communicate. She folded our clothes and organized belongings that were left out. I had to put away all my things in my suitcase when leaving my room. I felt uncomfortable with having a stranger touch my personal belongings, but I understand she was trying to be helpful.

The food was great at this resort. There were plenty of options to choose from at meal times. I enjoyed Smoked, Pier 8, Arrecifas, and Agra. The drinks were quite weak. I didn’t mind, but my husband was disappointed. I ordered room service a few times. I found most of the entrees to have a sour taste. I did like the fajitas, chips and guacamole, and the burger. The desserts were tiny. On my birthday, I returned to my room to find champagne and chocolates. That was a nice surprise!

The pool was clean and the water was a good temperature. I even enjoyed sitting out on the beach. It was so breezy that I couldn’t really smell the seaweed anyways. As far as entertainment, I didn’t find the options interesting besides the circus show and MJ tribute.

I found that there really wasn’t any social distancing at this resort. Particularly at the pool and indoor facilities. The seats are quite close together. Though the staff always wore masks, guests weren’t enforced to wear masks indoors except in restaurants. I wore my mask so I didn’t really care what others were doing. But beware if you’re picky about those things.

Date of stay: June 2021
Palace Resorts, Propietario at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear LiejC,

Thank you for your loyalty and for choosing Palace Resorts as the host of your stay here in Cancun. We are delighted to know your overall experience was truly pleasant and we owe it all to the terrific service provided by our staff.

Rest assured that the feedback has been shared with our team for the continuous improvement of our services.

We hope it will give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future and allow us to live again the Palace Resorts experience that has characterized us so much.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My entire family (21 people in total) booked this resort early January 2020 for a trip in October 2020. Due to the pandemic, we were unable to go and were told the resort would honour a credit to be used until October 2021. Since vaccinations began in our home country of Canada, we have been trying to contact Moon Palace to book our trip and have not heard a SINGLE WORD BACK via email or calls. We are constantly transferred from person to person on the phone (starts with the reservation number > resort number > marketing and then someone either drops the call or the transfer contact person is not in office). VERY discouraging since we spent thousands of dollars on this trip. I get it, everyone has been affected by the pandemic but we aren't expecting our money back - we want to still go on this trip!!!! We have heard nothing but great things about Moon Palace but sadly, we won't be able to experience that at this rate.

I don't know whether they are waiting for October 2021 to pass to just say that our credit has expired or what? We booked through Expedia and have our flight credits, but our resort credits are a lot more money and that's 21 family members out thousands of dollars each. Not to mention, Expedia contacted Moon Palace and they told us we had no credit to begin with.

At this point, I would recommend people avoid Moon Palace unless you have something in writing re: cancellation, covid19, etc.

Date of stay: October 2020
2  Thank T6308BOsharons
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have been to the Moon Palace Sunrise many times over the years being members and have had no issues. This trip, there were several issues from the get go. Check in was an absolute nightmare. We were herded upstairs from the main lobby to a large room and were stuck there for almost 2 hours trying to check in. It was ridiculous. Told rooms were not ready and check back in 20 minutes. An hour and 20 minutes later, still no rooms. We asked for somebody in charge and like magic, the rooms became available. Fridge only stocked after calling front desk EACH NIGHT. Room service just didnt show up 2 different times. Waited over an hour and 15 minutes for our dinner to be served at a restaurant after arriving right when they opened. Three flat floats bobbing in the swim up suite room pool until we picked them up and threw them away. We usually dont complain and kind of go with the flow of things. We did try to make the best of the negative situations but there were far too many which truly is out of the norm for us when traveling to the Moon Palace. Very disappointed with the overall service and cleanliness of several aspects of the facility. Were told that they "got too bust too fast" and had severe staffing issues. Hopefully they will get it together as travel returns to normal in Mexico. They usually dont respond or comment to any even slightly negative reviews and we dont expect them to but I would definitely be careful booking here until they figure some stuff out.

Management response:Responded 6 days ago

Dear Cpriceatcun,

First and foremost thnk you for giving us the opportunity to host you and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

At Moon Palace we strive to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; your feedback definitely allows us to improve the aras that need our attention. We deeply regret that this time your stay did not go as expected, as this is not the service we aim to provide.
Please rest assured that we have shared your comments with the areas involved and provided a careful follow-up to each of the observations you have shared.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to improve your perception of us, and regain your trust.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It’s been 2 weeks since our first time at the Moon Palace Sunrise. We were there for 5 nights with a party of 17, 9 adults and 8 teens ranging in age from 13-18. We had what I would say was a mixed experience, some very frustrating moments, others good and others where we just made the best of it. Unfortunately our issues started before we even checked in. When we arrived at CUN and met up with our transfer driver, he mentioned that 2 families in our group were showing up at Nizuc and not Sunrise, we explained that couldn’t be because we booked all 5 rooms together under the same name so it didn’t make sense, he was hesitant but dropped us all off at the sunrise entrance regardless.

