My wife and I stayed at the RH recently for our honeymoon. I would like to begin by saying that we used TripAdvisor to help select this hotel, and I have had to accept the fact that not everyone shares the same taste. I think there are some for whom this hotel is ideal. For me, it was refreshing and nice, but not the experience of a lifetime. I would recommend ignoring any reviews that give all positive or all negative points about any hotel. It is also my opinion that many of the negative postings result from lack of flexibility that is mandatory when traveling to foreign locations. One should not expect customs or food to be identical to what one would expect in one's home country. Indeed, I have found these small differences to be one of the great aspects of travel.
The most outstanding aspect of the stay here is the service. The staff are very friendly, and always make every effort to please the guests.
The grounds are well done, and we generally were amazed at how tranquil the grounds were. This was not true of the beach.
The beach is somewhat sparse, as noted in other postings, but this is not the main problem in my opinion. The beach is rather crowded for my taste. Some may like it this way. If you are looking for a magical, secluded beach, then I would recommend looking elsewhere. The water, however, is pretty.
We were generally pleased with the restaurants. I particularly recommend the Grill for dinner, as it has a beautiful location. I had a mixed grill (Argentinian-style beef and lamb, quite good), while my wife had an excellent grouper. Palazzo was also quite nice. Spices has very tasty fare throughout the day. We only ate at Ventanas for breakfast, which was good. I cannot recommend Azia, even though I am an enormous fan of Eastern food. They served Japanese and Thai style dishes. We opted for the Japanese. Perhaps the Thai may be better, or perhaps we went on an off-evening.
The rooms are very comfortable, and the maid service was excellent.
I hope this provides you with useful information.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico