We traveled to the RHP from November 18-23, 2014. It was an overall great experience for our first all inclusive trip. We would have liked to give a rating of 4.5 if possible.
There are many things we loved about the resort. We were greeted with sparkling wine in the opulent lobby, which set the stage for the rest of our stay. The room was spacious and clean. The beach was picturesque- cool, fine, white sand; clear aqua water; plenty of lounge chairs (several with sun shades); and shady spots under trees. The liquor was top shelf. All of the restaurants were excellent, and we were blown away by Ventanas, which we learned was a collaboration with a Michelin-starred chef. Humberto was our waiter for several meals and we had a great interaction with him. We took part in and enjoyed many of the activities that were included in our stay: yoga (aka stretching), water aerobics, kayaking, salsa lessons and a bike ride to downtown Playa del Carmen. We thought the activities made the atmosphere more fun and lively. The activities coordinators made an effort to talk to and get to know the guests, which personalized the experience for us. Carlos and Sergio were especially great. The afternoon tea service was a wonderful treat. There was a wide selection of tea and the pastries were delicious (different each day). An additional unexpected treat was the afternoon BBQ that was setup poolside each day. This provided a nice alternative to the sit down lunch. The menu changed daily but we had whole fish, paella, burgers/hot dogs/wings, and ribs. Jorge and the additional pool side staff/bartenders kept the drinks flowing with quick service.
Onto some of the issues we experienced. The wi-fi was incredibly slow and unreliable throughout the resort. This was a big inconvenience and should not happen. Breakfast was a challenge for us at the buffet. We wanted to enjoy a simple breakfast of fruits and pastries by the pool and/or by the beach each morning, so we thought we would go to the buffet to get our meal to go. This was easier said than done. Each morning, when we told the hostess that we wanted to take a plate to go, we were told that they had to look for plates (and each day, the plates they gave us got progressively smaller). One day, we waited for close to 10 minutes while they "searched" for plates to give us. We also were given stern reminders that only fruit, yogurt and bread/pastry were allowed for take-out. We found this daily encounter somewhat humorous, but not accommodating at all. Lastly, we found the dinner reservation process laborious and unorganized. After reading suggestions from TripAdvisors, we emailed the hotel two weeks in advance of our arrival to make reservations for the restaurants. They made a reservation for us for the evening of our arrival and for the next night, but we were told to make the remaining reservations with our concierge after we arrived. Well, when we arrived, our concierge was gone for the day. The next morning, we ended up spending about half an hour with a substitute concierge making our reservations. By that point, some of the restaurants we wanted to dine at were booked for the duration of our stay or only late time slots were available (after 9:00pm). We thought the whole reservation process could be greatly improved.
Overall, we would certainly go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico