5,499 results
All reviews las ventanas the grill dinner reservations allegria bar villa concierge spices restaurant club royale deck restaurant dinner theater infinity pool chef's table other resorts walk in closet sax player our honeymoon all inclusive resort quiet resort
Reviewed 30 January 2004

We have travelled extensively, and found this to be an incredible hotel. The food is great, and the property is beautifully maintained.
What really makes this hotel though, is the staff. They really go the extra mile. They are extremely professional, and they are just wonderful in every way. They work very, very hard and need, deserve, and appreciate tips.

4  Thank Destination21893
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback regarding your recent holiday to the Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a great pleasure and very encouraging to read such positive comments.

Reviewed 26 January 2004

Absolutely the best all-inclusive resort .... When you stay at the Royal Hideaway you can do alot or nothing..Stunning white sands beaches ... great food ..lots of hideaway pools..very private The service is unbelievable also, you have your own conceirge that takes care of your every need. Don't go there for the golf its very expensive for a not so nice course. There is another course about 20 minutes away but very expensive $250. a round. Go there if you want the ultimate pampering. The spa was very small but ok. I heard they are expanding next year.

2  Thank LightPacker37131

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for share your wonderful experience about your stay with us, We appreciate the time you have taken out of your schedule to post a review.

Reviewed 26 January 2004

We just returned from 4 days at RH. This was our fifth trip to the area. We were traveling with 5 other couples to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. Let's start with the positives...1. By far the best food we've had in Mexico. 2. Excellent beach. 3. Concierge for each villa was very convenient. 4. The grounds were perfectly manicured. 5. The location is close enough to the town to allow for a cheap taxi or a reasonable walk. 6. Top shelf liquor and Heineken in cans. 7. Beautiful lobby and very easy check-in. Now the negatives...1. Rooms were sub par considering the cost of this hotel. 2. Service at pool and beach was slow and at times unreliable. 3. The pools were very mediocre. My pool at home has more character. 4. Zero nightlife...so sedate I felt like we were at a retirement village. 5. Getting seating at the restaurants was like hitting the lottery...we never got into the Italian. I wish I could blend this resort's food and beach location with the Aventura's spa, pools and disco. That would create the perfect resort. Fortunately such a resort already exists...it's the Melia Playa Conchel in Costa Rica. We're going back there next year. I think we'll give up on Cancun/ Playa for a while.

9  Thank russ0012

Dear Guest,

It is very encouraging to read such good comments about your stay. The team here work very hard to provide a consistently high service and are very proud of what this resort represents. They will be very encouraged by your comments, I will share with all of them.

Reviewed 25 January 2004

My wife and I stayed here on January 16, 2004.

One word of caution about the rooms; the exterior rooms facing west and into the Riu Playacar or the Wyndam are noisy at night. The DJ and crowd noise starts at about 9:15 and goes until about midnight.
Therefore, if you can get a room facing the interior courtyard of the Royal Hideaway then go for it.

The service at the hotel was exceptional. The staff are always friendly no matter if you tip them a few bucks or not. The only staff that I would recommend tipping are the beach front waiters, the bell boys and your concierge at the conclusion of your tip. The violinist and sax.
performers may be worthy as well.

The crowd varies from a few honeymooners to repeat guests. The resort is normally quiet, except for a few late night partiers. Also, the guests are mostly americans then canadians and a small amount of spanish speaking tourists, probably from mexico or central america.

The food quality is quite good, though the food temperature is not always piping hot. Also, the food can arrive quickly but you may wish to tell your very friendly waiter as to the pacing of your meal and he'll gladly oblige.

Many other reviewers have rated the restaurants and also chosen their favourites. The restaurants are all excellent in mexican standards and I would say above average in a big city north american rating. I would highly recommend the spanish soup in Spices (the name escapes me), the mahi-mahi wherever it is served (the beach grill also serves it as a great sandwich) and the cesar salad in Ventanas. Overall, I was very pleased with the Azia restaurant as my wife and I found the food tempertaure consistently hot, the quality excellent and the interior very intimate than the faux Italian luxe at Palazzo.

When you arrive for dinner at any of the restaurants, the host/hostess finds your reservation and then pulls out your pre-printed name tag that it placed on your table. The waiter then does his professionally polite introduction and calls you by Mr. or Mrs. In fact, most of the staff are trained to address the guests as Mr. or Mrs. but it is sometimes amusing if you and your significant other do not share the same surname.

Tip for golfers: The golf course at Playacar is a 2-3 minute walk away.
It costs $160 U.S. and it is well worth the price. Be forewarned, the course is difficult, the wind can blow in the afternoon and I found that I needed one extra club on many approach shots as well as the tee shots into the par threes. I normally shoot in the low to mids 80s from any back tees but here I was in the low 90s. The beverage cart is frequent and well stocked with the usual potatoe chips, sandwiches, water, gatorade and beer. At cashier's desk inside the golf course there is a representative from Moon Palace and their golf course.
Ignore her despite the "promotion" for free round trip transportation and 1/2 price green fees as they want you to attend a 90 minute presentation. The rep. wants you to stay at Moon Palace the next time you visit the Mayan area.

For runners who want shed some of their dessert and beer, there is an oval loop around Playacar that it about 3.75 miles long. It is quite popular in the early morning hours and gives you a good idea of the expanding area of playacar.

The spa at Royal Hideaway is good. The staff here are very professional and attentive. My masseur was often asking me if the pressure was sufficient while humming away to the music of Enya in the background.

In short, my wife and I would be pleased to go back to the Royal Hideaway. We know that everything is well above average for a resort of this type in Mexico. We hope that your vacation here will be enjoyable.

7  Thank Linda B

Dear Guest,

It has been a pleasure to be at your service; we hope we have the chance to serve you again in the near future, and If you need something please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 22 January 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway for our Honeymoon from Dec 15 thru Dec 21. We had an awesome time! I was tasked with planning the honeymoon and my research bordered on fanantical, if not obsessive; I can tell you all the names of all the all-inclusives from playa to tulum and their pluses and minus :o). After I booked the trip, I looked at the RH website daily and wistfully anticipated days of tropical bliss. All this to say that my expectations of the place were extremely high. Even after all my reading, research and fretting, the Royal Hideaway exceeded my expectations. If relaxation and pampering is what you are looking for, then this is the place. The grounds and the architecture are first class and really add to the ambiance. We never felt rushed or hurried or crowded. The food is excellent for an all-inclusive. I've defintely had better, but the presentation and the friendliness of the waiters almost make it taste better! Our 3rd floor room was a tad musty but we got used to the smell. It was also facing another resort, but again, that was no big deal. We stayed mostly at the resort, but did take a couple of excursions. We highly reccommed the Cenote Nohoch tour through alltournative expeditions. Snorkeling in a Cenote is one thing you have to do while on the Yucatan. We also went to the RH's sister Allegro resort on Cozumel for a day. Wow, what a waste! The food was horrible , the grounds smelled like sulfur , and there was just a hectic hustle and bustle that was absent from the RH.

The best way to appreciate the RH is to go to some of the resorts next door. You'll quickly realize how good you have it at the Royal Hideaway. Little things like having no kids around, grounds that are constantly manicured, relaxation pools everywhere, wait service at that beach and pool with unlimited towels , ala carte dinners, and friendly staff really do make a big difference!

It is hard not to have a good time at the Royal Hideaway!

6  Thank Companion26574

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Best Regard