“Travel Agents take on the Allegro Cozumel”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 24 November 2007

My husband, 10 yr old, and I stayed at the Allegro 11/18-11/21. Upon arrival we were greeted by the timeshare hard sell (which is common in Mexico now) but we nicely declined and explained I'm a TA and come all the time. Our room was a second floor palapa room which was interesting. The room is very small 12X12ish w/ two picture windows, a tiny bathroom and good size balconly w/ a hammock and table/chairs. The room is dark because of the thatch roof. You don't have any privacy in the rm as the windows open to others. The first impression is, "cool, I'm in a tree house". However it's also damp, dank, dark and a little creepy wondering what exactly lives up there. If you have allergies or breathing problems this place is not for you. The Beach is wonderful and is the saving grace of this property. Period. It's a good snorkel beach/white sand/clean. This is really the best part of the experience. Food was also a pleasant surprise. I thought it was actually above average for an all inclusive. The service was super. I understand this property is undergoing an ownership change. This may explain why the common areas are in such poor/dirty shape. The pools must be repainted. The restaurants need a good cleaning/painting. The Fast Eddies Bar was so discusting we left. The ceilings have lots of leaks, the paint is peeling, the tiles falling down, lots of rehab must be done. Because of the dirty conditions I decided to start taking my Cipro Antibiotic just in case. I've traveled the world and never taken meds as a preventative until this resort. That should tip you off. Because everything is dirty/broken/sticky etc we were shocked the food was actually pretty good. Drinks were bad. No name brands. Very weak. Now, I've read reviews and heard the weak drink complaints and always thought, "well just ask for extra". I tried that and ended up with a drink that was so strong we'd order a third to balance it out. It was inconvenient . They only have light Corona on tap for any dark beer lovers you're out of luck. We had a lot of rain during our stay and were stuck in our room which brings me back to the "leaky hut" we got to enjoy. Luckily, the leaks were only over my daughters bed so we just moved her. I didn't care for this resort. Having stayed at over 20 All Inclusives this is the only one I wouldn't go back to. It has potential because of the beach, but the common areas are a disaster. It got to the point where you just tried not to look too much knowing if you examin things you'd find something that would gross you out or worry you. I plan to contact this resort and forward this review. Hopefully all of the "official looking" people taking inventory on this property saw what we did and fix the place up.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank maryCincinnati

Reviewed 20 November 2007

There are two good things about this place - the beach and the ocean - both of which have nothing to do with this absolutely pathetic excuse of a "resort".

If you suffer from allergies, do not book here. The upper level rooms smell like mold and you will likely have trouble breathing. The lower level rooms are reserved for smokers. As a person who abhors smoke, I decided that the smoke smelled better than the mold and I stayed the week in a room that never lost its smoky scent. If you are sensitive to noise, this place is the worst, I could hear the man in the room next to me snoring like he was in the bed with me! If bugs like to bite you, reconsider! They are everywhere as the resort is located next to a swamp that smells like a sewer.

However, these problems paled in comparison to the rude and immature staff. They are defensive, confrontational and just plain mean. I plan to write to the headquarters in Spain to complain -
something I have NEVER EVER done before.

Finally, the food was ok. Drinks were served in dirty cups that looked like they were washed in the neighboring swamp. The people at the dive shop were very nice.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank TheLateBartender
Reviewed 17 November 2007

This was the WORST vacation of my entire life. I ended it early to come home to go to the doctor because I was attacked by bed bugs in 3 different rooms and had itching, yellow puss-oozing welts all over my body from the bed bugs. I felt like I was getting an electric shock throughout my body from the allergic reaction to the bed bugs sucking my blood. I pulled up the mattress to look at the box spring and there wasn't one - it's a concrete slab with an old mattress covered with flat sheets - yep, that's your bed. I explored the property to find a small building with folded linens and bed coverings and old mattresses stacked against the wall amid some garbage and overturned furniture. Gee, no wonder there are bed bugs in the mattresses!!! There was garbage all outside the doorway to my room and a full bag of garbage outside another one of my rooms (I changed rooms 3 times to try to beat the bed bugs but they were in each and every room). The bottom floor rooms smell of smoke and the upper floors smell of mold from the thatched straw roofs which leak when it rains not to mention the paper thin walls that allow you to hear EVERYTHING in the rooms next to you. If it were only the rude staff, bad cafeteria style food, horrible beer and wine, tarantulas and snakes I might have been able to stay for my entire vacation, er, prison sentence, but the continuous attacks from the bed bugs were intolerable not to mention disgusting. This property should be CONDEMNED. I will be posting pictures of the squalor around the property and of my welts from the bed bugs in the near future for proof for you. I hope you don't go and ruin a week of your life like I did.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank 51,606
Reviewed 7 November 2007

In 1997, after MUCH deliberation, we booked this hotel for our luna de miel (honeymoon). At the time we'd never had an all-inclusive holiday, nor been to the carribean, so it appeared somewhat costly to us back then.

Off of the jet of 300 or so people into Mexico, only 3 couples were getting on another plane to the island.

On our late entry to the hotel, we were astonished at the approach and by the lobby. The walk to our apartment took our breath away.

There's so much to tell that I don't know where to begin. Let's start with the 'downside'...the worst thing that we witnessed was the masses of food that the Americans simply wasted. Piling up their plates with food, then leaving it (as they didn't particularly like what they'd got) and getting ANOTHER plate of food. This was distressing.

Okay...that said and done....the staff.....oh the staff!! What an INCREDIBLE job they did. Working all day and all night. They were OUT OF THIS WORLD. The food was good, the waiters were brilliant. The sports bar - lacked a LOT in modern music, but we liked the fun of the kitsch American music...YMCA, Hand Jive....and many which I now forget. We had IMMENSE fun with the 4 other English people we met whilst waiting for our flight to Cozumel and are still in touch with them! The Americans seem to like to go to bed early, but the South Americans and Europeans really did have a ball!! It's a great place for fun without worrying about loutish behaviour from drunkards.

The swim up bar was for us AMAZING (this was 10 years ago!!) and the staff were wonderful. As were the drinks...one northern couple we met at the hotel were convinced the drinks were watered down. But the funny thing is....when we returned for our first anniversary (we loved the place THAT much), those same whinging Manchunians were there again!!! I'm half Manc...so don't take offence...

We saw quite a few people from the previous year, validating the point that this hotel is remarkable. We ventured into 'town'...namely Carlos & Charlies bar.

I learnt quite a bit of Spanish whilst there, hubby got his diving certificate.

The room was always left in a brilliant condition. The aircon worked well. I cannot think of a single fault with this hotel. I don't know how I'd feel about it now that we've got a five 1/2 year old in tow....probably choose somewhere with more for kids to do. Honestly? I don't know what facilities there are for children, as we didn't have any! But we weren't bugged by screaming kids.

THIS HOLIDAY WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY AND MORE. It is NINE years since we last went, but it was AMAZING.

Oh, The Italian A La Carte was lovely too!!

Stayed: October 2003
3  Thank Shazza_G_
Reviewed 7 November 2007

This is a jewel of a place; incredibly great food, excellent service, very clean and well kept, rooms nice, very quiet, excellent beach, shows were nice, the staff did everything they could to make my stay the best. I will definately go back and highly recommend it to folks who like a smaller place away from the crowds.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank vikingrider