“Caught trying to rip us off! Too bad!   ”
Review of El Moro

El Moro
Ranked #23 of 445 Restaurants in Cozumel
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed the food and drink, but I caught them trying to rip us off. The menu has two different fish dinners wrapped in foil…one comes with shrimp at 220 pesos and the other is plain (and is a lower price). My husband doesn’t eat shrimp, but I do and felt like having some shrimp, so he ordered the fish that came with shrimp. The waiter asked me how I wanted them prepared, which was very nice, and I suggested that he choose the preparation, as long as it was not spicy. Since I was just planning on eating them off of my husband’s plate, but felt it was very nice of the waiter to offer to prepare them as I wanted. I ordered chicken mole and a margarita (which was excellent…perhaps one of the best that Ihad during our vacation. The chicken mole tasted great, and it was a nice size piece of chicken, although for a drumstick & thigh, it was a bit tough. When the bill came, I noticed that in addition to charging us for the things that we ordered, the waiter charged us for the shrimp. He told me that he gave us bigger shrimp than what comes with my husband’s fish normally (they were not tiny shrimp but definitely not large). We discussed it a little, and he gave us a new bill which was still not correct. I figured out what we should have paid, added a 15% tip (which at this point, was generous), and we left. Afterwards when I had a chance to review what he charged me for my chicken, I noticed that he overcharged me for that as well. We were in Cozumel for two weeks, and we went on the 2nd night of our trip….we would have gone back several more times, IF this hadn’t happened. Too bad.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

This is a family owned restaurant. The food was delicious and the staff mad is so very enjoyable and fun. It was a family atmosphere and hugs with everybody who worked there when we left. We both had Mexican chicken dishes which were delicious. It is about 1 mile from the center of San Miguel in a local neighborhood. We walked and enjoyed the walk, but there are many taxis if you have no energy left. I can't say enough positives about our experience here.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

El Moro came highly recommend and it did not disappoint. Staff gave us several recommendation, and we tried 3 of them, Fresh, Hot and quick the meal was delivered to our table and was so very good.,

Reviewed 28 February 2018

The staff was so friendly and accommodating. The food is fantastic but the place is always hopping so be prepared.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

I hesitate to write this review as I selfishly want to keep this place a secret! Amazing, authentic Yucatan food and drinks. Fabulous mojitos. Rey has been a waiter for 20+ years - he is great and so hospitable. LOVE El Moro!