Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
7,381 results
All reviews ultimate dive experience first club fish dive shop kids pool great beach kids club dinner buffet a la carte restaurants water polo family resort beach volleyball dive palancar recommend this resort other resorts grounds are beautiful all inclusive resort
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 June 2008

this is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in, ive never complained about a holiday before but this was dire, from the time we walked in we were shocked, this is not a 4* hotel, and has not been refurbished, the rooms are small and dingy with beds built on concrete slabs so really hard and uncomfortable, we had a thached roof and ants dropped off into our beds, we would wake up each day covered in bites and dead ants, it took 4 days for anyone to do anything about it and then they just sprayed fly spray the ants were back the next day, the pools are dirty and the blue paint comes off on your clothes/skin, the hotel is not finished and there was work going on while we were there, the food is awful ok at first but it got worse during our stay, there is only one place to eat at lunch and it only serves burger/hotdogs and chips and a small grill section (beware of the pork) we often couldnt get a coffee later in the day as all closed up, the beach is dirty and the sea often cloudy, there is no fridge in your room and the maids steal, we lost a wedding ring others lost money and cigarettes, the entertainment is like butlins redcoats, its boring and repetitive, all finishes at 10.45 so you get lots of early nights, we endured 6 days here then demanded to be moved after the rain brought yet more ants and some small white flea type bugs into our beds, seriously dont go here, first choice have received endless official complaints, 34 families moved out of here in one day, every day more people had gone, the staff are miserable and unfriendly even though we tried to speak spanish to them, a horrible nightmare i would never go back

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank rodil
Reviewed 11 June 2008

poor standard all round ( location great ) . not a 4* needs some money spending on it to bring it up to 4* .Came back sunday . Cozumel a great place

2  Thank g_roberts58
Reviewed 11 June 2008

Arrived on 25 June 2008, greeted by drinks in dirty/cracked beakers. Suit cases sent to one room and we given key to another. Rooms were not 4 star, no fridge and quite dingy, not newly refurbished as we were lead to beleive. The maids did a good job throughout our stay and the bedding was clean. We had quite a bit of rain and a few of the thatched roofs leaked and there was a lot of room moves. The splash pool was not open and the zip wire/climbing wall was still under construction!! Blue paint from activity pool all over our clothes and a yellow stain on all white clothes, hotel did laundry of affected items FOC after many complaints. Activity pool closed on second week with 1 day notice, drained and workers sent in to remove paint and redo, this will take at least 2 weeks if not more. Splash pool was opened early due to this but it was not fully operational and it was off more than on. When it was on it flooded the main path way and entrence to the kiddies park!! The relaxation pool was open but it had loose concrete underfoot and the blue paint, yellow stain problems of the activity pool. I spend a good deal of my holiday in reception speaking to F/C reps, Simon and Nicky who were bogged down with complaints and transfers, it was a total nightmare, the complex should not have been allowed to open, It is not FIT FOR PURPOSE and we feel totally conned. No football acadamy, no archery, and when they shut the activity pool what are you supposed to do?? The In2active team tried to move activities to the relaxation pool but with swimming and scuba lessons going on they were all unable to fit into this site. The holiday was nothing like First Choice sold on the internet or in their brochure.

