“Excellent & Polite Staff, but the place has bed bugs!”

El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed at El Cozumeleno for two weeks. Friendly staff, buffet food just ok. Restaurant food is excellent, but have to make reservations. Beautiful location on the beach. EXCELLENT dive shop. My only complaint is the bed bugs! My legs/feet were attacked every night, thought it was mosquito bites, but realized later it was bed bugs! I then looked at everyone's legs, and noticed red bite marks on their legs/feet too. The older part of the resort has larger rooms. Besides for the bed bugs, it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank gbriston

Reviewed 4 January 2010

Me and my family (includes 6 year old daughter & 2 year old son) checked in on Saturday 12/26 thinking we would have a fabulous time and ended up in a horrific accident on Monday 12/28. My two year old son fell down from the second floor's game room right through the rails, it happened in a split second, the rails in the game room are about 13 inches wide. The hotel cleaning staff was more helpful than the actual management, ambulance took an eternity to arrive, my son's injury were life threatning once he was examined at Cozumel's clinic as they have no hospital he suffered from a fracture skull and some blood hemorraging, he had to be transported to the United States as if this worsen they could do nothing at the clinic, not once did the staff at hotel come and check on our son! This was so unacceptable!! My insurance handled a private medical plane to transport my son to the closest US hospital in San Antonio TX, we almost lost our son, my son is in stable condition, I don't know the laws in Mexico to Sue them but I do not recommend to young children, this could've been avoided if they had the proper rail's in the game room. The only person who stood out during those two days was Noemi she was our server in the pool area, the cleaning staff was amazing but the management is a different story. I can be contacted at mcamarena1209@msn.com if you need further info on this hotel. I am just blessed my son is alive!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank MariaChicago_IL
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I was sorely disappointed with the overall quality of this 'elegant' resort, but especially the room. I insisted on being moved the first night, which was a battle. Each day, the 'new linens' were ripped and stained, and I am not one to usually request a change when traveling solo. On the third day of what felt like an overpriced, short vacation, I reluctantly brought this to the attention of the new guest service rep, who was swamped, being the only staff for these issues. By the middle of the day she sent a housekeeping supervisor up, who I could not properly address the issue with, since she spoke less English than I spoke Spanish. I had to insist the rep come up, and housekeeping continued to make excuses, mostly citing humidity for the mold on bathroom walls!! I had to pick my battles, but by that evening, I asked for another linen change, since the 'newer' ones were also stained and ripped!! To me, this is totally irresponsible and unacceptable. I went next door to look at Mel Solia and wished I was staying there.
Sadly this big hotel is dingy and the food was merely ok, with canned fruits at times in the buffet!!
I would not recommend this place to anyone, unless you just want free booze. The tiny beach was pretty rough and horribly littered on either side of the resort...such a shame, so many staff running around getting free drinks for folks by the pool in the morning hours, and as such maybe un-noticeably stained sheets at night!! The beach towels were great though!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank mina07
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I recently spent a week in Cozumel at the El Cozumeleno Beach Resort. The hotel is set on a beautiful beach with crystal clear water. It is an all inclusive resort and the food was wonderful. Especially the dinners at the hotel's fine dining restaurant. Had the best filet mignon ever! The staff go out of their way to please you. I have traveled to Cozumel many times - I do not hesitate to say that this was my best holiday and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rorotraveol
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Stayed at the El Coz from Dec 6-13 with a friend, and totally enjoyed it. I think we were there right at the tail end of down season, since activity at the resort noticeably picked up during the latter half of the week. Actually the first half was perfect for us, we really enjoyed the quiet and spaciousness, but it was far from overrun even with more people around. In general this seemed a pretty family-oriented resort, quite a few kids running around.

Rooms: Our room was on the 5th floor of the new (south) section and I found it attractive, clean and comfortable with a nice view over the pool and ocean, A/C & all plumbing worked great. Beds seemed really comfortable and not at all hard to me, but I admit I might not be the best judge, since I had my student futon for many years and got used to that.

Food: I wasn't expecting much, based on other reviews, but actually I thought the food was not bad. The buffet was usually ok, but the made-to-order food was quite good. During lunch there was sometimes a mobile station coming around, which we had a couple of times, and liked. We ate at Veranda twice, and enjoyed it a lot both times. After a couple of days, I found I'd be able to predict what I'd like at the buffet. I did find that I was going to the made-to-order food more than I normally do, but had no problem with that, it was tasty (especially the omelets). I didn't find the drinks watered down. We did give the bartenders the odd tip, and we found that after a while they learn your preferences; my friend, in particular, likes her drinks strong! Just ask for doubles/triples/etc, and there was no problem. Loved the ice cream, especially the lime! My advice would be not to plan to eat at the buffet during the hour or so after sunset, as the mosquitos are fairly active during this time. They settle down later in the evening though, and it's fine.

Service: Service was great. Pretty much all the staff we saw seemed very friendly and hardworking, there was always someone cleaning, polishing, offering to bring you a drink, etc. We did pass out some tips, but didn't see a difference in service when we weren't tipping.

Beach: This is really what we came to Cozumel for, and I was pleasantly surprised. After reading many reviews of the various Cozumel hotels, it seemed that this was the best bet for off-the-beach snorkeling among the package deal AI's, which is why we chose this hotel. But, I still wasn't sure if "good snorkeling" just meant that there were lots of fish hanging around the pier. There were, and they were fun to swim with, but there was lots else to see as well. The El Coz has a roped off swimming area which is reasonably large, and there's quite a bit to see inside it. Even better, after walking/swimming a ways down the coast to the south and then drifting back with the current, I found lots of interesting critters and some lovely living coral. Based on advice from another review, I brought an underwater flashlight and did some night snorkeling as well, which was kind of interesting; watch out for sea urchins though, they do come out at night! I think it's worth bringing your own equipment if you have it; although the dive shop does hand it out you're really only supposed to keep it for an hour at a time. I found an hour passes pretty fast, and my friend who borrowed hotel equipment was constantly late handing it back (although the dive shop was very nice about this!) All photos on this review were taken while snorkeling in front of the El Coz, or the area immediately south of it, just some of the critters I saw. North of the hotel (in front of Melia) isn't great for snorkeling, but we had fun playing in the waves on the one day when the surf was high. Since it is a good snorkeling area, there isn't a lot of sand in the water in front of the El Coz, but there's a nice small sandy area to wade in if you prefer to enter gradually. Out of the water there's lots of sand to lie on, with plenty of loungers and even hammocks. Although I'm more of an ocean than a pool person, I did swim in both the pools a few times, and enjoyed them; I'm a sucker for a nice bridge you can swim under (yeah, I know, I'm a little immature). I appreciated the fact that the pools were open until 11:00 pm, since I like an evening swim.

Although I generally like trying out new places, I expect I'll stay at the El Coz again next time I'm in Cozumel. I really enjoyed my stay there, enjoy the convenience of an AI, and I think for the AI's the snorkeling here can't be beat. It won't appeal to everyone, but for what I'm looking for, it's pretty much perfect.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends