Playa Azul(Cozumel)
Free cancellation until 03/08
US$175
US$158
Beds Friends Hostel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$34
US$26
Hostelworld.com
  • Restaurant
US$397
US$201
Villas Las Anclas(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$75
  • Pool
Casita de Maya(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$41
Coral Reef Inn(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$55
Baldwin's Guest House Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$257
US$240
Priceline
5,290 results
All reviewsultimate dive experiencethe oriental restaurantfirst clubfishdive shopkids poolgreat beachkids clubdinner buffeta la carte restaurantsfamily resortdive palancarpicky eaterother resortsbeach volleyballrecommend this resorthard beds
Reviewed 20 November 2007

There are two good things about this place - the beach and the ocean - both of which have nothing to do with this absolutely pathetic excuse of a "resort".

If you suffer from allergies, do not book here. The upper level rooms smell like mold and you will likely have trouble breathing. The lower level rooms are reserved for smokers. As a person who abhors smoke, I decided that the smoke smelled better than the mold and I stayed the week in a room that never lost its smoky scent. If you are sensitive to noise, this place is the worst, I could hear the man in the room next to me snoring like he was in the bed with me! If bugs like to bite you, reconsider! They are everywhere as the resort is located next to a swamp that smells like a sewer.

However, these problems paled in comparison to the rude and immature staff. They are defensive, confrontational and just plain mean. I plan to write to the headquarters in Spain to complain -
something I have NEVER EVER done before.

Finally, the food was ok. Drinks were served in dirty cups that looked like they were washed in the neighboring swamp. The people at the dive shop were very nice.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank TheLateBartender
Reviewed 17 November 2007

This was the WORST vacation of my entire life. I ended it early to come home to go to the doctor because I was attacked by bed bugs in 3 different rooms and had itching, yellow puss-oozing welts all over my body from the bed bugs. I felt like I was getting an electric shock throughout my body from the allergic reaction to the bed bugs sucking my blood. I pulled up the mattress to look at the box spring and there wasn't one - it's a concrete slab with an old mattress covered with flat sheets - yep, that's your bed. I explored the property to find a small building with folded linens and bed coverings and old mattresses stacked against the wall amid some garbage and overturned furniture. Gee, no wonder there are bed bugs in the mattresses!!! There was garbage all outside the doorway to my room and a full bag of garbage outside another one of my rooms (I changed rooms 3 times to try to beat the bed bugs but they were in each and every room). The bottom floor rooms smell of smoke and the upper floors smell of mold from the thatched straw roofs which leak when it rains not to mention the paper thin walls that allow you to hear EVERYTHING in the rooms next to you. If it were only the rude staff, bad cafeteria style food, horrible beer and wine, tarantulas and snakes I might have been able to stay for my entire vacation, er, prison sentence, but the continuous attacks from the bed bugs were intolerable not to mention disgusting. This property should be CONDEMNED. I will be posting pictures of the squalor around the property and of my welts from the bed bugs in the near future for proof for you. I hope you don't go and ruin a week of your life like I did.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank 51,606
Reviewed 7 November 2007

In 1997, after MUCH deliberation, we booked this hotel for our luna de miel (honeymoon). At the time we'd never had an all-inclusive holiday, nor been to the carribean, so it appeared somewhat costly to us back then.

Off of the jet of 300 or so people into Mexico, only 3 couples were getting on another plane to the island.

On our late entry to the hotel, we were astonished at the approach and by the lobby. The walk to our apartment took our breath away.

There's so much to tell that I don't know where to begin. Let's start with the 'downside'...the worst thing that we witnessed was the masses of food that the Americans simply wasted. Piling up their plates with food, then leaving it (as they didn't particularly like what they'd got) and getting ANOTHER plate of food. This was distressing.

Okay...that said and done....the staff.....oh the staff!! What an INCREDIBLE job they did. Working all day and all night. They were OUT OF THIS WORLD. The food was good, the waiters were brilliant. The sports bar - lacked a LOT in modern music, but we liked the fun of the kitsch American music...YMCA, Hand Jive....and many which I now forget. We had IMMENSE fun with the 4 other English people we met whilst waiting for our flight to Cozumel and are still in touch with them! The Americans seem to like to go to bed early, but the South Americans and Europeans really did have a ball!! It's a great place for fun without worrying about loutish behaviour from drunkards.

The swim up bar was for us AMAZING (this was 10 years ago!!) and the staff were wonderful. As were the drinks...one northern couple we met at the hotel were convinced the drinks were watered down. But the funny thing is....when we returned for our first anniversary (we loved the place THAT much), those same whinging Manchunians were there again!!! I'm half Manc...so don't take offence...

We saw quite a few people from the previous year, validating the point that this hotel is remarkable. We ventured into 'town'...namely Carlos & Charlies bar.

I learnt quite a bit of Spanish whilst there, hubby got his diving certificate.

The room was always left in a brilliant condition. The aircon worked well. I cannot think of a single fault with this hotel. I don't know how I'd feel about it now that we've got a five 1/2 year old in tow....probably choose somewhere with more for kids to do. Honestly? I don't know what facilities there are for children, as we didn't have any! But we weren't bugged by screaming kids.