Date of stay: June 2008
4  Thank holidayjune2008
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I cannot understand al the negative reviews i have read on HVWS.
Firstly, i have not read any where that the hotel has been refurbished, if it did say refurbished then that means anything in the need of repair would be refurbished - not everything 100% refurbished. In the brochure it states 'New for Summer 2008'. We had been prewarned that the splash pool and the climbing ropes were not ready.
Our room had two queen size beds, ample place for clothes and a bathroom. The room was clean and the AC worked. The only problem we had was the toilet broke this was repaired within 2 hours. This room was sufficent for my husband, my self and 2 daughters aged 13 and 10. The room was cleaned daily and with fresh towels.
The activity pool was closed after a week due to paint staining swim wear. Reception were more than willing to wash these items.
Unbelievably 1 holiday maker spent all week having fun in this pool and the moment it was emptied he was in there taking photographs!
The food could have been better but we did not starve. We had 2 beautiful meals in both the Oriental and the Mexican restaurants.
The staff were mostly friendly but very overworked.
The entertainment team worked hard and tried to cater for everyone.
Simon (FC rep) was polite and friendly in view of the amount of complaints such as the birds were making to much noise and the iguanas should be kept in a cage.
Maybe we were lucky as we heard some people did not have a room on arrival. A couple of people had money stolen from their rooms. Each room had a free safe so why didnt they use it?
Beaches were clean not very good for making sandcastles but it was possible. The sea was beautiful and clear. It was wonderful to feed the fish.
The trips were great however as the only form of transport on the island was taxis you had to make your own way to the destination which was not pointed out untill you had paid for the trip. Hotel to San Miguel was $17 (USD). We were told that the taxis on the island have a monopoly over transport so this means FC have no control over this.
Given that there were problems for some we think if they paid 2 thousand pounds a day, some people would still find faults with their hotel. We also believe that come July all the problems would have been ironed out for the benifit of the guests who stay there then.
The layout of the hotel village we found was lovely and was spread around nicely. Around the hotel we found the iguanas lovely to watch and also the variety of wildlife, frogs, toads, crabs, birds even humming birds around the pool were facinating.

12  Thank Eastwood-expeditions
Reviewed 10 June 2008

My family and I have been going to the Allegro for the past four years. I have three kids and they have always loved being at the resort. Every year I have to drag them away Kicking and Screaming because they do not want to go home. We were very excited about our vacation this year because they Hotel was going to have a lot of up grades. Before I go any further let me say that I am a first club member and the staff at the first club could not have been any better. I would rate the entire first club team a perfect "10". I think that the thing we have always liked best about the Allegro is that Entertainment/Activites Staff. They always kept the day going with games and contest and just enteracting with the guest. They always enteracted with everyone. They always had music playing at the pool and always had two or three activies going. Well when we arrived and found that the entire staff had been replaced with the exception on Carlos we thought well we will just make the best of it. We got checked in at the first club and were in our rooms shortly after. We then hit the beach for some fun in the sun. Well the first two days was cloudy and rained off and on but that did not stop us. We got to the beach and found that there was not volly ball being played. We also found that on that end of the beach they had a white rope and that area is topless. I was not happy with that change because I have three kids and this has always been a family resort and did not allow topless on the complex. So we moved to the far end of the beach. No planned activies for the day that I saw. Then I was told that the activies pool would close for repairs and it stayed closed. My son went to check out the volly ball and was told that he needed to leave a $10 deposit this was also new. Then he was told that they can not find the ball. This new staff is all from England and they enteract but, only with the people from England. Shortly after my son asked for the volly ball a small by from England went and asked for the ball and it was given to him. He got the ball to kick it not to play volly ball. The night shows that we always loved had changed also. The main show has been pushed back to 10pm. The kids show is at 8pm and what they call enteraction is at 9pm. The 9pm show is call game show. Well that is a trivia type questions. Now the people from England had fun because all the question are based on there TV shows and things from there country. The show was no longer for everyone they now take care of the English first and that was about it. Carlos was still his same fun loving self and he enteracts well with everyone. I did get a chance to play water polo one day and the battel was on between our team and Carlos team. We had a blast until I guess the Manager of the Activies scolded Carlos and told him not to take the ball away from anyone. Well that is half the fun. After that who wants to play. I could hear this man telling Carlos that is not what the guest wants. I told him that is what the guest wants. We want to have fun and that is part of it. The new staff or at least some of them came from a Cruise Ship and that may be how it is done on a boat but not how it is done in Mexico. Every person that I met from America had been stay at the Allegro for several years. They all said this would be there last year. The Allegro or "Holiday Village" needs to wake up and convert back or they are going to lose all the Americans that have kept them going for so long. The hotel itself has not changed the rooms are the same the food is the same they did add a water park with some slides but they close them at 5 when the life gaurd leave. I will check back with them before I plan my next trip and if it is the same I will not stay again. If you have already booked your trip just try and make the best of it. Plan some activies away from the resort because they do not do any there during the day.

Date of stay: June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RickRam85