“Skip it”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I was in Cozumel to compete in the Ironman (this was one of the host hotels). I regret not researching this resort before I booked my package. The food was ok at best, but the noise and smoking were insane. I could not get a good night sleep because I could hear all the yelling, crying, and TVs in neighbors' rooms. I thought about sleeping on my balcony to escape the noise, but my downstairs neighbor would sit outside and smoke all night. I couldn't enjoy the pool or beach area because too many people were smoking there as well. Nothing says paradise like relaxing in the sun and chain-smoking.

Please don't stay here unless you enjoy being bothered by obnoxious, noisy families. My friend stayed at the Sabor (adults only), which I visited and found to be relaxing, quiet, and more suited for people with atleast a drop of class. I will stay there next year.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank DCIM2011
Carolina I, Assistant Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear DCIM2011,
I am very concerned by your review. It is our goal to ensure guest satisfaction and, as one of the host hotels during the Ironman Event, we were committed to ensuring that all athletes had a relaxing and comfortable stay. Please accept our apologies for not being aware of your situation. As a service-oriented company we are not able to prevent guests smoking in the public areas of the hotel. We do, however, have non-smoking building and quiet areas available by request. Unfortunately, we do not have soundproof walls yet.
Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts, and we do hope a second opportunity to change your perception of the hotel in the future.
Occidental Allegro Cozumel

Write a ReviewReviews (4,829)

Reviewed 21 December 2011

I stayed here for the first time this year 12/13-19, about $80 per night AIl inclusive. Previously I have been at El Cid closer to town (same price per night, but no food/drinks). The staff were very friendly and really made my stay great. The did a cake on my birthday and Raul, head of food and beverage was great with individual requests. I traveled alone and felt very safe and everyone was very friendly. I've never stayed at all inclusive, but it was fine for my needs. There was seafood everyday at lunch and dinner. The vegetables could have been cooked more or spices added some days. The food was less quality than buffet restaurants in the US, but after talking to other people at Park Royale, I think it was similar. There were lots of choices of food. Red wine could be improved; they served plenty of Corona beer. :-) The rooms are dated with very hard beds; decor was very plain, maybe two star quality in the US. They didn't look like the web pictures, but I wasn't in the room much. If you want a fabulous beach and dive sites just off shore and friendly staff - this place was great for relaxation away from the cruise ships and tourists in town. Loved it, will return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank 4mauisun

Dear 4mauisun
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and I have shared your comments with my team. I am proud to learn that our staff was successful in providing you a cake for your celebration and for create a truly memorable time for you. We will congratulate Raul and his team for that.
We really appreciate your feedback about the food seasoning and red wine; I will address this to the departments involved so they can work in better options. I am sorry to hear the room was not as much as you expected.
Thanks for visiting us. We will love to have you back!

Reviewed 21 December 2011

My 5 years old and I stayed at Occidental Alegro Cozumel for a week recently...it was a last minute decision and being quite fussy with food and all, my expectations were not very high...(which sometimes help!) I had read negative comments about food mostly but also general maintenance of the complex...
I most admit that I soon as We arrived I was very positively surprised by the very professional staff at the front desk and the superb and very well groomed gardens...
Having stayed in various other hotels in different location in Mexico I am acustomed to little flaws in the general conditions of the rooms and would not be put off by small details like the grout around the bathtub or other minor details....My room was spacious, bright,located in a quiet area and very welcoming...When I asked housekeeping for a couple of personal preferences about the way my room was done...immediately it was done... and so on everyday...
The children's pool area was great! (even tough day 2 one of the compressor broke down and not all the water spouts were functionning for the rest of the week...slides were still great and very popular with the little ones... There was an adult pool that was beautiful... the other pool(closer to the beach) could have been (and should have) the most popular but it needs some paint and it made it look dirty... unappealing... fortunately the nearby beach was so beautiful you would forget about that pool.... The service in all the bars ,restaurant and buffet was very attentive, prompt and friendly... people would even remember your name...
Unfortunately, even though the Quality of the food was nice,one week of it was enough for me...the fact that it was never hot and always in a lot of sauce was a bit disappointing.The oriental(popular) and mexican(not so)restaurants were not consistant in their product or service.
Overall a very relaxed place to go with diving/snorkeling friends and or family members with a beautiful beach and nice pleasant staff ... would go back!

Room Tip: Far from the kiddie pool area (if you are not bringing your children!)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Marie-josee L

Dear Marie-Josee L
I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in general you had a positive experience. I will share you comments with the entire team so they can be aware about your feelings. I am pretty sure they will be very thankful.
We have taken notes to your pleasant recommendations about pools and meals and please accept our sincere apologizes regarding to the water park issue and lack of consistent in our restaurants. I assure you I will address this to maintenance and kitchen.
Once again thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Cozumel.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

We had stayed here about 5 times but after the last stay about 2 years ago we never planned to go back. But skiing is very bad in Colorado so far this season and we saw a good deal to Allegro so we booked a trip on Friday that left on Saturday. 2 years ago it was "White Sands" Allegro and catering to obese, drunk, British tourists. We are happy to say that these people are gone and the resort is much better, consistent with other recent reviews. The staff was also happier to see us American Tourists back instead of the Brits.

