Hotel Riu Cancun
Bookit.com
US$394
US$313
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$446/night.

US$405
US$313
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$428/night.

US$450
US$263
US$246
Priceline
  • Pool
The Royal Islander All Suites Resort(Cancun)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$85
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$102/night.

US$175
Travelocity
10,674 results
All reviewsannex buildingsports barcoco bongoquiet pooljapanese restaurantevery other daybar crawlsteakentertainment staffamazing holidayactivity pooljungle tourcaptain hookmain buffetsenor frogsspecialty restaurantssenior frogs
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I was really disappointed in my 2 night stay at the Riu Cancun this week. This was my first time at this hotel and I chose it because I was fairly familiar with the brand and I knew it was a newer building. First, let me say I was taken aback by how dated the rooms are. This resort was built in 2004 but they obviously haven't done a single upgrade since then. The beds are hard and come with awful linens and sparse pillows. The room had a smaller tube TV (even for 2004 this is bad). The decor in the room reminded me of being in my grandmothers house (blue and yellow floral patterns). Dated is the best way to describe the room. On the upside, it was a nice large size and fairly clean, although the uncovered box spring on the bed had noticeable stains. The hallways and elevators were not ventilated, it felt like a sauna and everytime I got into an overcrowded elevator I wanted to hyper ventilate (they were also very slow, which made them overcrowded).

Check-in was a mess. I felt like I was in a zoo. There were tons of other people checking in all at once and the staff seemed overwhelmed. But they did get us up to our room pretty quickly despite this.

Dinner at the buffet was awful, breakfast and lunch were OK. Most of it was obviously quantity over quality, just trying to feed as many people as possible. We ate at the Japanese restaurant one night and it was OK. Much better then the buffet. On the print out they gave us it said that one restaurant served breakfast until 10:30AM and then after that a different restaurant served and "American breakfast" buffet until 12PM. When we arrive at that restaurant around 11, there was no "American breakfast" to be seen. Just a small selection of croissants, fruit and cereals. I was at least expecting some eggs. We took this up with the front desk and pointed out that they labeled the breakfast buffet all wrong and if I would of known, I would of gotten myself to the real breakfast buffet earlier. FYI: you have to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants for dinner, usually a day in advance.

The resort seems geared towards the lower end, lots of college students to be seen. The beach and pool was overcrowded, except for one pool all the way on one end of the resort which seemed to be the most quite. Overall, it wasn't too hard to find an open chair but most of the ideal locations were taken early. In addition, there were some topless sun bathers, I dont know if this is legal in cancun or at this resort but I wouldn't take my kids here knowing that.

Lastly, the positive things I can rave about is the staff was very nice, as are most of the employees in cancun resorts. And the beach was great! White sand, crystal clear water not very much seaweed. The hotel also seemed to be in a good location for going out, shopping, etc.

In conclusion, I think this resort is for people who are budget conscious, single and/or young students. I wouldn't come here on a relaxing couples getaway and probably not a family vacation either.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sleigh87
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Just arrived back from a great 2 week holiday with my wife and 9 month old daughter. we went with thomsons and upgraded to the premium seats, which were well worth the extra money, being used to my knees crushed up to the seat in front on other flights, i couldnt beleive the space i had and i am 6ft tall. unlimited alchohol and drinks, great meals and your own neck pillow plus the check in was swift on the way home with the huge lines of people trying to check in, you have your own check in desk. The only thing i was'nt happy with is the full row of our seats on the way over, the tvs were broke! which was a huge disapointment on a 10 hour flight, dont know if its worth writing to thomsons to complain considering i paid a extra £225 each for me and my wife. The riu cancun is a great hotel, i would return again. The staff are amazing and work all the hours thrown at them, herandez who works in the buffet for breakfast and outdoor the la maison for lunch deserves a mention, he was great with us and always smiling and bringing us drinks without asking, my daughters high chair would be brought over as soon as he saw us coming in. the staff deserve tips which i left every day, just a few dollars. my wife really enjoyed the brazilian restaurant which you need to book. the only few things that i could complain about is the rooms, which are a bit dated, the dark showers with no lights and the ELEVATORS which drove me round the bend! we waited 15 mins one day. you are better to use the stairs if on the the first few floors, but we were on the 12th. all the pools are great but we used the infinity pool the most with the baby, she loved the baby bit were she could stand and run around in her float. was a great hotel, nice people, and we will be back again at some point. some of the complaints on here are exaggerated.

Room Tip: we had a room on the 12th floor and the view was amazing! the higher you go the better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank closey03
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed here with 3 girlfriends and really the stay. The buffet was usually very varied and on some occasions there were theme nights, we also tried the main restaurant which we did not enjoy as we weren't too impressed with the meat on offer.
The hotel is placed directly on the beach, and we were often served by waiters without even asking! All work staff were very pleasant.
We stayed in the hotel to watch some of the entertainment which i thought was rather poor. We generally went into town to the clubs with the 'youunger' reps who were always up for a party.
The rooms were lovely and always kept clean, although we could have had a better view!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank kirsty c
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have always wanted to stay in a RIU. And found a great deal with RIU Cancun.

I stayed with my boyfriend and two friends. I found the staff to be a good mix, but in general, they were great!

Upon check-in we asked for adjoining rooms and we got it PLUS an upgrade to a suite. It was in a very quite spot in the resort - not much of a view since it was on the second floor. But we didn't complain since we won't be in the rooms anyway.

Our rooms were great for the price that we paid. But the rooms have a really bad musky smell. It was very damp in comparison other Caribbean resorts I've been to. It left a bad smell to clothes (don't forget to bring a febreeze!) Beds were firm - but I liked it. Rooms were outdated. And I was not a big fan of keys - as opposed to cards.

Food - It was above average for an all inclusive. The buffets has enough selection for picky and healthy eaters. The Japanese Restaurant - was not that great. The Steakhouse was tasty and The Brazillian was delicious! You have to book two days in advance (but if you are friendly they might be able to squeeze you in the day before or the day of). It was my boyfriend's birthday and the whole crew at the Brazilian restaurant came out to sing with a birthday cake included. It was very nice of them. The sportsbar didn't have good 24hr snacks.

Drinks - This needs it's own paragraph. It was AMAZING! I have never been to an all-inclusive with a variety of drinks and an extensive drink menu. Martinis, mojitos, pina coladas, green monsters, daiquiries (mango, lime and strawberry), blue ocean, shots, shots and more shots and our gang's official vacation drink - MIAMI VICE. Tip 2-4 bucks and you will get great service the rest of the time your there.

Beach - There was a nice spot with a couple of palapas (but you have to go there before 9am to get a shaded spot). Ocean was nice and blue, you can go snorkeling and borrow the catamaran ($65 to learn it first - unfortunately)

Pools - There were a couple of them - 2 infinity pools. One activity pool. Swim up bar with whirlpools and a hot tub. Very nice - very busy during the afternoon but FUN.

Grounds - It was pretty, lots of palm trees, surrounded with pools. Can't complain.

Entertainment - During the day the entertainment team would always ask us to join and we usually did. It was always fun. We played beach horseshoes, volleyball, darts, waterballoon games, learned some dances. It was fun. Didn't go to too much of the evening entertainment - so can't really review on it. The night club was not my style - too dark, too loud and not much people really went.

Location - The location was great! The bus stop was right infront of the hotel and you can go to downtown Cancun where there's a walmart, costco etc... I found it pretty safe (it was a $10 cab ride home). Club zone was a 5 minute walk - safe and very very convenient - no need for a bus =). Coco Bongo's a must =)

Overall a great experience!! Would go again!

Room Tip: Call in advance. Smile and ask nicely.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank deeyana
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I really dont know how people can complain about this hotel, we had a great time.
We flew with Thomsons and upgraded to their Premium seats - well worth the money. Check in at the hotel was quick and painless. We had requested a quiet room prior to arrival, and were given room 802 which overlooks the quiet pool, so top marks for that. The food in the buffet restuarant was outstanding, you name it and it was there - every night was an Italian station, Mexican, meat, fish, every kind of salad imaginable, soups, an array of vegetables and fruits, deserts, plus the speciality of the night - sushi, paella etc So much choice that I really dont know how people could get bored, unless they were having the same dish every night!
The bars were good, Wilma was the greatest server - she just loved getting the tequila slammers in (whether or not you asked for one!!), the others were very polite but Wilma seemed to have more 'spirit' about her!!
The rooms were fine - nothing to stress about, ok the beds were a little hard, but just ask for a matress topper and all sorted. Yes they were a tad damp, but what do you expect in that humidity - one good thing was that none of your clothes stayed creased for long!! Really though, it wasn't a problem.
From the beach you can see the ferry across to Isla Mujeres, which is well worth a visit - we actually went twice. The ferry is $15 each, then you can rent a golf buggy for the day (works out about £25 for the day). We went to the turtle farm, had a chilled beer at the southern most point of the island - wow what views! The best thing though is to go to Garaffon De Castilla - dont mistake for Garffon Park, which is about $70 for the day - the place we found is just round the corner from the main park but cost $5!! You can snorkle with thousands of fish which swarm round you when you get in the water - amazing experience!
The only trip we did with Thomsons was their pub crawl, which was fantastic and well worth it, Coco Bongos is mind blowing! We went to Chichen Itza but booked with a local agent, found in the shops over from Starbucks, - round the corner from the hotel - his prices were half that of Thomsons.
The Thomsons reps were great - Alan especially. He kindly booked us into a restuarant for our wedding anniversary - La Habichuela Sunset where we had the most wonderful meal, great setting and very romantic, aah!!
Just one thing regarding currency - the airport prices are ALL in dollars, the ferry is in dollars, most of the shops are still dollars. The local shops and markets are pesos. When buying something from a store which prices in dollars and you want to pay in pesos you lose out big time as they convert from dollars into pesos using nothing like the exchange rate - I bought a piece of jewellery which I bartered down to $50 (US) (approx £33) and ended up paying about $700 pesos - approx £40. So you really do need to haggle with them!
Thats about it but if you would like to ask any questions then please PM me.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room then ask for one of the quiet pool side.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple