“Riu Cancun - A lively Paradise!”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My new husband and I went to the Riu Cancun for our Honeymoon. We flew with Thomson/First Choice and went for the All Inclusive package deal. It was WELL worth it!

The only sour point (which I will get out of the way right at the start) is that they only serve cheap local drinks (unless you specifically ask for Smirnoff Vodka etc) and despite the photo on the Thomson website, they don't serve Corona at all - it's all "Dos XX" beer by the bottle/on tap.

Ok so firstly: the rooms. We just opted for a standard double room and to be honest it's all you would need! there is air conditioning AND a fan that you can switch on and off. There is a "mini-bar" which is basically just a decent sized fridge which gets re-filled every 2 days with large and small bottles of water, pepsi, dient pepsi, 7-up, ginger beer and bottles of beer. there are 4 optic bottles of local spirits (vodka, tequila, Rum and we think gin). These are all included in the package. The bathroom is a decent size with a bath and shower attachment, double hand basin and marble top. Always clean and fully stocked. A great balcony with every room with 2 chairs and a table and a small wall attached airer.

Next: the restaurants. The Don Juan restaurant is the standard buffet style which is open every day or breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have theme nights (like Oriental, Italiano, Mexican and International). There is good selection of food each day and it literally is "all you can eat". The "La Mision" restaurant is the Argentinian steak restaurant - be aware that the "8oz sirloin" is more like double the size - the portion sizes are very generous! The Japanese restaurant we unfortunately didn't try "Kawachi" but the reviews from other guests we met said it was spectacular. The final "Corazone" Brazilian restaurant is worth it just for the experience. It is a serve yourself starter from a salds and soups selection. The main is served at the tabel with a selection of vegetables/sides and each meat is then brought out on the rotisserie spit and carved directly onto your plate (we had braziliansausage, turkey, chicken, sirloin of beef, rump of beef and pork) and the deserts are buffet style again.

Next: the bars. The main bar near the reception is huge! and once every 2 weeks they have a "casino hour" where you can win a certificate in Roulette and Blackjack. The selection of cocktails is great - Strawberry Daquiri and Amaretto Sours are amazing! The pool bar is always rammed and very lively.

Next: Facilities. There are 4 pools, although the quiet pool is covered with shade for the most of the day due to the overshadow from the hotel building. The Pool bar pool is always rammed and incredibly lively - if you want a quiet holiday, this hotel isn't for you as it is a young client base (especially in spring break). There is a spa and gym, beach, sunbeds and much more.

Finally: everything else! as for the hotel, we reaslly enjoyed our stay although 2 weeks was almost too much, 10 days would have been perfect. You can get a bus to anywhere for 8.5pesos wich is approx 40p - any distance. There is a Walmart where cigarrettes are 380pesos for 200 (less that £20). There are malls, bars etc all within walking/bus distance and if you get the chance to do any excursions, Xel Ha and the jet ski's are well worth is as well as the "jungle tour2 with Thomsons which is speedboats and snorkelling.

Hope this review helps!

Thanks

Room Tip: Try to choose a room which is more between floors 8 and 11 as you get the best view of the sea!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Lara S

Reviewed 21 September 2011

I was really disappointed in my 2 night stay at the Riu Cancun this week. This was my first time at this hotel and I chose it because I was fairly familiar with the brand and I knew it was a newer building. First, let me say I was taken aback by how dated the rooms are. This resort was built in 2004 but they obviously haven't done a single upgrade since then. The beds are hard and come with awful linens and sparse pillows. The room had a smaller tube TV (even for 2004 this is bad). The decor in the room reminded me of being in my grandmothers house (blue and yellow floral patterns). Dated is the best way to describe the room. On the upside, it was a nice large size and fairly clean, although the uncovered box spring on the bed had noticeable stains. The hallways and elevators were not ventilated, it felt like a sauna and everytime I got into an overcrowded elevator I wanted to hyper ventilate (they were also very slow, which made them overcrowded).

Check-in was a mess. I felt like I was in a zoo. There were tons of other people checking in all at once and the staff seemed overwhelmed. But they did get us up to our room pretty quickly despite this.

Dinner at the buffet was awful, breakfast and lunch were OK. Most of it was obviously quantity over quality, just trying to feed as many people as possible. We ate at the Japanese restaurant one night and it was OK. Much better then the buffet. On the print out they gave us it said that one restaurant served breakfast until 10:30AM and then after that a different restaurant served and "American breakfast" buffet until 12PM. When we arrive at that restaurant around 11, there was no "American breakfast" to be seen. Just a small selection of croissants, fruit and cereals. I was at least expecting some eggs. We took this up with the front desk and pointed out that they labeled the breakfast buffet all wrong and if I would of known, I would of gotten myself to the real breakfast buffet earlier. FYI: you have to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants for dinner, usually a day in advance.

The resort seems geared towards the lower end, lots of college students to be seen. The beach and pool was overcrowded, except for one pool all the way on one end of the resort which seemed to be the most quite. Overall, it wasn't too hard to find an open chair but most of the ideal locations were taken early. In addition, there were some topless sun bathers, I dont know if this is legal in cancun or at this resort but I wouldn't take my kids here knowing that.

