“They should be ashamed”

Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
San Leandro
“They should be ashamed”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We have been to Isla many times over 20 years. We love the location (Playa Norte) on Isla's finest beach, and near enough for an easy walk to town. Usually we stay at Na Balam (our favorite hotel on the island), but they had been booked when I was scheduling the trip. So, I reserved online at Cabanas Maria Del Mar. What a rip off. First off, they told us nothing when we checked in, such as, you must pay to sit on their beach (not just rent chairs - they've got a sign on the beach saying they'll charge you regardless), or even the good stuff: a continental breakfast included. Worse, they misrepresented the policy of the neighboring hotel, stating theycharge for chairs as well (the neighbor hotel does not charge their guests to sit down). After 2 days, we were able to move to another hotel. At checkout the shakedown started in earnest. First they charged us for an extra night for changing our reservation. Then....get this, they said they would not apply the one night's deposit I paid with the reservation claiming the travel agent "keeps that". So, we ended up paying the cost of four nights for two nights. I will dispute the rapacious overcharging with my credit card company when we return, but for now just want to warn others.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank KathySanLeandro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My family and I stayed at Maria Del Mar and enjoyed ourselves. I really wish they didn't charge for chairs and towels. I think it could easily be included in the price of the room.
The continental breakfast is fine for any early start. We have been to this lovely island many times and know of alot of places to eat. The desk staff is mostly OK. Clara the manager helped us and she is awesome.
The location is perfect. The gardens are perfect.
We will be back to Isla.

Room Tip: beds are better than the past. new mattress pads. love the sheets hung out to dry.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Linda H
Toronto
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This is what it is - a three star hotel :-) The room in the new part was clean but very hospital-like. They give you only one towel per person (a big one - no small ones for face/hands) and another one as a bath mat. Beach towels are available but you have to make a deposit and sign them off at the end i.e. if you lose one they take money away from you. The breakfast is 'continental' - just bread, butter, peanut butter and strawberry jam. The positive side is the location, next to the beach Playa Norte. We didn't get the TV set until 2 days before our departure and when we asked if we can check out 15 minutes later they said 'no', which I found a bit weird. We asked for higher floor prior to arriving and they said they never received the request and have placed us on the ground floor. On the grand scheme of things we just used it to sleep and the bed was very large and very comfortable - so the hotel fit our purpose and we have no regrets. Isla Mujeres itself is lovely and we think the hotel was quite adequate for this trip

Room Tip: we heard the a/c in the old part are noisy; ours in the new part of the hotel was not.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Nova Gorica, Slovenia
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Hotel is worn out and doesn't meet even minimum price/perfomance standards.

The bathroom is so small you can barely turn around.

No internet in the rooms.

You have to pay extra for beach towels and many other things that are free in other hotels of the same category.

They just have sort of good position and they try to rip you off for everything. They rented a restaurant on the beach which lies across the street and down the road and they claim the hotel lies directly on the beach. Yes if you walk through some palm grove which doesn't belong to them then you can say that.

It would be better not to include breakfast in the price as it so miserable that it isn't worth mentioning. I understand continental but two small pieces of toast and one jam and butter just meet the minimum criteria of continental in my opinion. I said I am going to pay extra for a better one and they said I have to pay the whole amount. Stupid and unprofessional again.

When I asked for extension of my stay I was told to come in the morning because they can't do it at the moment. The price printed at reception went up 100 % overnight. I understand it was high season but anyway even when I asked to give me at least the same rate as it was published on internet they refused. And they have to pay commission to online website also so I found that totally unprofessional and even stupid as they would get more money still.

So I decided to find something else after the extension issue and 200 m from there I got the whole apartment with kitchen in the private run posada which was at the same level for 35 bucks instead of 120 USD. There was no pool but who cares for the poll unless you have small children. And even then the sea is so calm and shallow you really don't need one. They had wireless internet for free. Posada had no complimetary toiletries but I rarely use them in the hotels as they are low cost products that harm instead of nourish your skin. And it lies 200 m further from the beach.

The lady that runs that hotel emits really bad energy. You can feel it when she looks at you.

There are many much better and/or cheaper places in the island. Just walk around and you can find something cool even in high season. The deluxe one bedroom apartment is 700 USD per month in high season and 500 in low!!!

It could be a really nice place if the owner changes the management.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Borut B

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed here at the beginning of what was to be high season. It was still very quiet and the staff were friendly, not fast, but welcoming. It was clean and right on the beach. The pool was a nice place to be when it was windy on the beach, which was quite a lot. Over all, we liked our stay and would be happy to return again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple