“The Royal Treatment”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 July 2008

The hotel was amazing! Right when we walked in the treatment we were given was above the rest. This hotel would be great for older couples who wanted rest and relaxation at a premier level or honeymooners that are looking for a quiet stay. The food was exquisite...hats off to the chef! My only 2 things I would have changed are 1) slow on serving food; only a big deal for lunch which I would have preferred a buffet but usually took 1.5 hrs and 2) not much activities or night life so had to go into town. Again, the hotel lived up to it's name however my husband and I were looking for a something a little different in the night life arena.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank JCFtraveler

Reviewed 23 July 2008

My wife and I searched high and low for a good honeymoon spot. We didn't' want a crowded loud resort like some the Sandals can be.
From the time we arrived at the airport when Amex picked us up and delivered us to the resort the staff could not have been more polite, friendly, joking, you name it.
Champagne upon arrival. Tour of the property offered from everyone from the bellhop, to the front desk staff, to our personal concierge.
Personal concierge will do almost anything for you including outside activity reservations, special dinner reservations, walking directions to shopping or small local stores.
The place is gorgeous and the are maintaining it at a HIGH level of quality everyday.
So many small pools to escape with you spouse, etc.
The pool staff was always helpful to set up an umbrella, bring you a drink of your choice or their daily special. I recommend the dirty monkey/dirty banana!
If a rain shower passed through, ALL over the resort the staff quickly took away the cushions. Once the rain had passed, they quickly put the cushions back. That's a Really nice touch.
Our room was the two level duplex suite. Nice space with 3 balconies, a hammock, 2 tv's, 2 fridges.
We definitely want to go back to this place again.
Food was great, staff was excellent, and ALWAYS want you to try some tequila!
Go there.

1  Thank skibumdc
Reviewed 15 July 2008

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and from the moment we arrived we knew we were in good hands. The lobby is beautiful and long with the hotel grounds. Our room faced the other hotel but we never found it loud in the evenings like other reviews. We dined in all the restaurants. Our favorite was Azia. Our least favorite was Las Ventanas. The staff was wonderful and very happy. I recommend using one of the thai beds during your stay. If you are looking for long walks on the beach-this isn't the right area in Mexico for you. It is also very dangerious to swim beyond the sand bags. I too witnessed a lifeguard rescue by a swimmer who got stuck by the strong current.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephparisoli
Reviewed 14 July 2008

My husband and I were celebrating 25 years of being best friends so we took a 9 day trip to the Royal Hideaway. We met as teenagers working in a resort kitchen in the Gulf of Mexico. We understand food and hospitality as we are still working professionally in our chosen field of food service. I tell you this only because I want you to believe me when I tell you that the food in the establishments at Royal hideaway is fabulous. As a chef myself I know what it takes to put out food of that caliber. I am critical when it comes to good food. Also I met two other chefs at the resort whom were guests and they felt the same way. I purposely chose Royal Hideaway because the food was my number 1 priority... Now to the review

Arrived at the resort early afternoon, greeted with cold champagne and a chilled moist cotton towel. Room was not yet ready so we were sent to have lunch. We ate at their Caribbean
restaurant named Spices. Beautiful salads, fish, shrimp, pork, chicken flank steak tacos. By the way we ate soup at every meal and one was more delicious than the next, We ate so much fresh fish and it was all delicious. Sit outside where you will be swept away by the view and breeze.

Get into the room and it was lovely. Big bathroom , walk in closet so you can let that be where your messy stuff is. Beautiful bedroom. House keeping is fantastic. They ares sweet woman and they spend like an hour on each room and are very trustworthy. Fridge is filled with cold beer water and sodas at all times. Turn down service if great too because they give you more fresh towels again.Cleanliness is of the utmost importance to me and I had no complaints.

Concierge for the villa Manuel was very helpful whenever we needed anything and made all of our dinner reservations for us. He even bought me Mexican Coca Cola because it's made with cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup.

The grounds are to die for as well as the lobby and go to afternoon tea in the lobby at 4:00.

The pools are great and there are six of them yet it is a small resort and you do not feel crowded. The two main pools are by two restaurants that serve breakfast and lunch and it's where the pool bar is , that is the happening place in the resort. I am not into alcoholic beverages but my husband is and he was in heaven from this bar as well as all of the other guests. You can drink what ever you want the entire time at the Royal Hideaway. They only use top shelf booze. The servers who work the pool and beach area are the nicest people you could ever imagine. They are the most friendly and hospitable servers I have ever seen and experienced. So everyday by the pool a woman came around with a cart and offered cold fresh face towels and fresh fruit kebobs made with pineapple, papaya, watermelon and honeydew. One day a sax player played beautiful jazzy music by the pool. Two days they were walking around the pool giving free five minute massages from the therapists from the spa. Speaking of spa I went five times for five different massages. I had Thai, deep tissue, hot stone, lomi lomi and the royal experience all done by Abagail. The best I have ever experienced and I love massages. Mu husband worked out at the gym while I did the spa and it was in the same place. They have lovely fresh fruit and cold and hots teas, bottled water etc.... Abagail was so thorough that I will never forget her talent.

Food- I ate 27 meals at the resort and did not have one problem with my health. Drinking water or ice was not a problem. Water is all bottled.

Two breakfast venues are offered and I went to both and enjoyed them each for different things. I ate healthy every breakfast having egg whites made into wonderful dishes and loads of fresh tropical fruits. You can eat whatever pleases you and you can order what ever you want to taste and try. Service is amazing.

Lunch is served by the pool and beach area and we switched it up everyday between both restaurants and it's fun and the views are killer amazing. Spices and the deck serve lunch.

Dinner-
La Ventanas is the ultimate gourmet experience. If you are not a foodie and you are weirded out by ultra gourmet food than this restaurant is not for you. For those of you who live to eat you will find this experience beyond your wildest dreams. Francisco is the head waiter and he took amazingly great care of us.

La Palazza- Wonderful Italian food. The best Caprese salad of my life. Incredible Tuna Carpaccio, Antipasto, soups, perfect pastas and fish and osso bucco done beautifully. Benedicto and Jamie took exceptional care of us.

Azia- Japanese and Oriental Fusion. Very nice food but I had a bad server there who was the only bad server I had the entire nine days. He never acknowledged us and was rude and angry. Only bad experience. I told the manager but he kept him on our table and it was so uncomfortable.

The Grill- Great appetizers like the hearts of palms salad with warm shrimp, icy cold tuna carpaccio, wild mushrooms. Steaks are good not fabulous. My husband loved the Argentinean grill.

Allegro Bar- Big salty cashews and delicious cocktails.

Food was great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Service was even better !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The beach is not crowded and every hotel on the strip has the sandbag thing. It's not horrible. I swam every day all day.

Security keeps out people trying to crash the resort because it is the nicest one and you notice it from the beach because it is the nicest. Beach cabanas with white canopies surround the beach side of the resort.

Activities Director Alex is the coolest and most engaging person with a beautiful heart and spirit. Take a salsa class with him or maybe water aerobics.

Leave your computer at home there is a room with five computers free of charge to check your emails.

I have never felt so blessed and lucky to have had this experience. I felt spoiled to death and when people complain it blows my mind. Go and have the time of your life.

Lastly, Even though your tips are included I think it is a very nice gesture to tip the employees. This is the beat service I have ever had and the employees welcome you and make you feel as though you are family. Gracious to a fault. We are fortunate to be there and it will help them. They deserve it!

9  Thank miaboston
Reviewed 10 July 2008

we just returned from a five night stay at the Hideaway...after reviewing numerous sites we decided on this hotel based upon the review that it was adults only, 5 star with amazing food. Once we got to the hotel we discovered there was two 13 year old boys there with their parents. The boys were loud, splashing around the infinity pool and playing football while others, mostly couples were trying to relax. Many guests we met spoke of the boys and how "non relaxing" they made the environment. Their parents who were so loud from New York and who had no consideration for the fact this place was suppose to be adults only and a place to have a peaceful vacation never made them be quiet. We complained nemerous times to the hotel staff who informed us that 13 and up is allowed?!?!? Not sure where in the world 13 is an adult but this is their policy.

The rooms are also in need of updating. The linens, towels and bed are all of low quality. The shower is extremely small and the TV is not a flat screen and is small as well. The food in the evenings was delicious. We had no trouble making reservations. The food at lunch is average at best. The best thing about the hotel is the amazing workers in the food and beverage area who really go out of their way to get you anything. We do a lot tof traveling and have stayed in better Hilton and Marriott resorts compared to the price of the Hideaway. We enjoyed our time there but it is not worth the price and we would definitly look into other top resorts in that area before returning.

2  Thank 39tacbob