Lastly, the positive things I can rave about is the staff was very nice, as are most of the employees in cancun resorts. And the beach was great! White sand, crystal clear water not very much seaweed. The hotel also seemed to be in a good location for going out, shopping, etc.

In conclusion, I think this resort is for people who are budget conscious, single and/or young students. I wouldn't come here on a relaxing couples getaway and probably not a family vacation either.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sleigh87
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Just arrived back from a great 2 week holiday with my wife and 9 month old daughter. we went with thomsons and upgraded to the premium seats, which were well worth the extra money, being used to my knees crushed up to the seat in front on other flights, i couldnt beleive the space i had and i am 6ft tall. unlimited alchohol and drinks, great meals and your own neck pillow plus the check in was swift on the way home with the huge lines of people trying to check in, you have your own check in desk. The only thing i was'nt happy with is the full row of our seats on the way over, the tvs were broke! which was a huge disapointment on a 10 hour flight, dont know if its worth writing to thomsons to complain considering i paid a extra £225 each for me and my wife. The riu cancun is a great hotel, i would return again. The staff are amazing and work all the hours thrown at them, herandez who works in the buffet for breakfast and outdoor the la maison for lunch deserves a mention, he was great with us and always smiling and bringing us drinks without asking, my daughters high chair would be brought over as soon as he saw us coming in. the staff deserve tips which i left every day, just a few dollars. my wife really enjoyed the brazilian restaurant which you need to book. the only few things that i could complain about is the rooms, which are a bit dated, the dark showers with no lights and the ELEVATORS which drove me round the bend! we waited 15 mins one day. you are better to use the stairs if on the the first few floors, but we were on the 12th. all the pools are great but we used the infinity pool the most with the baby, she loved the baby bit were she could stand and run around in her float. was a great hotel, nice people, and we will be back again at some point. some of the complaints on here are exaggerated.

Room Tip: we had a room on the 12th floor and the view was amazing! the higher you go the better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank closey03
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed here with 3 girlfriends and really the stay. The buffet was usually very varied and on some occasions there were theme nights, we also tried the main restaurant which we did not enjoy as we weren't too impressed with the meat on offer.
The hotel is placed directly on the beach, and we were often served by waiters without even asking! All work staff were very pleasant.
We stayed in the hotel to watch some of the entertainment which i thought was rather poor. We generally went into town to the clubs with the 'youunger' reps who were always up for a party.
The rooms were lovely and always kept clean, although we could have had a better view!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank kirsty c
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have always wanted to stay in a RIU. And found a great deal with RIU Cancun.

I stayed with my boyfriend and two friends. I found the staff to be a good mix, but in general, they were great!

Upon check-in we asked for adjoining rooms and we got it PLUS an upgrade to a suite. It was in a very quite spot in the resort - not much of a view since it was on the second floor. But we didn't complain since we won't be in the rooms anyway.

Our rooms were great for the price that we paid. But the rooms have a really bad musky smell. It was very damp in comparison other Caribbean resorts I've been to. It left a bad smell to clothes (don't forget to bring a febreeze!) Beds were firm - but I liked it. Rooms were outdated. And I was not a big fan of keys - as opposed to cards.

Food - It was above average for an all inclusive. The buffets has enough selection for picky and healthy eaters. The Japanese Restaurant - was not that great. The Steakhouse was tasty and The Brazillian was delicious! You have to book two days in advance (but if you are friendly they might be able to squeeze you in the day before or the day of). It was my boyfriend's birthday and the whole crew at the Brazilian restaurant came out to sing with a birthday cake included. It was very nice of them. The sportsbar didn't have good 24hr snacks.

Drinks - This needs it's own paragraph. It was AMAZING! I have never been to an all-inclusive with a variety of drinks and an extensive drink menu. Martinis, mojitos, pina coladas, green monsters, daiquiries (mango, lime and strawberry), blue ocean, shots, shots and more shots and our gang's official vacation drink - MIAMI VICE. Tip 2-4 bucks and you will get great service the rest of the time your there.

Beach - There was a nice spot with a couple of palapas (but you have to go there before 9am to get a shaded spot). Ocean was nice and blue, you can go snorkeling and borrow the catamaran ($65 to learn it first - unfortunately)

Pools - There were a couple of them - 2 infinity pools. One activity pool. Swim up bar with whirlpools and a hot tub. Very nice - very busy during the afternoon but FUN.

Grounds - It was pretty, lots of palm trees, surrounded with pools. Can't complain.

Entertainment - During the day the entertainment team would always ask us to join and we usually did. It was always fun. We played beach horseshoes, volleyball, darts, waterballoon games, learned some dances. It was fun. Didn't go to too much of the evening entertainment - so can't really review on it. The night club was not my style - too dark, too loud and not much people really went.

Location - The location was great! The bus stop was right infront of the hotel and you can go to downtown Cancun where there's a walmart, costco etc... I found it pretty safe (it was a $10 cab ride home). Club zone was a 5 minute walk - safe and very very convenient - no need for a bus =). Coco Bongo's a must =)

Overall a great experience!! Would go again!

Room Tip: Call in advance. Smile and ask nicely.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends