“Our Review Of Royal Hideaway”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 June 2005

My wife and I stayed at the RH recently for our honeymoon. I would like to begin by saying that we used TripAdvisor to help select this hotel, and I have had to accept the fact that not everyone shares the same taste. I think there are some for whom this hotel is ideal. For me, it was refreshing and nice, but not the experience of a lifetime. I would recommend ignoring any reviews that give all positive or all negative points about any hotel. It is also my opinion that many of the negative postings result from lack of flexibility that is mandatory when traveling to foreign locations. One should not expect customs or food to be identical to what one would expect in one's home country. Indeed, I have found these small differences to be one of the great aspects of travel.
The most outstanding aspect of the stay here is the service. The staff are very friendly, and always make every effort to please the guests.
The grounds are well done, and we generally were amazed at how tranquil the grounds were. This was not true of the beach.
The beach is somewhat sparse, as noted in other postings, but this is not the main problem in my opinion. The beach is rather crowded for my taste. Some may like it this way. If you are looking for a magical, secluded beach, then I would recommend looking elsewhere. The water, however, is pretty.
We were generally pleased with the restaurants. I particularly recommend the Grill for dinner, as it has a beautiful location. I had a mixed grill (Argentinian-style beef and lamb, quite good), while my wife had an excellent grouper. Palazzo was also quite nice. Spices has very tasty fare throughout the day. We only ate at Ventanas for breakfast, which was good. I cannot recommend Azia, even though I am an enormous fan of Eastern food. They served Japanese and Thai style dishes. We opted for the Japanese. Perhaps the Thai may be better, or perhaps we went on an off-evening.
The rooms are very comfortable, and the maid service was excellent.
I hope this provides you with useful information.

• Stayed: June 2005
23  Thank JeremyCleveland_OH
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

You will always be welcome here, as your home from home.

I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 June 2005

My husband & I were here for 5 days in the beginning of June with some people from his company. We were here 2 years ago with the same company. When we arrived at Cancun airport, we found the transportation company that was going to take us to the resort. Avoid anyone else other than the company that should take you...they try to get you to go with them and who knows how much they charge. It was hot upon our arrival at the Royal Hideaway 45 minutes later but we were welcomed with moist, pleasant scented towels and a glass of champagne. After check-in we had to wait about 1/2 hour before our room was ready. Although it was hot, we enjoyed a drink at the poolside bar. The grounds are magnificently manacured -the landscapers are always working...trimming the trees, mowing the lawn, painting... We had a villa near the pool and Spices restaurant (#31) which was always clean and our concierge was very helpful. We always had a towel sculpture on our bed after the room was cleaned. They even cleaned my soap dish...how's that for service? Although we only dined at Spices and Azia (our reservations were planned for us by the company we were with), it was said Palazzo and Ventanas was just as good by the people we were vacationing with. Azia was our favorite. Request to have dinner at the habachi grill. The spring rolls, chicken, shrimp, fried rice, banana dessert and chocolate truffles are out of this world. Spices, the restaurant above the poolside grill offers a delicious hot & cold breakfast buffet where Ventanas near the lobby offers an elegant sit down breakfast. Both are very good. You can work off those calories at the workout facilities. There are a few relaxation pools and a hot tub on the grounds. The spa also offers massages for more relaxation, as well as facials, manicures and pedicures. During our last visit there was alot more space on the beach but this beach is fine. In fact, it is situated above the shore where many people walk so we have a little bit more privacy than the other beaches down the way have. There are alot of sandbags but they are hidden. Several topless women walked the shore and sunbathed. There was one lady sunbathing at our pool but it didn't bother anyone. There are several activities by the pool such as BINGO, water volleyball, & volleyball in the sand. At the beach you can snorkle, take scuba lessons & scuba dive, rent a jet ski, go parasailing, etc. Cozumel is just a 45 minute ferry ride away. You can see it from the beach. A few of the people we were with had a 'swim with the dolphins' experience. From the look of their pictures, it looked like a great time. There are also tours to the pyramids, the jungle and you can shop on the popular 5th Avenue where you can find authentic Mexicana. Evenings you can opt to go into town (Senor Frogs is pretty popular-the airport has a Senor Frogs store) or you can enjoy activities at the Allegria Bar like taking Salsa lessons, dancing to the band or playing casino games. "Love is in the Air" by John Paul Young is their theme song which some of the staff perform a dance to. Many of the staff we noticed were on staff last time we came. Which brings me to say that they were all very nice and many of them had a good sense of humor. Thank you for such a great time!

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 4 June 2005

Okay, don't listen to people who are not well travelled or only travel to complain.

We just returned from RH which we chose for our honeymoon.

As far as the welcome, bellboys and checkin...Bellboys were very attentive and took all of our bags. We were escorted to the main lobby where we were seated in elegant furnishings and given champagne as well as cool aromatherapeutic towels...nice.

We were given a full tour of the resort and felt well informed. After our tour, we were escorted to our room. The room was Spotless, not musty and the AC was on.

Our Concierge introduced himself and told us if we need anything....Let me know. We booked several tours shopping etc and all went perfect.

The resort itself is beautiful. The grounds are impecable. Pools are almost sterile and blue. As far as that beach chair myth...we were able to get a chair with relative ease whenever I wanted.

Food! Exceptional. I don't mean good for an All Inclusive. I mean it was excptional period. All resturants should be tried at least once. Drinks are top shelf. No garbage liquor.

One day we decided to go to Chichen Itza to climb the Pyramid. I left my wedding ring (I am the Groom) on the bathroom sink. It is a ring which I designed myself and has tremendous sentimental and financial value. (about 1 years salary for hotel worker). I would have taken it!!

When we returned..Still where I left it. In fact the cleaning person cleaned around it! I hunted her down and gave here a healthy reward. She had tears in her eyes. we also told the concierge and manager.

The next day we went out to sample some tequilla in town which is a 3 minute drive. Taxis (nice taxi's and drivers) are always right out front for $4 trip to town. When we were on our way out the bellboys we made friennds with(Philip) was not wearing his name plate. We asked him what happened and he said he lost it.
When we returned to the hotel he was wearing it again. So you found it we said...No, he said I had to buy a new one for 10 dollars...I handed him $10 and said good night. He said "now you are my Godfather."

Mexican's are happy, fun intelligent people. You will have the time of your life.

Go to the Royal Hideaway..Go anywhere you want..But take advice from a traveller:

Treat people everywhere you go with respect. Suprise the people that are working very hard so you have a great vac. Smile, laugh and say thank you. Spend a few minutes to learn their culture and spend a few dollars to make someones life a little easier. Remember, You are fortunate....You can take a vacation.

52  Thank FOODBEAST66

A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2005

My husband and I just returned from the RH this past Sunday. We chose the RH for our honeymoon and it exceeded our expectations. We were both very excited about the resort based on many positive reviews posted on the web site and were happy we chose this resort instead of another.

Starting off; walking into the resort and being handed a glass of champagne and a cool towel (scented with 'Aqua de Naranja' - had to buy some) was enough to relax any seasoned travel. Check-in was a breeze and we were escorted to Spices for lunch since our room would not be ready for another 1.5 hours. Spices ended up being our breakfast spot of coice; not only for the view but for the variety.

Incredible weather the entire time we were there. Our villa - #30 was beautiful and Rosalia was of incredible assistance. Make sure to make all of your dinner reservations when you arrive, you can always change then as necessary if plans change. We had dinner at all of the resturants- Palazzo ended up being out favorite. Request a terrace seat at sunset as you can see the entire grounds and ocean; the pasta tasted great too.

Champagne in the room upon arrival for the honeymooners was a plus, as was the daily newsletter of the happenings of the resort. The twice daily room cleans/turn down service was a refreshing touch as well.

I was a bit nervous of the status of the beach from reading the reviews, but if I had not read them before I arrived, I probably would not have known any different. I have never seen a staff of employees keep such an imaculate beach and grounds all throughout the day and night.

As for the service, I could not have asked for more. Everyone knew us by name and exchanged a "Hola, como esta" each time passing on the grounds. We were never at a want for anything the entire time there. For the beach activities, Uriel and Gus provided much entertainment for the folks every afternoon and joined in on the fun.

Overall, what a great trip. We even biked into town on 2 occassions and can't wait to head back soon!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 1 June 2005

Okay, let's get this out of the way. The following prevented us from giving the Royal Hideaway 5 stars:

1. Arrival- Upon arrival the bellboy didn't grab all our bags. I had to carry my laptop and my wife carried her shoulder bag. This after lugging all our stuff through customs and Cancun airport. The bellboy put our luggage on his cart and rushed off as we were left to register with laptop and overnight bag still in hand.

2. Check-in- The host at check-in was unpleasant. It was our anniversary. We didn't get a "Happy Annivesary" or a friendly welcome. Instead we got a hurried presentation of the services and anmenities. He spoke so fast we hardly understood half of it. He seemed irritated. My wife asked a simple question that was actually referred to me, wondering about what time the spa closes. He snapped "Please, please, you need to ask the concierge", instead of providing us a simple answer. His tone just didn't seem friendly.

3. Dress code at spices- Wife and I went to spices for breakfast one morning. Was told there was no dresscode. She was wearing a bikini top and a pair of shorts. When we walked in the host said "No, no you can't come in here, you have to get a shirt. You can't come in here dressed like that". His tone was very unfriendly and loud enough to draw attention from other guests. Something that could have easily been handled by simply saying "I'm sorry we do not allow bikini tops" or something similar in a more quiet and personable tone instead of creating a mini drama and embarassing my wife.

4. Food to room- One morning my wife had an extreme migrane headache. Since the room service menu just has a continental breakfast option and she wanted pancakes, I had to go to Spices with the intent to fill up a plate of pancakes to bring back to the room for her. I was told by the hostess that the policy is not to allow guests to do this because they didn't want the plates leaving the restaurant. Fair enough. So I went to the concierge and told her about this situation. She apologized and said there was nothing she could do. There was no attempt to assist in the matter. Well I ended up taking the initiative by calling room service and talking to Chris. I told him what my wife wanted from the buffet. He was very friendly and said it would be no problem at all to get this done. They filled up a plate at Spices and the plate was delivered within 15 minutes.

5. Runaway Mouse- We're late nighters and one night went to the business office at 2:00 in the morning. My wife was using their computer and I had our laptop. The resort was like a ghost town with guests sleeping the night away. But we did see a few employees wandering around during the 1.5 hours we were in the biz office. We left at about 3:30am to return to the room. As soon as we got back to the room I realized we left our mouse pad there. My wife immediately left to retrieve it, but it was no longer there. She went upstairs and asked if anyone had seen it. Nope. Gone. So in just approximately 5 minutes after leaving the business office, someone snatched the cheap mousepad up like a vulture. Incredible. This situation is serious and concerns me more than anything else above. Also, previously to this incident I accidentally left my sunglasses in the spa shower room and by the time the massage was over, they were gone. However, there were other guests around at the time who possibly could have snatched them up. I'm responsible for leaving my items around and don't expect any sympathy. The question is, where did they go?

6. Spa Services- The spa setting itself is gorgeous. We ordered the "Day Of Beauty" package which consisted of four hours of massages, facials, manicures, and pedicures for both of us. The massages were okay, but way overpriced considering the quality in our opinion. When the massage was over they put us both flat on our back on the massage table so we could receive the facials. With our eyes covered, we never received any warning when something hot or cold was going to be applied to our faces. A little communication would be nice here to help prevent facial shock. Seemed like we laid flat on our back for about 30 minutes. The tables weren't that comfortable to be laying on our backs for such an extended period of time. In fact, our backs got sore from this and we ended up scheduling massages for the next day off the property to fix our backs. No complaints about the manicure or pedicures.

7. Room Service Menu- Okay, I may be nickpicking here but after midnight there are two main courses available on the room service menu which are: Breaded Chicken Scalops with vegetables and french fries, or Grilled Mahi Mahi fillet, with sauted vegetables in olive oil

These are probably delicious meals, but who would want to order this for a midnight snack? How about giving us a choice of some chips, dips, pretzels, popcorn, light sandwiches, hamburgers, soups, ice cream, or cakes? However, I do know they provide more than what is listed on the room service menu as one night my wife requested ice cream and got it. By the way, it was delicious.

So the negative basically deals with a few customer service issues (which is suppose to be one of Royal Hideaways greatest strengths), possible employee theft of a cheap mousepad, and spa services. As you will see from here on out is that it gets better. Service wasn't bad across the board, it was just inconsistent.

That's out of the way. Now the good.

A. Food- Yes it's true. As mentioned so many times before, the food for the most part was exceptional. We had no problem with portion sizes as some have mentioned. We thought the portions were perfect. In fact, we often felt overstuffed after dinner. If the portion sizes were too small, simply order more. Nobody should ever leave hungry from their fine restaurants. Just a few of the dinners were "good" in our opinion, but I won't hold this against Royal Hideaway. Some meals we were unfamiliar with and ordered anyways to experiment with new dishes. It's not their fault if my taste buds don't particulary care for a certain combo of spices. The meal presentations and service at all restaurants were top notch. A true "5" star in this category. Room service was also exceptional. Orders promised to be delivered in 25 minutes, but the norm was more like 10-15 minutes. Drinks throughout were excellent.

B. Concierge- Rosalia did a complete 180 degree turn from the situation in #4 above. She went above and beyond what we expected. She helped make our anniversary one we will never forget. I just cannot say enough good things about the job Rosalia did for us during our stay at the Royal Hideaway.

C. Grounds- Very well kept. The Royal Hideaway is a very beautiful property. They do a great job of keeping the grounds and property in such immaculate shape.

D. Room- Very nice. Glad we opted for the standard suite instead of the "ocean view" suite. Not worth the extra cost in our opinion. I could see how come guests could have complaints about the room. Depends on what building you are in. Some buildings patios face the resort properties located next door. We heard some noise a few times coming from these properties while we were walking on the sidewalk in the middle of the Royal Hideaway property. I could just imagine what it would be like for those folks who have rooms so close to those other resorts.

E. Housekeeping- Excellent. Always kept the room nice and clean.

F. Beach, pool chairs, pools- Previous review comments are accurate from our experience.

That about covers it. Don't think we will be returning, not because we didn't have a great time because we did. Had a blast. However, with so many other resorts to visit that we've never been to, Royal Hideway would have to blow us away for us to return, and they just didn't do that.

If you've never been to the Royal Hideway we suggest you give it a shot. It really was a great experience and one that we will never forget. There is a lot of good on this beautiful property, and your experience can vary greatly depending on the turn of events that lead you to encounter certain individuals throughout your stay.

26  Thank rocker68