US$297
US$378
US$466
US$268
  • Breakfast included
Hotel NYX Cancun(Cancun)(Great Value!)
US$168
The Royal Caribbean(Cancun)
US$120
US$107
US$215
US$169
US$269
10,793 results
All reviewsannex buildingsports barcoco bongoquiet pooljapanese restaurantevery other daybar crawlsteakentertainment staffamazing holidayactivity pooljungle tourcaptain hookmain buffeta la carte restaurantsmake reservationssenor frogs
Reviewed 19 July 2007

My friend and I stayed for 2 weeks in the Riu Cancan in Jun/Jul 07. The hotel is so beautiful and so big. The staff were excellent and the hotel was spotless. We got fresh towels each day in our room, clean sheets and our room was kept so clean during our stay. The food is endless in the Restaurants and tasted so good. We enjoyed going for lunch or dinner each day wondering what theme would be served. The pool entertainment was very good too and made the day go alot quicker.
Our fridge was stocked with Corona, Water and soft drinks each day and there are 4 litres of spirits in your room! You can order any drink you like all day long, its no problem!
Each night at 11pm, staff from the hotel brought everyone out to a different club every night. They have a bus organised and your wristband ready so that we skip all the queues and get into a VIP area in each club. There is Vodka etc and mixers on all the tables and then table service with free drink all night (all you pay is 440-$45 dollars for entrance to the club). This is a great way of getting to know other people and the clubs are brilliant!
I would recomment this holiday to anyone. I will definetely be going back next year!

I also went to an excellent dentist while I was there to get my teeth whitened. I highly recommend this dentist and he speaks English also.
[--]

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trvlhopper
Reviewed 17 July 2007

My family and some friends just returned home from the Riu Cancun on July 16th from a six day stay. Please realize upon reading this review that my family travels frequently and is used to very nice resorts around the world. We had read many reviews in the previous months before our visit and found none of the "petty" problems that people reported at all. We are picky and couldn't believe that people had complained about such ridiculous items that didn't exist.

The hotel was great, very clean, constantly being tended to. We loved the large, open air feeling and look. The location of the pools overlooking the ocean and beach could not have been better. The pools were great and there was something for everyones taste among the five different pools. If you didn't want the activity pools or infinity pool, you could go across the property to the quieter and cooler pools.

The staff at the hotel and pools were very accomodating. The people who organized all of the pool and nightly activities were wonderful. Very energetic and not pushy, just wanted people to have fun and be involved. There were lots of activities at the pool for the children even if they weren't in the kids club. We found the entire staff from waiters, to bartenders to housekeepers to be overly helpful and not always expecting a tip here and there, as some reviewers had written in the past.

The food was good and of course had something for everyone. We did eat one night in each of the "gourmet" restaurant, the Rodizio and Asian. They were good, although in the Rodizio we felt a bit rushed so they could get the next setting of people in. The Asian was fun and very lively.

If ever there was a problem, the hotel was quick to fix it. For example, our door handle to the balcony was coming off of the hinges when we arrived. Within a few hours it was fixed. The front desk staff was great to us and even made special dinner reservations one night for us at a restaurant of our choice. Alejandro at the front desk was very accomodating and helpful.

The hotel rooms were always kept very clean and neat by housekeeping. We were "upgraded" to a junior suite in the annex building which we liked. It was larger and worked well since we were there for six days. It also was closer to the pools, restaurants, etc. We never had any problem with theft in our rooms as you have with some resorts.

I could go on and on about the resort and how much we enjoyed it. Please take this information seriously and give the Riu Cancun a try. You won't be disappointed. Our friends and family will definitely stay at the Riu resorts again in the near future.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank Alabamalady_7
Reviewed 15 July 2007

WOW! Great hotel, fabulous location, beautiful surroundings, atttentive staff.

I was surprised at the European draw they have. After checking in the elevator up had four couples in it. One from England, one from Australia, one from Scotland and one from Arizona. That fit the profile for the rest of the trip.

For an all inclusive, they tried very hard -- and succeeded for the most part to have activities and food for everyone. Breakfast was always done beautifully and the main restaurant tried hard to vary the cuisine for the rest of the week. The "snack bar" always had fruit, salads hot dogs, fish and hamburgers and had an open grill at night.

Their Japanese restaurant was very good. It fills up entirely too quickly (and is very small), so you really do have to be there before the main restaurant opens at 7 am to reserve a spot.

Their Brazilian restaurant was good, but not great.

Minibars are stocked every other day with soda, water and beer. You can always get more water at the front desk, but you're not likely to run out.

The bed was awful; like trying to sleep on a pallet of cardboard. I asked for a matress pad and it made all the difference. Highly recommended. Shower pressure, even on the 12th floor was good and hot water was always available.

If you want to opt in for hotel activities, there are plenty of them. If you opt out, that's fine, too. They have 4 cute Hobie 14' catamarans, lots of snorkeling equipment and a few kayaks. If you want jet skis, they're down the beach for a better (not good, but slightly better) price.

The Riu Palace is right next door. We visited, but decided that the Riu Cancun is better! More pools, far better (and larger) beach) and more pool lounges. There are plenty of lounges, by the way, we could always locate two of them.

There were only two downsides...two and a half if I think about it.

One: (The Palace next door was exactly the same) They need to give up either some deck space or some grassy area and build in bathrooms. The nearest restroom is too far away and tucked back between the entrance to the theater and restaurant. With all those happy, drunk people in the pools and the dry floor in the ladies room, I could only conclude it was best for me to be a happy, drinking person in the ocean or at the dry side of the bar. I didn't go in the swim up bar...especially in the afternoon.

Two: 500+ rooms, four elevators. It seems there was always a line to go up to your room and a long wait to come down. The elevators have a pretty, glass front for you to see the lagoon, but are not vented or air conditioned. They are miserable places to be in the afternoons.

Two and a half: I booked directly through the hotel. Their concierge is as lame as any I've ever met anywhere in the world. They outsource "activities" and airport transfers through a company called "hotel beds". They were not immediately there at the airport (though they showed up quickly once I called them). They also charge 11.25 pesos to the dollar (the exchange rate is 10.4) for any activities you book through them. So don't book through them. They "sold" us a whale shark tour they knew flat out nothing about. Does someone pick you up at the hotel? Where do you go? Where does the boat leave from? What time do you leave? Return? Nada. They knew nothing. I cancelled and booked elsewhere, but got a big fat headache for cancelling.

Those booking through vacation companies like Apple or Funjet had their own, overworked concierge, but it was better than the hotel's or Hotel Bed's.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sonoran_Skies
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We visited the Riu Cancun this April and we weren't disappointed!
The hotel was fantastic in every respect, from the grand entrance to the spectacular ocean view boasted by every room. The rooms were very clean and well furnished, complete with a minibar stocked with local spirits. The fridge was filled each day with Corona, water and soft drinks which provided welcome refreshment after a day on the beach. The beds were a little hard but still comfortable.
The food and drinks at the Riu Cancun were wonderful, the buffet style restaurant had an excellent selection meats, fish, pasta, salad in fact there was something for everyone. the cocktails were delicious and regularly replenished! The buffet was themed each evening and I really enjoyed their Mexican night with delicious burritos. The food was fresh and the restaurant was spotless, which brings me onto the staff. I cannot praise the staff at the Riu Cancun enough, they were friendly, courteous and exceptionally hardworking, nothing was too much trouble for them, this created a warm atmoshphere in the hotel.
The grounds were well maintained and the pools were lovely, especially the infinity pool. The beach was also clean and the ocean as warm as a bath! Paradise!
The entertainment in the evenings was good family fun, the Michael Jackson evening was a highlight and the Mexican dancers were great.
Our Thomson reps, Paul and Natalie were based in the hotel and provided an excellent service, organising trips and answering any queries. We went on the Dolphin Discovery trip and also loved the shopping in Cancun, especially window shopping on Luxury Ave!
The only negative aspects of the hotel was the many children on Spring Break who were drunk and rowdy, not appropriate in a family hotel ! We were also delayed 22 and a half hours on our outbound flight from Manchester which was very frustrating! We were very disappointed with the standard of service provided by the Thomson reps at the airport who kept us ill informed throughout our delay.
Despite this, we had an amazing week in Mexico and are just planning to go back to the Riu Cancun next year! Please book this hotel and enjoy a fantastic break!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Docs1987
Reviewed 14 July 2007

We came here to Riu Cancun after spending 3 nights in Playa Del Carmen in a small hotel. If you do not like huge crowds eating from the same place every day then I would not stay here. We were only here for 4 nights so we really did not mind but I know a whole week would have been to much considering that there are so many restaurants that we would have liked to of tried outside the Hotel but why waste the money when you already paid for the food and drinks at the Riu. The Japanese restaurant they had was delicious. I had read other reviews that were negative about the restaurant but we really enjoyed our food. Sushi was delicious!!! Service was great except for the front desk. Receptionist was very rude and would not look up our name on the reservation list she said she needed the confirmation form that was in my suitcase. She never smiled and I noticed the people next to us also getting a hard time from their check in girl for the same thing. No confirmation form and they get all bent out of shape about it. Also one time at one of the restaurants one of the employees was yelling at someone under him and calling him names. Made us feel uncomfortable for the rest of our meal.
Over all though the pools were awesome and the beach was great!!!! It was nice to head over to the bar and the bartender would remember what I had ordered before and have my drink ready by the time I got there.
They played a different movie every day and shows every night as well.
Location is great! Close to discos and shops!!! Really a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple