“Seek out Royal Hideaway”

Ranked #35 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Went to Royal Hideaway for a friends wedding weekend. Overall, an amazing trip and a great resort that I would recommend to anyone seeking a quiet, relaxing all-inclusive resort with a fantastic staff and a gorgeous beach. I'll break down the pros and cons.

PROS:
- Guests are greeted by Bellhop who escorts you into lobby and brings you a hot towel and a glass of champagne.
-Incredibly accommodating and friendly staff. In particular,Alex, the Activities Director, who served ice cream from a cart poolside and greeted everyone with a smile and suggestion of activities for the day. (I recommend Ocean Kayaking.)
- Hotel grounds, restaurants and rooms are immaculate
- Sumptuous bathrooms with jacuzzi tub, separate shower, marble vanity with double sinks
-Instead of one large hotel building, rooms are divided into three story villas, with about 12 rooms and a concierge for each villa.
-Beautiful, pristine white sand beach
- Two large pools, a smaller "quiet" pool, three hot tubs. Fantastic.
- All inclusive aspect makes it much easier to relax and not worry about having your wallet or how much anything costs. You can swill champagne and order room service guilt free!
- No kids, teenagers or anyone else loud or annoying. Except at the resort next door.

CONS
-Food is good, but not great. I would be inclined to call it "faux gourmet"
-Our room was located on the edge of the hotel property, overlooking a fence and a large black tarp hung in the hotel grounds next door.
- Pillows were very small. I expected king size pillows for the king size bed.
- The Dinner Show offered by the hotel is a second rate Cirque du Soleil meets a dance review. Not worth your time.
-Hotel grounds/landscaping feels a bit contrived. They have the feel of a Disney Hotel, not a 5 star resort. (Gazebo surrounded by man made pond.)

Room Tip: Villa 31 is very close to beach, pools, bar and restaurant, but still pretty quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank ATallDrink
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear ATallDrink,

Thank you for your detailed review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the grounds, restaurants and beautiful beach.

It is also great to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations. I will share your comments with them, especially with Alex. Thank you for recognizing him. I would like to point out that we do host teenagers from time to time as our age limit is 13 years and above.

We are concerned by your comments about our food. I will share them with our Executive Chef. Also, your comments about our dinner show Club Royale will be reviewed by Alex, our Entertainment Manager. We are sorry that your room did have the view that you expected. For advance room requests please contact us at services@mx.occidentalhotels.com. In addition, our rooms division manager will take immediate actions on your comments about the pillows. We are sorry that you felt them to be uncomfortable.

We hope we will see you again!

Royal Hideaway Playacar

Write a ReviewReviews (4,598)

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Ok so if you are like me you read through reviews on trip advisor and sort though the good bad and the ugly. You also "relate" and agree with people from your area in the country. I am from PA. We have had a wonderful winter..so the weather in Mexico is a bonus.

My husband and I travel to Mexico at least 20 times per year on casual mini vacations.

The bad about this resort..... I feel so inclined to write this review... It was 7:15am when I arrived at the pool area to lay in the beautiful Sun. There was 2 other people at the pool (hey have 2 side by side pools..one heated and one not). There about 75-80 chairs here. However all but 6 chairs have books, magazines, lotions, and other personal belongings on them.... Are you serious it's 7:15am? So if I wanted to sleep in today that would be a NO CHAIR situation. Seriously? I am on vacation. I don't want to get up early... I want to relax and maybe come to the pool at 10am.. Well I guess I would need to go to the extremely noisy resort next door.....I THINK MANAGEMENT needs to fix this problem. It isn't fair to guests at hotel (especially if you are not a beach person like me)

Checking in was also not good. We arrived at 2:30 only to be told our room would not be ready until 5pm? Really. I just left a bad resort (I will write another review for that resort explaining why)

Food is good
Service is GREAT
Drinks are good (you name it thy have it...and they aren't afraid o pour you a good drink... Just ask)

We like to tip on vacation when we recieve great service. We did not tip last night at our 10:30pm Italian reservation because the service was poor and slow ( I had to ask for water 3 times and we had to wait for 15 minutes to order even though there were only 3 tables...why make people wait until 10:30 at night to eat hen you have so many open tables???)

The waitstaff and bartenders at pool and late night area work very hard to please you!!

Rooms and resort is very outdated. VERY VERY outdated

The bed is extremely uncomfortable and what they call pillows is simply a small square with a pillow case on it

On another note the beach has been fixed and is beautiful. The Mexican government did their part to fix it!!!

Oh yeah if you order room service you I'll need to eat it on your bed... There is no where else to eat in the room

I would recommend anothe resort such as GrAnd Velas or LeBlanc. This place is not what it used to be 3,5, or 8 years ago!!

Ps. I just saw 2 more people but they took the last 2 chairs here poolside and left!!! Lol

Room Tip: If you can upgrade And afford a junior suite or presidential DO IT
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
21  Thank ilovetoeatoutpa
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Dear ilovetoeatoutpa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy that you enjoyed the food, drinks, beach and service. However, we are deeply concerned by some of the comments in your review.

Concerning the chairs at the pool, we know that this is a prime location and our pool concierges remove all belongings after a sun chair has been unoccupied for more than 30 minutes. Nevertheless, I will share your comments with our management team so they can improve the system. Also, I will share your experience at the Italian Restaurant with our Food & Beverage Manager so that this incident will not happen again. We will also consider your comments about room service. Please know that our rooms have been recently updated with new desks where it is possible to sit and eat. Also we added Flat Screen TV’s and iPod docking stations to our rooms.

We are saddened by the bad experience you had at check in. It is a standard that the rooms are ready no later than 3 pm and I will forward your comments to our Front Desk Manager so he can look into this matter. Also, we are sorry that you found our mattresses and pillows to be uncomfortable. Our rooms division manager will take care of this immediately.

We really appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve. Please contact us at services@mx.occidentalhotels.com if you would like to share any additional feedback.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Great location, food and service. Georgous rooms, beach and landscaping. Reminded me of the Four Seasons in Santa Barbara, CA. I would reccomend for couples and romantic retreats or those looking to relax in a serene paradise.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank BadgerLV

Dear BadgerLV,

Thank you for your post. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the beautiful grounds, food and great service.

Thank you for recommending us!

We hope to see you back soon in paradise.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Royal Hideaway was such a delight. Went there celebrating my
daughter's 40...yes I am 63!!!! But they loved it too! Jan stay for 4 nights
Weather was not so good, but Alex was the best!!!! He brought us warm towels to the beach when all we wanted to do was sit even thou it was a rainy day. We hovered under the sun covers...soooo nice...supposed to protect you from the hot sun, but we stayed for the rain.
He was the best hurrying around to make sure everyone was happy and content. Our neighbors had a wedding and I watched him run to set up volleyball and everything they wanted. A wonderful help to us!!
Food is very good. We went to all the restaurants while there. The Sat night dinner/play was the not so good, but the Grill was very tasty. Especially enjoyed the afternoon tea with wine and small sandwiches while we waited for everyone to arrive. Our room was also wonderful. Choose building 27 is you want to be fairly close to the pool, beach, and grill, but not on top of them with the noise. Nice quiet deck on the second floor. ( all building are only 3 stories high). Very colorful grounds with windy paths. I was shocked when I walked the beach not realizing there were other all inclusive hotels nearby since this one was so quiet and serene. No kids is a great idea! Room was clean and sheets changed each day. My daughters loved the bubble baths...So fun and a great place to celebrate. Only downside was hard to get into all the restaurants as we arrived late and could only get a very late booking...but we ate in the room enjoying a movie...so it was ok, but I advise to book early.

Room Tip: choose bldg 27 second floor....someone else recommended it to us and we very much agreed...good loca...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank nanosgy

Dear nanosgy,

Thank you for your sharing your comments. It is always a pleasure to hear that we made you have a wonderful vacation, despite the bad weather. What a bad luck!

I will share your comments with Alex and he will be so happy that you recognized him!

You are right, our afternoon tea time indeed is a delight. We are sorry that you did not like the Club Royale dinner show. I will forward the comments to our Entertainment Manager as well as our Executive Chef so they can look into this matter.

Thank you for pointing out the special room request. This can be done by contacting us prior to your arrival at services@mx.occidentalhotels.com. Also it is my pleasure to assist with your advanced dinner reservations.

We hope to also host your next stay!

Best regards

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Royal Hideaway Playacar is a luxury all-inclusive resort on Mexico’s Riviera Maya. It is also the first resort of its kind to receive the AAA Five-Diamond Award, and it’s easy to see why when you step onto the property. Upon arrival, champagne & relaxation begin to flow. We were greeted with a cool fresh scented hand towel and a bubbling glass of champagne. There is no registration desk. We simply were invited to sit on a couch, relax, and enjoy our champagne, while the staff checked us in. As I looked around the lobby I was reminded again why this is one of my favorite hotels. It’s full of classic ambiance, gorgeous flower arrangements, chandeliers, marble floors, and beautiful oil paintings, this not like any other hotel in Mexico.
The rooms were laid out in two-story colonial Mexican-style villas, each with a private concierge (who can assist with other services, such as dinner reservations, tours, cultural excursions, deep-sea fishing, golf, private tennis lessons, motorized water sports, spa and salon services, car rentals, laundry and dry cleaning and more.) All rooms had a complimentary beer and soda minibar, Bvlgari toiletries, double marble sinks, a separate shower stall, whirlpool tub, Bose sound systems with iPod docks, LCD flat screen TV and large walk in closets with bathrobes.
There was plenty to do, or do nothing at all at this resort; With a fitness center, basketball, bocce ball, horseshoes, tennis, SCUBA lessons, sailing and cooking classes, kayaking, boogie boarding, windsurfing and aqua aerobics in the cascading infinity pool which overlooked the beach.
The beach never felt crowded and we never had a problem securing a beach bed. Waiters catered to us like we were royalty by the pool and on the beach. The service here was spectacular. At lunch time we would dine at The Deck, a casual bar and grill located right on the ocean. The menu had a huge variety of meals but our favorite always seem to be the chicken tenders with chipotle mayonnaise. At night there were 6 gourmet restaurants to choose from. All require reservations, are a la carte and have a dress code of casual elegance. The concierge will help you with the reservation and it’s my advice to make reservations for your entire stay shortly after arrival. For the foodies the Chef’s Table experience is accompanied by fine wine pairings and takes place in a private dining room with very limited seating. While this wonderful culinary experience is not included ($150 per person), it is truly worth it for those who love food and wine. They also offer 24 hour room service, which we were very thankful for after a night out at Coco Bongo Disco just a short cab ride away.
Royal Hideaway’s attention to detail and emphasis on customer service was apparent throughout our stay. If you’re looking for an all-inclusive property that truly delivers on luxury, Royal Hideaway is the ideal choice for you. Feel free to contact me with any question you may have.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank JacqueWhite

Dear JacqueWhite,

Thank you for your comments. We are so pleased to hear that you had a stunning vacation with us. The Royale Hideaway experience starts at check in as we love to treat our dear guests like royalty right from the beginning. Thank you for pointing out the personal villa concierge. They assist you throughout your whole stay and love to fulfill your wishes. For advance dinner, excursion or golf reservations please contact services@mx.occidentalhotels.com. Thank you also for mentioning our new iPod docking stations and LCD Flat screens.

I will share your comments with our Executive Chef and he will be so happy you enjoyed especially his chicken tenders. The Chef’s Table is indeed a unique experience. Please note that the price is $250 USD plus tax per person.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon!

Best regards