Upon arrival there was no welcome drinks and no welcome towels, which we have come to look foward to from our stays at other resorts in the area but no biggie, so we just made our way inside to the front desk. However, check in turned out to be a 3 hour long ordeal. Not only did they have half our party at the Nizuc, they didn’t even have the payment info up to date in the system. We all paid before arrival and they kept saying one of the rooms showed an outstanding balance. We had to speak to several people before they were able to get us all on the same side (sunrise) but then this meant half of our party had to now downgrade the room category and they did even want to refund the difference. So after what felt like forever they finally agreed to provide a 1-day pass to the grand as a comp for the downgraded rooms and eventually to the whole group for the inconvenience. unfortunately there continued to be issues with the rooms; with 1 room having a flooded shower, and 2 with broken A/C units, where they needed to be moved in the middle of the night.

The rooms at sunrise themself are nice and clean upon first impression although the room is a bit on the small side as are the beds (they are full size, not queen). They are also a little dated as far as outlets/plug alarm clock ect.. in which when traveling with teens and their devices can be important. There is a flat screen tv but we never turned it on. The mini fridge is nicely stocked with beer, soda and juice and there in a slide out mini bar. The balcony has a hammock which was nice and two chairs. There was/is a seaweed issue at the moment and it does smell, but you don’t notice it after a day or a few drinks. The bathroom is well appointed, with a large shower and a vanity area (only 1 sink), but there is a door which is great for families that need the privacy. They provide Chi products and dryer/flat iron . We never used the tub in the center of the room but it looked big and appeared clean. The main issue is every day they only leave 2 towels in the room even though they know there was 4 of us, so it was a bit frustrating to call every day for the towels or chase down one of the staff members.

The Food was the highlight of the trip for us. it was consistently good. From the breakfast buffets to the a la carte dinners, everything was very tasty. We didn’t get to try all the restaurants but we did try Asadero ( Steak), Momo (asian) and la Gondola (Italian) at sunrise for dinner and they were very good. Asadero also had a good lunch buffet as did Smoked. The pizza bar and Taco carts by the pool at sunrise were closed the whole week we were there due to rain, so we did not get to try those. However the ice cream cart with the dancing chef was amazing. Really yummy ice cream. We did try to Brazilian steak house over at Nizuc one day which had an hour long way, and it was just ok, not sure if it was just too late already or what but it was our least favorite. On another note, the Room service menu had some very good selections. We had several of the kids in our party with allergies including my daughter who has a severe egg and nut allergy and they were very good at all the restaurants about making her dishes separate or getting items from the back to avoid cross contamination. Not all restaurants require reservations but the more popular ones do (i.e. Momo), however they cannot be made before arriving, and they are normally booked 2 days out at a time, so it’s hard to get in the first day or two. To book you have to download the app or call 0 from your room or any phone around the property.

The pool at Sunrise was our favorite as it was the largest and we felt also the funnest although it wasn’t all that fun when we were there since like i mentioned it rained all week. So not sure if it was due to that or not but I didn’t see many activities or games with the entertainment team as we have at other resorts. There were no pool parties, games or activities other than maybe 1 water exercise class and a few water polo games. They do have a volleyball net and cornhole so we gathered our own group and made the best of it. The swim up bar was great and we had some great service by the pool (even in the rain) from Flor Tun, Guillermo Riko and Luz Elena. They really went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time despite the rain. For teens I feel like sunrise is kind of a weird mix as they do have the flow rider, but the waterslide area is mostly for toddlers/smaller kids. We heard Nizuc pool has a bigger slide more suitable for bigger kids but we never made it there. We did have 1 day of great weather and that day they had live music at the pool which was really nice and fun (a great cuban band), but we missed half the day at sunrise because we had the day pass for grand (more on that below)

The sunrise arcade seemed to have quite a few games and a small snack bar the kids enjoyed. They were open until about 10pm, so after that there is nothing else for the teens to do which they were pretty bummed about. We tried hanging by the swing bar a few nights where they played music until a little later but that was over taken by recent high school grads almost every night (think about 100 - 18 year olds drinking) I say almost every night because they do have a night club that opens every other night or so, so on the nights it’s closed they would be at the bar. I feel like Moon Palace is lacking a teen club that could possibly be open a little later than 10pm. other resorts have kids club and teen clubs, here they do have a kids club for kids under 12 but then the arcade room is open to all ages so no space just for teens. Which also hinders the adults from exploring and enjoying other sections of the resort like the sky bar where no kids are allowed.

We did use the day pass to explore the grand on our last day and we quickly regretted it, as it was the only nice day of sun we had. We decided to try the breakfast buffet at the grand to see if it was any grander (it wasn’t) only thing was they did have 1 lady making tacos on an old fashion stove but she was so oddly placed i missed it. I feel like the bugamilias buffet at sunrise was better. We took the kids to the water park which for a resort was nice and impressive, and then the adults made there way to explore the rest of the pools. We stopped at a few pools along the way to the adults day club pool but they all seemed so small and dull compared to sunrise. When we finally made it to the day club pool where we were told a DJ would be playing music by noon, we found it to be less day club more calm relaxing, and also not a large pool but the layout was better. We spent a few hours there where we quickly realized that the service was not the same (you would think better it being the grand, but it wasn’t) also the dj never showed. when we asked about this they said he dosen’t play that day. it was Friday… what day would he come then? on a monday?? we did try the coco bar which was very good, fresh coconuts and they can add alcohol if you’d like. Once the kids were done with the water park we decided to give lunch a try, we had made reservations at JC Steak house, but then were told we couldn’t go in casual/ beach attire (for lunch) so we had to cancel and ended up at a lunch buffet/snack bar that only had hamburger and hot dogs. So needless to say after that we made our way right back to sunrise where we made it just in time to catch the live band at the pool. The Grand lobby did seem nice and their coffee shop was a lot bigger and nicer than at the sunrise, but the Grand seems to be missing a Grand Pool in our opinion.

The majority of our party said they would not return to Moon Palace due to all the inconveniences at check in and lack of activities around the pool.

Check out was just as frustrating for us as they again had half of our group still listed at Nizuc so they were not on the transfer tickets for pick up at sunrise. It took about 1/2 to get that square away and make sure we could all make it on the same bus at the same time in order to catch our flights.

Room tip: Print out payment confirmation and booking confirmation download App for Dinning Reservation or Call “0”
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MiamiMama_10
Management response:Responded 6 days ago

Dear MiamiMama_10,

First and foremost, thank you for your preference in Moon Palace Cancun and for taking the time to share your feedback in this important platform. We strive to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; and your feedback is essential to our continuous improvement.

We regret to learn that some of our facilities and services were not up to expetations as this is definetly not the service we aim to provide. Please accept our apologies for the issues you have encountered due to the check-in process, the grand facilities, and entertainment activities, we have deeply revised your observations and shared them with the corrresponding areas in order to provide you with enhanced experiences in the future.

Furthermore, we appreciate your kind mentions to our amazing staff who are comitted to providing you with the warmest service, they will be recognized for their excellent execution.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future and improv your perception of our Resort.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We pod $3600 for a 1 bedroom ocean view room for 3 adults and a child. All the food was B level quality or lower. The videos shows smiling people with golf cart everywhere, the truth is you get so tired walking in the scorching sun, melting all the time. Rooms are away and you end up waiting 20-30 minutes for carts. Let’s start with coffee - u order room service they will get u decaf or won’t get creamer and sugar. It’s a pain. So you think okay let me get a cappuccino at lobby and walk 10-15 minutes in sun (by 6.30-7 it’s super hot), they give u creamy froth with light coffee). No espresso. Buffet Food is okay - a middle grade buffet in USA. You will spend an hour going to each resort each way, waiting for carts or buses. Beach is the ugliest beach I have been to. Drinks are watered down or not of quality. I would rather spend that money in US destinations

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank chimtu
Management response:Responded 1 week ago

Dear chimtu,

Firstly, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you and for sharing your feedback with us.

At Moon Palace we strive to provide an incredible experience that goes beyond the expected, therefre we regrret to learn that you have encountered issues due to the room service, internal transportation and that our all inclusive offerings did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we already provide a proper following up in order to take immediately corrective actions.

We hope to be selected in the future to receive you and show our greatest efforts to regain your trust.

Respectfully,