“Wedding at the RIU”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 18 August 2007

We attended a friends wedding at the RIU Cancun the first week of May 2007. This was the second RIU hotel that I have stayed at and it was great!
The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The service was good but not great, depending on whom it was. The food in the main hall was good - always a lot of great Mexican food, the best guacamole and lots of fresh fruit. The least favorite was the eggs in the morning were always covered in sauce(salsa, salsa verde, hot sauce etc) We ate one night at the Brazilian restaurant and felt it was not worth it... way too much meat and little else to have, however, if you are meat lover - enjoy! The Japanese place was also average.
The best part about the hotel was the pools and the beach - just awesome! They serve drinks to you on the beach when you can get the waiter -so fun!
The only negative thing was the swim up bar pool was always filled with drunken yahoo's and by mid afternoon the pool was so dirty with spilled drinks and sunscreen oil slicks that I would not have gone in there for anything! It was a really small pool to begin with and with so many people in it - it was nasty.
However the other pool beside it was beautiful and like a bath. As well the pool on the east side was quiet and cool. The views from our room were so beautiful! The rooms were nice very similar to other RIU's - very clean - the maids work very hard to ensure the rooms are always clean when you are gone, and often left towel animals for us, So cute! The one thing that was super fun as well was the Pirate Ship adventure - they take you out on two real pirate ships and have a show, dancing, a lot of drinking and a great lobster or steak dinner. So much fun and worth every penny!
All and all though, I don't think I would go back to Cancun anytime soon - as it felt like we could have been in Florida or something - very Americanized - with branded stores and restaurants on the strip. Did not feel like a real destination. If I was 21 again I think it would be the perfect place to go and party it up with my friends. My husband and I both said we liked Dominican Republic better.
All in all it was a wonderful vacation with lots of friends and a beautiful wedding on the beach!

Reviewed 17 August 2007

This hotel was great for many reasons, one it was clean, it was large, and the service was very good, except for the people in the convient shop, they didn't seem too plesant. This hotel was close to the night life so you were able to walk if u felt like it. Not too many familys, not too many kids, over all it was just a very nice hotel. The food was pretty good, but no room service. I would have to say my only complaint was that the Jacuzzies were not heated. The beach was very, very nice. Oh and every night you can meet with the workers in the lobby and they take you out to the clubs or hot spots that are happening on that night, so you don't waste your time going to places that are not good.
Over all i had a great time, and i would def go back.

• Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank Penggal1
Reviewed 14 August 2007

I use trip advisor like a travel bible. So I thought it was only fair to post my review after reading others. I travel with my 71 year old grandmother, 16-year-old son, and myself 35. The Riu was very nice. Food was very good quality. I am able to compare the food to Tucancun and Royal Solaris. Beds were hard as previously stated..Tossed and turned all night but hey I was in Cancun. Women please very careful when walking in heels the tile is very slippery. I felled once in the main restaurant. Ouch!! Staff was very friendly. Someone cleaning daily. Enjoyed the entertainment crew. Seen better at other resorts. Everyday there was a group of rowdy people. Nationality and color was the issue. Came from different culture on different day. Overall I would stay at this resort again. Since I like to try different hotels, I will be visiting the Cancun Palace next year. Go and have fun.

Pools- very nice. Never visit the swim up pool to packed
food-100% wonderful
Customer service- 100% excellent. Allowed me to change room since I didn't like the one they select room 1420 in main building view is BREATH TAKING. Free up grading to Riu Palace. I declined since my son was having a wonderful time.
Staff members- 100% friendly

Met some very nice friends. Hello to Don and wife and daughter. My son and I enjoyed your laughter during Karaoke
My friends from Oklahoma. and Andrea and her husband.
Thanks to my wonderful travel agent Todd at always about travel located in Ga

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank FLIMFLUBIN
Reviewed 13 August 2007

Hola. We will try to make this review as short as possible but with such a fantastic holiday it will be very difficult! First of all we booked our holiday through Portland Direct, we really recommend this site as they are exactly the same as in the main Thomson and Thomson Far and Away Brochures but half the price!

THE LONG HAUL FLIGHT FROM GATWICK FLYING WITH THOMSONFLY.
This was absolutely excellent from the minute we checked in. The legroom was very much improved as was the food. Really good quality and we even had afternoon tea (sandwiches with the crusts cut off and cake!). The screens in the back of the headrests were an absolute godsend, didn't hear one child cry as there were so many films and tv programmes to watch, radio channels to listen to and music which you could download into your own play list and games to play. You can upgrade for £5 for an even better selection and this also allows you to pause your film/programme if you want to catch a few Z's!! We were also supplied with a small complimentary pack containing socks, lip balm, body lotion, eye mask, toothbrush and toothpaste etc. A nice touch. We were given two forms on the plane to fill in to be handed over at passport control.

GOING THROUGH PASSPORT CONTROL AT MEXICO
This again was nothing as bad as I had read in previous reviews. The gentleman who took our form was very nice and polite and even made the effort to tell us a quick bit about Mexican football as our son was wearing an England top!

ARRIVING AT THE RIU CANCUN
This was effortless. The bellboy took our luggage off of the coach and they were all lined up in reception. The whole group was then taken to a room to be given our room keys. A very welcome cocktail greeted us. We were given a short talk about the hotel and the services they offered and opening times of the restaurants. Each family was then given an envelope with door key, lock for the safe and key, and card to redeem your swimming pool towel. We were the last to be given our envelope and were surprised to be told that they had upgraded us to a suite. It may have been that we were renewing our wedding vows at the hotel. This was a pleasant surprise and a very nice touch. We were also given a sticker to write our room number on which then had to be stuck on our suitcases so the bell boy knew were to take the luggage to.

OUR ROOM
We didn't stay in the main V shaped part of the hotel as the suites are all located above one of the main restaurants. We were very impressed. Not only did we have two double beds but a very comfortable lounge area with sofa bed. The bathroom was very impressive with his and her wash hand basins. The complimentary shampoo/foam bath/soap/flannels etc was another nice touch. Yes the beds were a little hard but nothing beats your own bed. This is where the optics in your room came in handy. These included Tequilla, Brandy, Rum and Vodka. A little tipple or two before bed and you slept like a baby! There was also a fridge stocked with Cola, Corona Beer, Water, 7UP etc. We found leaving a couple of dollars the bottles and fridge were refilled daily. We also used to leave a couple of dollars for the maid just to show our appreciation. There were also two very large wardrobes with lots of coat hangers and an iron and ironing board. We were in room 349A, which had the most fantastic view over the pools and beach. The air conditioning was a blessing as the humidity was very high, but if you do get a little cold you can turn it down by various controls on the wall. We don't advise turning it off like we did for a couple of nights as everything tended to get a little damp due to the humidity. The television was adequate, as were the channels. Why go away on holiday if all your going to do is sit and watch television!

WEDDING AT RIU CANCUN
Like we mentioned earlier, we were renewing our wedding vows at the RIU Cancun. The day after we arrived we had a meeting with the Wedding Co-ordinator. She was very nice and explained the procedures and what we'd like and didn't want. We were given a brochure with flowers in to choose what we'd like the Gazebo decorated in. We could have renewed or vows on the beach but we liked the look of the Gazebo. She put our minds at ease about everything and we couldn't fault the service we were given at all. I had my hair and make-up done at the hotel spa and this cost $80, around £40, absolute bargain as both hair and make-up were excellent. The day went without a hitch; it was absolutely perfect from start to finish. The Gazebo looked stunning especially with the red rose petals scattered and the Minister who performed the ceremony was lovely. The ceremony lasted about 30 minutes, during which time the photographers were taking photos throughout. They too were absolutely lovely. After the ceremony we had more photos taken, some romantic ones and some fun ones on the beach which made a nice touch. All in all they took 160 photos. We'd arranged to purchase a wedding album with 24 colour photos in and the hotel gave us an extra 8 large ones as a wedding present, again, a very thoughtful touch. It was so hard choosing which ones to have as I can say hand on heart out of the 160 photos there wasn't a single bad one. With that we bought a CD with the whole 160 on so we can get more printed off for friends and family back home, which we have done. This cost $150, around £75, an absolute bargain. For our reception we chose the Brazilian Restaurant, this was absolutely first class. You go up to the salad bar for your starters then they bring round giant kebab skewers with various meets on them, these included sirloin steak, sausage, pork, chicken, tuna...it went on and on! You then go up to help yourself to the huge variety of deserts and ice-creams. We were then given another bottle of champagne to celebrate. Our table was also decorated with the beautiful flowers that had been in the Gazebo. The restaurant staff really made a fuss of us. When we came out of the restaurant everyone in the Lobby Bar started cheering and clapping and we were ushered into the bar to have a slow dance whilst the keyboard player played “Falling in Love With You” by Elvis. When we got back to our room at the end of the day the flowers from the Gazebo were in our room along with two towel swans and red rose petals scattered, it was so pretty. It really finished off a fantastic and very memorable day and all we can say is a BIG thank you to everyone at the RIU Cancun involved.

HOTEL RESTAURANTS/FOOD
Where do we start! As mentioned above the Brazilian Restaurant was excellent. We didn’t get chance to enjoy the delights of the Japanese Restaurant but I am sure it was just as good. The main Don Jaun Restaurant was again excellent. This was a very large air-conditioned restaurant and somewhere to escape from the humidity/sun occasionally! Can we also point out that never did we ever have a problem finding a table free. The Don Jaun is a huge restaurant.

BREAKFAST
There was everything you could possibly imagine. Eggs were poached, fried, hard-boiled, soft boiled, scrambled, scrambled with bacon, omelettes, the list is endless. There was bacon, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, and beans. There was cheeses, cold meats, salad, cereals galore, doughnuts, croissants, rolls, bread, pancakes, smoothies freshly made. Even nachos and chilli! Also, as soon as a tray of food was getting on the low side it was taken away and replaced with a full one. Never did we see empty trays. The waiters also supplied large coffee jugs at your table or pots of tea as required.

LUNCH/DINNER
What a variety. Each day was dedicated to a specific theme, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish etc. If you can’t find something that you like from the huge selection then you must be crazy. The food was always hot and plentiful. The Mission Restaurant was again very good with a huge variety of food and in the evenings there would be a chef cooking fresh steaks/chicken/pork/fish just how you wanted them cooked. These were absolutely excellent. It was nice to sit in this restaurant watching the sun go down but it did get a little warm in here. Both restaurants you could help yourself to wine, white/red or rose, beer, or every possible soft drift imaginable.

SNACKS
Throughout the day The Mission Restaurant did hot/cold food. The Sports bar had a fridge which had hot dogs/beef burgers in which you could heat up in a microwave supplied in the bar. It also had salads and rolls in it. Both the Lobby Bar and the Sports Bar also had Nachos, chillis and cheese sauce you could help yourself to.

All in all you really could eat and drink 24/7! I think I must have put on about a stone as the food really was of a very high standard. Please also note that whilst sitting on the beach or round the pool, waiters would come and ask if you’d like a drink. We used to tip them a dollar as a way of saying thank you. After all, we felt bad sat there doing nothing in the sweltering heat and they were running around sweating after us!

ENTERTAINMENT
We didn’t really join in with this as we just wanted a relaxing lazy holiday and some of it looked far too energetic for us! We did however do three trips. The Platanium Cruise to Isla Majures to swim with the dolphins. This was such fun and good value for money. It was $189 each, around £90 and it included a fab help yourself breakfast on the small ferry across to the island, the Royal Swim with four dolphins, including the fin pull and foot push and of course to kiss a dolphin and much more interaction with them, snorkelling with sting rays, a bit scary as they were so big, swimming around tiger sharks, again they were very large, as much as you could eat (and drink!) from the buffet lunch, a cycle ride to see the turtles, a pleasant cruise back to downtown Cancun with more drink if required and then back to the port. It was a fantastic day. We bought the DVD of us swimming with the dolphins and all our photos and this was $150, around £75, again another bargain, and yes the DVD does work back in the UK! By the way, the tour guides were absolutely excellent; they were such fun and made the day an absolute blast.

The next trip we did was to the Mayan Ruins, one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. We couldn’t go all the way to Mexico without seeing them, although we were told it would take three hours to get there. This was no problem as the coach was air conditioned and had seats which could lay flat. We also had a hostess on board serving tea/coffee and cold drinks and also cakes! More food! The ruins were absolutely facinating but it was very, very hot there. Our guide was also very comical and did make us laugh. On the way back to Cancun we stopped at a typically Mayan Restaurant for lunch, this was very good, as was the Mayan Liquoir. All in all, a good day but not recommend for children really under the age of about ten as we would imagine they would get very bored.

Our last trip was on Captain Hooks Pirate Ship. Wow, what fun we had. We must stress that to enjoy it at its best you have to join in and as they said, if you make a fool of yourself, hey does it matter, you probably won’t ever see the people again! We cruised out of the harbour being entertained by Captain Hook and his crew, one of them even looked the spitting image of Captain Jack Sparrow…phwoar! We cruised past the RIU Cancun which was nice seeing in from the sea and then turned round to come across another pirate ship, where we had a mock battle with cannons going off and fireworks, which again was very entertaining. The food was of a high standard considering we were on a ship, lobster, steak, chicken, jacket spuds, salad and we were forever being given a drink of our choice. Children will love this trip.

SWIMMING POOLS
All four pools were very good and clean but don’t expect them to be cold. By the end of the day they were like a very warm bath! The swim up bar tended to get very busy with young Americans who didn’t budge all day, and we didn’t like the thought of what they might be doing in the pool so avoided that one. Another pool had the daily activities going on in it, but the other two infinity pools were lovely. The one next to The Mission Restaurant even had sunbeds you could lie on in the pool to cool off. The Pool around the other side did tend to get the shade from about 2pm but this again was quite nice to escape from the heat. Every hour or so we saw people from the hotel testing the water, another sign of a quality hotel.

BEACH
The beach was lovely and its true, you can walk on the sand and it stays cool. The water is as blue as in all the pictures. We did some snorkelling and it’s incredible to see the amount of fish swimming around you. You do get people trying to sell you jewellery, cigars, sarongs but if you politely tell them no thank you they will leave you alone.

Well, I think that just about wraps it up. The hotel was absolutely spotless, there is always someone cleaning and polishing. As we were not staying in the main V shape part of the hotel we did go up in the lift to the top to take a picture of the view, yes the lifts were warm as I’ve read about in previous reviews but you’re not spending your entire holiday in a lift! Grin and bear it, it’s only for a couple of minutes. How can some people be so critical. We would really recommend this hotel and will definitely be trying another RIU hotel.

By the way, the weather was fantastic, had a couple of thunder storms at night but was quite entertaining sat on the balcony watching the lightning out at sea.

ENJOY

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
19  Thank R0nr0n
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We visited the Riu Cancun on July 8th - 13th...14 of us! We had an awesome time. Yes the beds are hard but you don't notice due to all the "fun in the sun" during the day.
I read all the reviews before we went. My comment is we didn't have any problems. First class all the way. The food was good! Yes, the swim up bar does seem a little "cloudy" but I did see people leaving to go potty and one other note for all you people that think the swim up pool is for feet washing....wash your sandy feet in the outdoor shoe/body shower that is provided and not in the pool.........I bet that would clear some water up. They have two showers by the beach and two by the swim up bar pool.
I would be at the Riu Cancun right now if I could. Don't think twice....book this hotel!
Shopping across the street was great also!
I hope to go back next summer, if not sooner!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends