“Had a fantastic time....”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #34 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 14 January 2007

Hello

I dont normally write reviews but i thought i would pull my finger out for this hotel because it really was fab. I had such a great time - everything was perfect from day one, the room, the view, the service, the food and especially THE BEACH ( absolutely amazing!)! In my estimations it rates far more than a 3 star hotel - i would honestly say it was at least 4 star if not 4 star plus! I would be most surprised if ANYONE came away dissappointed. I spent my 20th birthday out there and am glad i did - it was fantastic.

Hope this helps someone!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank CarlyMac
Write a ReviewReviews (10,329)

Reviewed 12 January 2007

We stayed at the Riu Cancun from the 25th December 2006 - 8th January 2007 for Christmas, New Year and my birthday and I have to say never again.
The hotel appears to be lovely and it is quite impressive from the outside and the grounds are very well kept but thats where it ends.If you dont encounter any problems you would probably say the beds were hard, food a bit repetitive, rooms musty smelling but apart from that had a good time; which is what most people say.
We got stuck in the elevators on 3 separate occassions twice for only a couple of minutes which was frightening but did not cause too much of a problem, the other time however I have real concerns with because we were stuck in the elevator for 45mins with scorching temperatures and very little air as the lifts are quite small ;especially when nobody bothers to get you out or even communicate with you even though we had been ringing the alarm contantly and the lift which was initially stuck between lobby level and the first floor and the staff in reception could see us and we were there for 20mins after that; the elevator started to jerk and shot up to the 7th floor. Aquick thinking man put his shoe in between the inner lift door which we could only open about 2ins stopped the elevator from rising any further as some were hysterical by this point and a young boy was crying.A woman on the 7th floor went to get help after us screaming at her and the maintenance man tried to open the outer doors and couldn't so he walked off.For some unknown reason after 45mins the lift doors opened on the 7th floor and we all ran out; and what I couldn't beleive was that there still wasn't anyone there and I had to stop people getting in it myself . I spoke to the customer services manager and reception staff who were most unhelpful and I didn't get any answers but all I know is that it happens frequently so other guests told me afterwards. The elevator says it takes 8 people but it stuck with 8 , 5 nd 4 people in it so be aware if you do stay there. I have put in an offcial complaint for the way we were treated over the elevators by the reception staff who at one point were laughing at us and obviously did not care that someone could have got seriously injured.
As for the rest of the hotel the other reviews are fairly accurate the rooms smell horrendous and the beds are very hard and can appear damp but i had that in the last Riu in the Dom Rep I stayed in to so it must be the humidity.The restaurant has a different theme every night ie oriental.french ect but the food is very repetitive which is what you get in an AI hotel.
The entertainment isnt up to much especially the show they put on New Years eve which I thought would be partyish but it was dancers doing dancing from around the world which was a bit boring.The animacion team work really hard and are excellent with children so I dont take that away from them considering the hours they work.
The speciality restaurants are not really worth the trouble the Japanese is Ok and so is the Braillian if you like meat but it takes forever as the bring you around a piece of meat bit by bit through the eveing offa skewer. the salmon in the Japanese is quite nice though if not a little over cooked.You need to be in the queue by 7ish though if you want to book them.The best sunbeds also go by 7ish as people reserve them with towels ect even though hotel policy is thta this is not permitted they do nothing about it. If you loose your towel or card you have to pay $20.00 so people are obviouslywilling to risk.Its quite funny actually to watch everyone like penguins in the afternoon clambering onto the last piece of beach with the sun its amazing how they all fit. I didn't notice too many people sitting in the swim up bar the first week so it probably would have been safe but after New Year different people came in and it appeared to be a big attraction and the water definately took a turn for th worse. There is only one pool heated and it is the one nearest to La Mission restaurant the pools over by the quiet side of the hotel were freezing and I heard alot of people complain about the hot tub which looked a bit cold and dirty so I didnt attempt it. I also heard loads of people complaining about upset stomachs and I know a few had been to hospital I still have one myself 3 days after getting home and I didn't drink the pina coladas or infact much alcohol at all.
If you venture out Hooters is a nighmare if you are a fan, but Bubba Gumps was quite good and Lorenzillos is supposed to be very good.There is still alot of building work going on in the resort and there are many buildings/hotels hich have just been left to rot in the resort after hurricane Wilma whcih affected the resort far worse than I was expecting.
We took a trip to chichen itza which the rep told us would take 21/2 hours by coach; be aware it took 4 1/2 hrs on the way up including a 20min break and 3 hrs on the way back non stop.We only actually had 11/2 hrs there. The trip to Isle Mujeres to swim with the dolphins was an excellent day and worth the money as was Chichen Itza if you dont mind the 71/2 hrs on the coach.
You are also able to use the Riu Caribe facilities and as thepublic bus stops outside and only costs 7 pesos it worth it if you are there for a week or 2. You can't use the faciities in the palce though which I was aware of as we stayed at the Palace in the Dom Rep last time.
Although the hotel is rated 5* it isnt really especially compaired with the Shangri la chain in the far east which they dont even compare to. The hotel its self isnt an awful environment and most people are only there for a couple of days so probably wouldnt have need to complain but if you do need to they will give you the answers you want to hear but then do absolutely nothing about it.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank BUSTYBREEZER
Reviewed 12 January 2007

What can i say apart from it was fab, fab, fab everything was just great from the food to the beach we could not fault this hotel or its staff. The hotel is just beautiful and well kept the staff are constantly cleaning it is also well place for all the great shopping and nightlife. We arrived over christmas and have to say it was the best christmas ever. I can't wait to go back and as a result will be booking soon.

If anyone is thinking about going and love good food and hot weather my advice is just book it and enjoy because we did.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank b4ker
Reviewed 11 January 2007

Having previously stayed at the RIU Bachata in the DR, we had some idea what to expect during our stay.

Check in: Very friendly, efficient, and hospitable. Two mugs of Corona appeared while we were filling in the necessary registration form.

Rooms: We were assigned room 113. While it meant we could avoid the “dreaded” elevators, it also meant that we were right above the outdoor bar near the quiet pool. The room itself had excellent AC but other problems were soon evident. The balcony door would not latch without some serious force at the top of the door. The shower head flipped up and soaked the towels whenever we turned it on. The main door wouldn’t lock without a good “slam”. The TV had no remote and the room had no standing lamp. The worst part was that the bar stayed open very late (despite what the hotel brochure stated) and we had to sleep with ear plugs. In the middle of our stay, we asked for another room and were promptly moved to 413 which lacked the powerful AC, but everything else worked great! The musty smell in 113 did not occur in 413. Because it gets the morning sun, we suggest you ask for a room in the East wing. ….And yes, the elevators are quirky to say the least.

Beach: On the west end of the beach, there are rocks in the water; on the east end there is sand. That’s it. Beautiful, extensive beach. Wow! (FWIW, the beach at the RIU Palace next door is small and rocky.) We saw a lot of wrist bands from the Palace next door as they came our way to enjoy a real beach.

Pools: We’re beach folks but the pools looked very clean and well-maintained.

Food: We found lots of variety and reasonably good quality. The Japanese a la carte was worth getting up at seven to reserve. La Mission is very handy for enjoying a flame broiled steak or some chicken and is a nice contrast to the standard buffet.

Entertainment: The usual lip synching, but better dancing than what we’ve experienced at other resorts.

Water sports: Scuba Caribe operates on the premises. There appear to be enough pedal boats and kayaks to go around. Hobie sailboats are in somewhat shorter supply and it took a visit to the very helpful hotel director, Zuly, to convince the S.C. staff that we were capable of “light wind sailing”. After that, we had no trouble getting a boat.

Tours: You can go across the street to the Caracol mall and save close to 20% off hotel prices to book tours. We did the Tulum/ Xel Ha trip and enjoyed the day thoroughly. $70 USD each vs. $89 via our tour rep. We also did a one hour snorkel for 30 USD each at the reef between the hotel and Isla Mujeres. The trip was only “OK” for the price.

So many small things add up to a great week versus a good week. Despite the fact that the hotel was booked to capacity, we felt we had friendly professional desk service, tasty food and drink, excellent maid and bar service, and quality accommodation. Just to sit in La Punta bar and look at the sea through the huge and spotless windows was a real treat. This is a beautiful, well maintained Hotel that we would not hesitate to recommend to our best friends.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SilverL
Reviewed 10 January 2007

I travelled to the Riu Cancun as a group of 6 people aged 22-27 (1 female, 5 males); we stayed there from December 30 2006 - January 6th 2007. Overall our stay was fine - nothing was horrible, but there were a few things that were a bit annoying for a resort that claims to be 5*.

ROOMS:
For starters, checking in at 3pm when you arrive at 9am isn't fun; I realize that this is more the fault of the tour operator Sunquest for making us arrive so early, but in past experiences, we're usually given a room anyways. We had to wait until 4pm to get our rooms. The rooms were ok, but the air conditioning - while cooling the room, still left everything very humid and perpetually damp. It also was very noisy which was annoying at night. Our ceiling fan was unusable for the same reason (very noisy - and was loose too...looked like it would fall off!). The bathroom was fine, and we had a beautiful ocean view (All rooms at this resort have an ocean view - a plus!). The beds - unfortunately, were hard as rocks and had 1 sheet and one thin blue sheet/cover to top it off (mine had cigarette burns on it). We had the maid make our beds with the spare blankets because otherwise it was like sleeping on concrete with cardboard sheets. The cable TV was always on the fritz (didn't matter to me much though) and the elevators were always having problems too (people getting stuck, they don't stop on your floor, etc).

FOOD & DRINKS:
Drinks were often made without alcohol unless you specify for alcohol (ie: I want a pina colada with rum please). I was surprised for a 5 star resort that there was no drink service by the pool or on the beach. The food was ok - a lot of variety at the buffet, but it does get repetitive. Breakfast was great - and there was always fresh fruit. Often what you see at lunch is what you get at dinner too. Don Juan was also better than La Mission for variety. Main meals were ok but desserts were awful - don't even bother, they look delicious but taste like sawdust. The biggest annoyance was the A La Carte - for a resort that holds about 2000 people, why oh why do you have restaurants that only hold 60? I had to get up a 6:30 to line up (reservations are from 7-8:30) - the line up starts before the reservation bookings open! I'd wait for about 40 minutes to get my reservation. Twice I went down at 7:15 and they were ALL BOOKED! Bad planning on the hotels' part. Also, they weren't really worth it. I've had much better food at AI resorts in the past. If I had to choose, the Brazilian was better....but it's part buffet. Also, the service was only so-so - sometimes we'd get a great "on the ball" waiter, other times, we'd never get what we ordered.....once we even saw our waiter walking aimlessly around the restaurant with our coffees - we tried to flag him down to tell him they were for us (he'd forgotten who he ordered them for) but he just ended up dumping them. We left and had our coffees at the lobbybar.

POOL & BEACH:
The beach was nice - a little rocky in places, but very pleasant. The pools were also ok - there a few on the resort. One of them is heated to soup-like temperatures (I kinda liked it....) and the others are left to be heated by the sun.

SUN:
BEWARE, the sun is almost always blocked by the hotel, all day! The only place to get sun is on the beach - or the hotels' roof.

PLUSES:
OK, enough ranting and raving because the hotel wasn't bad. The hotel is very well located - it's right next to the caracol mall (across the street) and within walking distance of the club district. We often walked into the "tourist" town for drinks or just to see some of the other hotels. The Staff was usually very friendly and accomodating.

Overall, this was a nice hotel, but not 5* - I'd rate it 3.5 - 4 stars. To me if something is rated 5*, it can't really get much better...and there was room for improvement.

WEDDING NOTE:
We saw several weddings at this resort throughout the week. If you're planning to be married here, be ready to have the backdrop of screaming children in the pool and people in their bathing suits watching you because the "gazebo" is right next to the pool area. It's a very small area.....BUT, the backdrop is beautiful.

FOOD RESTAURANTS OUTSIDE RESORT
We went to a place called the "Crab House" - ok food, but nothing special. The place to go is "Lorenzillos" - amazing lobster but be ready to pay for it!

ANIMATION
I didn't participate in the activities but there were plenty - beer drinking, volleyball, soccer, and the staff was always telling you the happening clubs to go to that night (it's different every night).

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple