Zina's Guest House
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres(Isla Mujeres)
US$430
US$608
Privilege Aluxes(Isla Mujeres)
US$260
US$199
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$63
  • Breakfast included
Ixchel Beach Hotel(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
US$364
US$220
Official Hotel
Nautibeach Condos(Isla Mujeres)
US$245
US$144
Isla Mujeres Palace(Isla Mujeres)
US$570
US$498
Izla Hotel(Isla Mujeres)
US$185
US$176
Hotels.com
Casa de los Suenos(Isla Mujeres)
US$269
US$229
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi(Isla Mujeres)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$77
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We originally had reservations to stay at an apartment mid-island, but unfortunately there was a booking mistake and our apartment was not available. The owner checked around to find us another place to stay and we were told that there was space available at Zina's Guest House. Because of the fact that it was high season and we were looking for last minute accommodations, we decided that we would give it a try.

To begin with, Zina was most hospitable. There was fresh bread and some supplies in the fridge (a few cold beers, ham and cheese) which I felt was a very nice touch. In looking at the website, it sounds like an ideal place to stay. Unfortunately it did not turn out that way. The apartment itself is quite run down. The website talks about "luxurious Egyptian cotton sheets". The sheets on the double bed were indeed Egyptian cotton, although probably 10 years old and had seen much better days. When the sheets were changed after 7 days, the next ones were labeled "Polyester - made in Pakistan". The second bed in the room, a twin bed, had no sheets on it when we arrived. I found one sheet in a box in the kitchen and put it on the bed myself.

The bedroom has 3 windows. Two of the windows have heavy curtains, but the third window, the largest one, has only a nylon cafe curtain which provided no privacy at night once the bedroom light was on. None of the window locks worked and there were no screens on any windows. The website indicates there is cable TV available. There was a TV in the room, but we were told there was no cable, so TV did not work. We were told not to use the air conditioner any more than necessary. We decided to turn it on the second night we were there to hopefully drown out some of the noise. It certainly did as the AC sounded like a 747 about to take off. So the choice was either listen to constant dogs barking, traffic and music, plus the noise coming from a local bar about 2 blocks away which went on until 4 or 5 in the morning, or the loud AC.

The kitchen is very small and poorly lit. There were several electric applicances but little countertop room to use them. The dishes and silverware were in need of replacement. Most of the dishes had been damaged by overuse in the microwave.
There is a small window in the kitchen which looks down into the courtyard of the house next door. These people have 2 dogs, both of whom stay on the patio all night. When they bark, and they both bark very, very often, the sound bounces off all those surrounding cement walls.

The bathroom has no door (just a shower curtain hanging across the doorframe) and measures approximately 4' x 5'. There is a very small window, which cannot be opened because there is no handle. Therefore there is no ventilation in the bathroom, which as I mentioned, has no door and opens directly into the kitchen. Not a good thing. When you are sitting on the toilet, your feet are actually in the shower stall. There is no stopper in the sink and no electrical outlets at all.

After being there for 4 nights and neither of us getting any sleep because of all the noise, I informed the owner that we were not satisfied with the accommodations, needed our rest and wished to leave and wanted our remaining money refunded. Her reaction was to tell me that she could not give us our money back, but we could leave if we wanted to.

After a few more days we were informed by the owner that she had gotten some money so that we could leave. Her first offer was for $100.00 less than what was owed. I told her that was not acceptable and she then said she had the other $100.00. We left the following day.

I think Zina has come up with what she considers a great marketing strategy. On her website she talks about "having a true cultural experience in the colonia" which in reality translates to staying in a run down apartment in a very noisy neighborhood and having to deal with a difficult person.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mimsNewYork
Viajera002, Owner at Zina's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Yes, these people caught us at a bad time in a week in which we did not want to rent at all because of problems. But as a favor to a friend who overbooked them, I agreed to take them. At the time, a cock righting rooster breeding ring had just been broken up across the street by neighbothood efforts.
During their stay, I called the police on dog fighting across the street. There was a new padlock installed and these people went about not locking it. The neighbor who I reported to police was fighting two dogs at 3am., opened the gate and poisoned my dog, costing me $300US to save her. Why did did not want to rent that week: Previous renters had taken all but 2 worn single sheets off property to use at the beach and apparently left them. We were still inventorying losses and making the list to replace damaged items. It was Semana Santa, where nothing is Holy here, including resurrection of dog fighting, which is illegal here and was stopped. It was my glee at unanticipated cash flow that caused me to accept there people's up front money in the first place, which immediately went to the plumber electrician and to Cancun for replacemet supplies. I could produce a refund until a friend offered me money after hearing I was being bad mouthed in town. More linens are being replaced, I am happy to say and dinnerware is being updated.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I spent almost a month at Zina's. I loved the little apartment and roof patio, where I would have my morning coffee and watch the world of la gloria going on around me.
The apartment was clean and welcoming when I arrived. There were basic provisions in the kitchen, cold beer, milk, and condiments. Coffee and tea were also provided. Books, magazines and wireless. Toward the end of my stay a friend joined me, and we moved the single bed into the 2nd room to give us both some privacy. The pictures on the website don't really show how big the apartment is. It looks like a studio, but is actually 2 large rooms. We were sorry to leave. Every morning I would walk through the park across the street to the municipal market for my daily litre bottle of fresh orange juice, (25 pesos), and a freshly made panucho or salute,hand made corn tortillas with chicken, avocado, red onion, beans, cream and salsa (10 pesos). Then buy mangos, papaya, bananas and vegetables.The local bus goes right by Zina's, 5 pesos takes you right into centro where the tourist action is if you want it. I would often walk to playa lancheros, a nearby beach with calm water and a restaurant. took me about 10 minutes. Zina took me around on the golf cart and pointed out the best places for food, juice, haircuts, you name it. I had no problem sleeping.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank brooklynhappyhour
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I've put off writing this review for a while, mostly in deference to Zina herself, who is a nice person, but since I picked Zina's based on the previous, glowing reviews here on Tripadvisor, I thought maybe a more balanced picture was due. I'll preface this by saying that I have traveled to various parts of Mexico, including Isla, many times with my Mexican husband. We are NOT travel snobs by any means and have stayed in all sorts of accomodations in our lives, from India to Puebla. We've done mission work in jungly, bug-infested places. My husband grew up sleeping on a matate on a dirt floor inside a bamboo hut! In other words, this isn't being written from the perspective of people used to the Hilton (or whathaveyou). With that out of the way, I have to say that Zina's was a disappointment for us. We were scheduled to stay a little over a week but cut our stay at three nights, at which time we moved to the stunning (and reasonable) Hotel La Joya. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but Zina's is run-down in general and not as clean as it should be (and that's being generous). I also had trouble sleeping here (and I never have this issue). We stayed in the upstairs apartment, and there's a very bright streelight that shines right in the window by the bed that Zina's sheer curtains don't do a thing to block. Maybe if I was in my early 20s and backpacking, I wouldn't care about these sorts of things in exchange for an "authentic" experience in a colonia, but now that I am in my 30s and was traveling with my four year-old son and 70 year-old father (whose apartment downstairs smelled ATROCIOUS- we're guessing it was the leftover smell from bug fumigation as the apartments were full of ants... and a giant cockroach or two), my standards are slightly higher. I can also see how if one wasn't used to Mexico or didn't speak Spanish that staying with Zina would be helpful in that she is a willing guide, but for us, it was just a bit too much and a little overbearing. So our trip started out poorly but ended wonderfully after the move. This just wasn't for us. The best parts? It's cheap. And there's a great lady across the street who cuts hair. Both my husband and my son got excellent haircuts for around $5 each.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank lacolibri
Viajera002, Owner at Zina's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

I am more than disappointed with this review. It is written more than nine months after the stay. During this time, black out curtains arrived by courier from the US and were installed, the bedroom was rearranged to place the main bed further from the window, beds were replaced and most importantly of all for sleep, I worked with the municipal authorities to look at laws on the books to deal with the rooster issue.
It turned out to be an illegal cock-fighting breeding operation that was disbanded without issue - much to the chagrin of authorities who though rooster frighting had been eradicated. This operation was finally out of business the first of the year.
On the issue of cleanliness, I also take exception. Ants were mentioned. The family stayed here as a storm as brewing and ants native to this area are used by residents to forecast rains. The women at the Mexican Navy Officers Wives' Club had quite a discussion about that ant problem that week! The rains came as they forecast and they disappeared without issue.
The property is located on an island offshore to the jungles surrounding Cancun. We used as little insecticide as possible for the health of residents since cock roaches will always be here and there was a young child involved and another on the way in this family. So whatever odor they thought they smelled in the widowed father's suite wasn't insecticide, but perhaps a strong pine cleaner that I also find offensive and don't permit to be used any longer.
The entire family spent their arrival afternoon in the rooftop dipping pool and announced two days later that their 4 year old deserved to be on the beach. That is something I suggest they should have thought about before booking into a neighborhood. Since the husband lived in Mexico until he was 16, those memories the wife wasn't party to might have been the reason they fled to a remote seaside location just as much as the now irrelevant roosters, etc..

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have been to Isla before, always staying on the North Beach. This time I was looking for a bit of a change and decided to head South Colonial de la Gloria; a quaint and very authentic Mexican community on the Island. I rented one of Zina's Bikes and was a 20 minute bike ride from the North Beach and 10 minutes from the South tip of the Island. The apartment was huge, very clean with a kitchenette and the best part... it comes with rooftop deck, which I had to myself as the downstairs suite was not rented. Zina knows the Island and the goings on by the back of her hand. Zina is very sociable and connected with life on the Island; she is a great resource to anyone wanting to get familiar with all parts of the Island. There is great food in the area, with many smaller Mexican "eateries". I had an excellent skewer of Prawns at one of the eateries on my first night on the Island. There is a Supermarket 3 blocks away, and another huge Super 5 minutes bike ride away. In the Mercado Municipal, you will find an artisan that will sell you handmade leather sandals (Chanclas) for about $13. Great quality, tiny price! As far as the apartment deal goes, it is a fantastic value to have the deck and a kitchen for $50. Zina's dog, Punta, is adorable. You will love her!!! I would highly recommend Zina's as a great value and a great place to stay. I would recommend renting one of the bikes and getting to know the Island by bike. Thanks for everything Zina!

Room Tip: Take the upstairs suite off the Deck if available.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Copado
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This is our third time to stay at Zinas Guest House in the past twelve months and we would not even think about staying anywhere else.

Zina and her sidekick Punta (the house dog) are knowlegable and welcoming hosts and her guest houses are perfectly located right in the middle of the bustling neighborhood of La Gloria. Everything you need is within walking distance -fresh squeezed juice, fresh fruit from the Mayan vendors, the best chicken tacos from the neighborhood "greasy spoon" and less traveled beaches. If any essentials are forgotten, there's a supermarket two blocks away that will most likely have what's in need.

My advice to anyone staying at Zinas is to not sleep late because when you hear the faint chant of "tamales tamales" in the morning sounds, that's the cue to grab your pesos. This local guy has some of the best tamales that have ever been made.

If the daily schedule involves going into downtown, taxis swing by the front corner every few minutes and for a easy fee it's the best way to get around the rock.

We can't wait until the next trip to isla not only to immerse ourselves in the culture of the island but to also stay at Zinas, where we are treated like family.

• Stayed: May 2012