US$115
US$146
US$120
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Amigos Hostel Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$20
Amaranto Bed and Breakfast(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$47
Beds Friends Hostel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$27
Hostelworld.com
  • Restaurant
US$262
US$201
US$23
Baldwin's Guest House Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$78
TripAdvisor
6,019 results
All reviewsnorth towerla verandafishnew towerindoor restaurantorder off the menupiano playerreservation restaurantsit down restaurantfancy restauranta la carte restaurantfajitasocean viewmake reservationsdive shopthe furybuffet food
Reviewed 16 February 2007

We have been back a week since our stay at the hotel and miss it very much. We loved it there. It was our first time staying at the Hotel and I must say, we enjoyed it very much.
We had read many reviews on the hotel over the last year, most were very good, but I do not understand the poor reviews.
The food was very good, we were full all the time.
We stayed in the North Tower, nice and big and did not smell anything moldy. We had a great view which we loved.
The staff are very hard workers, pleasing us all the time. Thanks
Nanci (at the front desk).
The beach was great, wear water shoes for sure.
Overall, it was a fantastic vacation, looking forward to going back there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank HollybellOntario
Reviewed 15 February 2007

Wow! What a great vacation at El Coz! I must say that after reading other reviews before we left, I was worried about the food and the service, but it turns out we had nothing to worry about. Every staff person made a point of making eye contact and greeting us each day. They were gracious hosts-always smiling and willing to help. I had read that if you want to make sure you get the room you want, you should email the resort directly. So, I did that a couple of weeks before we were due to arrive.Our room was in the new south tower on the 9th floor. The view was fantastic! The rooms are larger than the typical run of the house resort room and the maid kept it very clean for us. They say you don't have to tip, but we've found a dollar here and there makes a big difference in the service you receive and can go a long way in making your stay more enjoyable. There's an outside restaurant where you can eat almost any time. You can order off the menu or fill up at the buffet. Of course, you're not going to like everything, but there's plenty of variety. I was afraid the food might be too spicy for our tastes, but if anything we found a few entrees were a tad bit bland tasting. It was always fresh and we saw a staff person checking the food often for temp. levels which was quite reassuring. The fancy restaurtant was a real treat! You have to sign up early in the day if you're picky about the time you want to eat. There's quite a variety of foods on the menu and the four of us never had to eat the same thing twice unless we wanted to. The beef was outstanding which really surprised us since we're from Nebraska where we think we grow the best beef. The Maui Maui was superb and the shrimp steak was the best I've ever eaten. We used Apple Vacations to take this trip and we weren't disappointed. Ruben who is their rep. at the resort was there everyday and some days 10-12 hours. If he couldn't answer our questions, he found someone who could. We had a bad experience on the Pirate Ship Dinner Cruise we took due to the weather. When we told Ruben what happened, he said, "If you're not happy, we're not happy." He talked to his supervisor and we had about 50% of our money refunded. We've had great experiences with both Apple and FunJet trips. We rented a car right there at the resort with no problems. We did snorkel several times right in front of the resort and enjoyed it. The waters are calm and the reef just to the south of the resort had quite a variety of fish. We took a snorkel trip to Columbia and San Fransico Reefs, but didn't see nearly the variety or number of fish we expected. The same with Chankaanab Park. The best snorkeling we had was free and we found it quite by accident on our day trip around the island. It's called Playa Corona. It's a small, quaint outdoor restaurant & bar with easy access to the calm, shallow water. We saw so many fish up close and personal. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank reweed
Reviewed 15 February 2007

First off, I want to say how this was our 3rd stay at El Coz and once again we loved it. I did get a good laugh out of a recent review from a traveler stating that if you are a seasoned traveler "stay away" and that only people who don't travel much would write a good review about this hotel. I consider us to be very seasoned travelers, after spending vacations in other Mexican desinations, Hawaii, Jamiaca and Aruba, we still always book our vacations to be in Cozumel at El Cozumeleno. My parents, who always have a review on here, are incredible seasoned travelers and have traveled all over the world, and they still love El Cozumeleno.

My feeling is that you get out of your vacation what you put in to it. That does not mean that you need to put a lot in to it, but every time we go anywhere, we get amazing service and treat all personnel very well, as should be the case. The food was the best that we have seen at the hotel, and we did try the indoor restuarant twice. Our first time was a little slow, but the second time with our waiter WIlbur, was amazing. It was better than service we have had back in the US. We knew exactly what to order so that we did not struggle with our meals and the knives not being very sharp.

Yes, the drinks are not that strong, but my thought on that is that when we saw people ordering the doubles and even adding additional shots, they became very loud and obnoxious. What an unfortunate experience for my kids and myself to see some girls become "girls gone wild" right in front of us, and to see a group of gilrs lay on the pool bar and do a body shot. That would be why the drinks are watered down. I don't come on vacation to get drunk, I come to sip the foo foo drinks and relax.

The hotel staff was so friendly, always talking to us and treating my kids so nice. The room was always cleaned right away in the morning and the maid would make such wonderful animal creations with the towels.

My husband did do a beach dive through the hotel, and loved it. It was his third vacation where he took the pool lessons, but the first time that his sinuses were not bothering him, so ho went diving.

My family also loved snorkeling in the ocean near the pier, the fish were amazing and there were so many of them.

We do not like to pay thousands of dollars for our vacations, so for the little price that we paid for our vacation, it was a great place to stay and I have always reccommended it to all our friends and family. My parents have stayed here many times, and they reccommened it to us and we have always come back. Last year, we did try Cancun because Cozumel was still pretty devastated from Hurricane Wilma. I would not go back to Cancun for another visit, it is way to Americanized and it is just not Cozumel.

Anyone who travels to Cozumel and stays at El Cozumeleno, will love it. It is not the Ritz Carlton, but I wouldn't stay at an overpriced Ritz Carlton anyway. I just want a nice, fun and safe place to vacation with my husband and kids, and we have always found that at El Coz.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
19  Thank Familytimealways
Reviewed 12 February 2007

Folks, this is one hotel where you get what you pay for. It is an average hotel with average service. The views from the rooms are what makes this hotel. Starting out on the 2nd floor, I had to bribe my way to the 8th floor, and was it worth it . AWESOME. We have traveled around the Carribean (about 15 all-inclusives). And if you do not know what is out there you will write a good review of this hotel, maybe even a very good review. If you are a seasoned traveler DO NOT STAY HERE! You will be disappointed. Spend the extra $, you will be glad you did. Some of the workers were very pleasant, and some acted like we were a bother to them. The sewer over-flowed into the pool last Wed. 2-07-07, and the hotel did not put out any signs to let vacationers know what had happened. The pool is 3 teered, the upper 2 pools were fine. The bottom one had a brown ring around it for 2 days and no signs were put up, I heard of one child getting pretty sick. The kids service (room) toliets backed up as well as the scuba shops, it was a mess. We drove to the other side of the island and had a wonderful day. My son met a kid from Minn. and played most of the week. It is kid friendly. Do not scuba at the hotel, what a joke. They rent you equipment and ship you off 20 miles away to dive. It cost a little more to book in the lobby, but the boats pick you up at the hotel. Like everything here you get what you pay for. You are paying a wal-mart, k-mart price for this hotel and thats what you get. The reviews were pretty much right on. The people who complained have traveled before, and the people who liked this resort have not traveled as much. LOTS OF SUNSHINE AND GOOD MARGARITAS!

From Michigan...GO STATE!

Stayed: February 2007
11  Thank chairman16
Reviewed 12 February 2007

This was our 8th stay at El Cozumeleno since 1994. We have always been impressed with the facilities and service, but found this year to be even better than before. Everything has been taken to the next level. The length of the buffets have all increased by 50%. There are many more servers at the pool and beach bar, which means no long lines to get drinks. Even the egg carton mattress pads allowed me an extra 30 minutes of sleep each night.

In the past, my wife and I would always order lunch from the menu, but found the luncheon buffet so good this year that we never ordered lunch. We were a bit disappointed in the indoor (reservation only) service, as they seem to need a few more wait staff. Also, as stated in a previous review, getting a glass of chardonnay for dinner should not require buying a bottle of wine.

I want to extend a special thank you to Erwin (Activities Director) and Roque (Medical Staff) for their involvement during our stay, even though we did not require their assistance personally. We were the Minnesota couple that found Mary and Robert on the beach after Mary's fall. Erwin and Roque ran 300 meters to assist her and were very capable in their duties. Mary's injury seemed quite extreme as she sat in a pool of blood.

Later in the week, one of our group also required medical attention and once again Roque and the hotel staff came to the rescue. They moved our friend to a shaded area, provided an oxygen tank, called the hospital, arranged for a doctor and also transportation to town. This should make anybody with health concerns feel more at ease.

We did find the pool music and announcements quite loud at times, but we still sat in that area. The staff would turn down the music when asked.

The sunset cruise was awesome. Seing Cozumel from the sea, reggae and caribbean music, the fire show on board, being right next to the cruise ships and drinking free beer, PRICELESS! Even though we planned to tip the cruise crew, we felt pressured to tip generously. Otherwise, it was a great experience.

Thanks again to the entire hotel staff. Even Jose and Fredrico the bell men. We will return!

Fred and Libby