THIS HOLIDAY WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY AND MORE. It is NINE years since we last went, but it was AMAZING.

Oh, The Italian A La Carte was lovely too!!

Stayed: October 2003
3  Thank Shazza_G_
Reviewed 7 November 2007

This is a jewel of a place; incredibly great food, excellent service, very clean and well kept, rooms nice, very quiet, excellent beach, shows were nice, the staff did everything they could to make my stay the best. I will definately go back and highly recommend it to folks who like a smaller place away from the crowds.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank vikingrider
Reviewed 29 October 2007

I read a multitude of reviews about the Allegro before purchasing a week's stay there. For the most part our vacation was as expected. Our experience from start to finish:

We booked through SpaQuest via the Internet. An actual travel agent would have been more helpful with arranging transfers, etc. We did not have vouchers for van service from the airport to the resort (most other travelers did). For those who don't have vouchers ahead of time, you can purchase them at the airport at a booth at the far right of the hallway as you exit customs. The price was $390 Pesos.

My son and I purchase a ten dive package through SpaQuest. This came to $29 a dive ($32 on site). I would not recommend getting the dive package as you may not be able to complete all ten dives for weather reasons, etc. SpaQuest also did not provide any type of voucher for the dives which was a major problem as it took me about half a day going back and forth between the dive shop and the front desk trying to convince them I actually paid for the package. The dive shop finally relented and were very cordial the rest of the week.

The food was as advertised. I'm an extremely picky eater but did not go hungry. The quality varied but overall quite edible. We felt the best part was the open food bar near the pool that ran from noon - 5 p.m. We ate at the mexican restaurant one night - not too bad.

Following check-in at the front desk you'll be grabbed by a welcome agent who will sit you down and give you the lay of the land. Following that they will hit you with an offer to visit their sister resort next door in return for some discounts on diving or a Jeep/VW Beetle rental. We offered a "no thanks" and the agent continued to hit us with the hard sell. We finally were able to pull away and go to our room. The problem here is these folks camp out at a desk in front of the main lobby and the ramp to go to the restaurant. They absolutely will not leave you alone! We learned from a time share owner there that they look at the color of your wrist band and approach you based on that. They finally gave up on us by Thursday.

The rooms were as advertised. We had a first floor room very near the snack bar/pool. I would recommend paying the additional cost for a superior premium room to be near the beach. Since we went when they were only about 30% occupied, noise was not much of a problem. I could see that it would be quite noisy if all eight rooms in one of the villas were rented. Ear plugs are a must. The showers were good (hot and cold are backwards). They provide two large bottles of water each day for brushing teeth/drinking, etc. There is a free in room safe. TV is adequate with a few English stations. If you need Internet access that's a problem. They charge $4 for 15 minutes so I did not attempt to use it. There is a business center on site that also has Internet, faxing, etc. but it's very pricey.

The beach is OK of you just plan on sunning. The water's edge has very coarse sand and a bit of a drop off that makes it difficult to exit or enter the water at times. There is a roped off area for swimming or snorkeling (not much interesting to see unless you go all the way out to the edge of the barrier). The white sand is highly reflective so even in the shade people were getting burned - bring lots of sunscreen.

We did not go off the property but there is a car rental place directly across the street from the resort. It looked like about the same price as the resort. There really isn't anything in walking distance so if you want to sight see you'll need to rent.

We went for the diving and it did not disappoint. Dive Palancar is the dive shop that is on site. The rental equipment was well-maintained. There is a retail shop there that is pretty limited on selling actual equipment if you break or lose something. Bring spare equipment with you. The resort is in very close proximity to all the popular reefs on the southwest side of the island. Most of the reefs are 5-10 minutes away by boat. Punta sur is about 25 minutes away. For those that aren't aware, the diving in Cozumel is drift diving with varying current strength based on the location. They are very helpful at suggesting sites for your dive style and expectations. The dive masters were all quite good and it's best to follow them to get the full benefit of their knowledge of creature hiding places, etc. They offer twilight/night dives on M-W-F that are a must if you've not done one. Overall the quantity and diversity of sea life was excellent, we even saw an 8 foot green Morey out in the open. For those who are not certified, they offer lessons on-site that are very reasonably priced.

Check out was not a problem. You can tell the front desk what time you would like your bags picked up and the bell hop will summon a cab for you at the front curb. He has a list of what cab fare costs so be sure and check it so you aren't overcharged by the cabbie.

As others have stated, tipping is a must and is expected from what I can tell. The maid typically gets $2 a day. I did not see anyone tipping the wait staff but they did tip the bartenders at the pool. The divemasters typically get $5 a dive as well.

If you don't go outside the resort and are worried about buying memorabilia, you can do that at the airport that has a pretty good store.

Overall, I was very hesitant about going out of the country and it took me a couple of days to get in the swing, but once that happened we had a very enjoyable vacation. I will be going back when the opportunity arises.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank WabashDoc