The location is on the best reefs on Cozumel. We dive with a small operator who picks us up on the dock. We are usually the last to be picked up and first to be dropped off. It is in the middle of a sandy beach where you can walk for 45 minutes either North or South.

Overall the value is good but we have stayed at better (more expensive) resorts and lesser resorts that were only slightly less expensive. The food is good but not great. It was similar every day but did include beef, chicken and fish dishes. The food in the steam table was only warm. The Mexican and Oriental Restaurants were good but we liked the old Italian Restaurant better.

This property is not quite up to the Allegro standards we have seen at other Allegro properties. It is in need of some repair. The main pool needs painting and railings were being replaced while we were there. Service was very good but the resort was probably only 1/3 full. They did change our room to a quieter one and did allow us to stay after posted check out time for which they get credit and a better rating.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 2skidivers

Dear 2skidivers
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Allegro Cozumel. It is great to learn that you found us like a great location for your diving, which make us feel very proud. Thank you also for you comments about the food, we are always working to accommodate the menus to the eating styles of all the guests and we are very sorry if you were not fully satisfied. I am sorry for not been able to offer you the Italian restaurant, I assure you the Oriental was a huge challenge for us and fortunately we have good comments about it.
I will discuss you feedback about the Allegro standards with the head`s departments since we do have the same quality policy and goals like the other properties, we cannot permitted to show the images you already had. Please be informed that pool painting is part of the maintenance program this year and as the high season start, pool painting would affect many visitors during their stay.
Thank you again for your comments and he hope to host you in the near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Words can not express our disappointment with the circumstances we endured. We checked in at the Grand and were told that the hotel had overbooked. Which was a surprise to us, since we had booked in advance. We were given the option of staying at the Allegro or iberostar. Not knowing either one we opted for the sister hotel, the Allegro. We were also told we would be given a "free" 3 night stay at the Grand, but it could not be Dec. 15-April 25 and that it was valid for 18 months. We were fine with that until we arrived at the Allegro. The food and accommodations were terrible. We were first told we could not check in for 1.5 hours, because they had to get the room ready.(this is important information). So we went down and sat by the beach. When we got checked in(3 hours later) and located our room, we put our luggage away, and decided to shower before we went to eat. We had NO hot water and the hair dryer didn't work. We went to eat, and stopped to visit with Carlos, the manager on duty, and requested a move to the Iberostar in the morning. He said we needed to come by at noon the next day and he would move us. We got back to the Allegro to retire for the night at about 8:30PM. As we pulled the covers back, we found the mattress, sheets and pillow cases were completely soaked(it did not rain that day, so I'm not sure how long the room was in that condition). Please note we could not check in because they had to get the room ready. We went to the front desk to express our grave disappointment and were shown 4 rooms that were NOT ready for occupancy. We were finally given a room that was musty smelling, with a hole in the ceiling, and water drip marks on the wall, obviously from water running down after a rain and another hairdryer that did not work. We went to the front desk and said we wanted out of the hotel immediately, and wanted to be moved to the Iberostar. The manager said, he would have to call the Grand, but we couldn't move until the next morning. He said we should be at the front desk at 9:00AM and he would move us to the Iberostar at that time. We went down to the front desk at 9:00AM as instructed and the manager was not available. We talked to Carlos at the Grand and he said we had to go back to the Grand to get a letter and we would be moved, but not until 12:00 noon. So, we walked back to the Grand, with our luggage and were met with an unhappy manager(Carlos). He did give us the letter and provide transportation to the Iberostar. There is very little or no chance we will be able to use the 3 night voucher to return to the Grand, as we saved for quite some time to be able to make this trip. IF I did not like my mother-in-law, I would not even recommend this hotel to her. I sent a letter to Occidental and did not get a response. Our experience tells us this is a pathetic company. On the other hand, the Iberostar was AWESOME!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank CraigAndGeorgia

Dear GraigAndGeorgia
On behalf of our entire staff and management team we would like to apologize for the experience you had at Allegro Cozumel. It is very sad to know we were not able to provide you a memorable vacation; I assure you that we take your feedback very seriously.
In regards to your comments about the hotel relocation, It is not common practice for Occidental Hotels & Resorts to overbook one hotel and send the guests to another. However, in high season the hotels are sometimes compromised by a very high demand for rooms and have little choice but to accommodate them at another property. As a hotel host we are committed to ensure the best stay for each of guests but it appears that we fell short on this during your stay . I will share your feedback with the front desk staff and housekeeping, and discuss the issue with the late check in and condition of room since this is not part of our service standard and to avoid this in the future. Also I will verify with costumer services and management if they are aware of your letter so we can give you an appropriately response. I will contact you directly via TripAdvisor in order to get more information about your experience.
Sincerely.