“Hideaway indeed”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #31 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway Playacar for our 50th and 51st Birthdays. We were greeted kindly and offered a cold drink upon arrival. Our room wasn't ready as we were early, so we went to the Deck restaurant for lunch. Again we received a wonderful greeting and had a delicious lunch. We checked into our room on time and settled in for what turned out to be a perfect week. The resort is architecturally beautiful and has hidden romantic pools to float in if you want to get away on your own. The food was eclectic and delicious. The staff makes this a perfect experience, as they are friendly and provide exceptional service. We cannot wait to return!

2  Thank Lori-Ann S
Pablo M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Dear Lori-Ann S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us and TripAdvisor’s Readers.
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you. We will send your comment to our friends and their bosses, they will be honored with your words.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service
Best Regards;

Write a ReviewReviews (4,486)

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

We were here on our 1st anniversary and my birthday. From the moment we stepped out of our taxi the staff was incredible. Our room was exceptional. Penelope our concierge thought of everything to make our stay special to rose petals on our bed champagne in our room, you never have to think of anything cause they take care of it before you have a chance. The food is fantastic and the service exceptional Rafael at the grill made you feel like family. I could go on forever don't have a bad thing to say about this hidden jewel. I work for an airline and have been to many places but I have t say nothing compares to this. I can not wait to come back which is something I don't usually do.. Hope everyone enjoys this hidden gem as much as we did

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kim W
Pablo M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Kim W,
Thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback regarding your recent holiday to the Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a great pleasure and very encouraging to read such positive comments.
We all work very hard to maintain a high standard of service at the Royal Hideaway and it would be a pleasure to welcome you once again to our hotel, your home away from home.
Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful feedback with us.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 September 2017

What a beautiful resort! The staff was ridiculously attentive, especially at the pool! Pool area needs to stay open longer, but other than that I can't imagine there's a better place to go than the Royal Hideaway.

The food at Azia was phenomenal. We could've eaten there every night. By far the best restaurant. Spices needed more traditional Mexican dishes and La Ventazza wasn't as good as expected. The grill was great for breakfast and lunch.

The pool and beach are beautiful and the staff there is just as incredible. Only shortfalls are there need to be more lounge chairs and the area needs to stay open longer. Pool bar closes at 6pm and doesn't reopen for the rest of the evening. It's a shame because that area, is the best at the resort.

3  Thank James W
Pablo M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear jameswN1093LF,

We are over-joyed hearing about your fantastic stay here at The Royal Hideaway, and very much appreciate your valuable feedback. You and your family are welcome back here anytime, it will always be your home from home!

I will be sure to show our team your kind words and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I give the Royal Hideaway resort and its staff 100 STARS!! I will explain all of the amazing parts about the resort/staff below, but for those who are on the fence – book your trip to the Royal Hideaway Playacar. You will be treated like royalty. The only caveat is if you are looking for a super noisy, spring break kind of resort with lots of music, dancing and activities – this will NOT be the resort for you. At this resort, the atmosphere is always relaxing and quiet. The guests are mature, polite and looking for nice conversations with other tourists. All guests are married or engaged. But for those of you looking for a true getaway and hideaway without tons of distractions and noises, this is the place for you!

I stayed at the Royal Hideaway from July 18 to 24, 2017. I stayed at the resort with my mom and we traveled there for my 31st birthday. This was our first time in Mexico. My mom had previously been to an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana and this was my first experience with an all-inclusive resort. I was blown away – this trip was everything I wanted (and more) for my birthday!

1) When we arrived to the hotel, we were immediately greeted with smiles. The concierge took our bags. The hotel check in woman gave us wine and I asked for a third floor room with a king and that’s exactly what we got. Our bags arrived to our room shortly after we did. The same on the day we left – the bell men took our bags to the lobby and then loaded them into the car. The staff never let you lift a finger. I believe the bell man I knew was Basar and he was GREAT! All of the lobby staff are amazing.
2) Food, water bottles and drinks are ALWAYS around. Just make sure to book your restaurant reservations with your concierge IMMEDIATELY. Don’t go to the beach first – book your dinner restaurants first. You will never have to wait in line for breakfast or lunch and you never need a reservation for breakfast or lunch. And drinks and alcoholic beverages are ALWAYS around. But if you want dinner, book those plans immediately. All restaurants were amazing. We did not have any meal that wasn’t delicious.
3) Do not show up late for a reservation. The first night we were there, we saw two guests not be able to be seated because they arrived 10 or 15 minutes late. Show up on time!
4) Restaurants have dress codes. Bring nice outfits to wear every night. You also cannot wear bathing suits and bikinis in the lunch areas; bring a cover up.
5) It was my birthday on July 20. Brandon was our concierge and we give him 100 STARS as well! He booked all of our restaurant reservations and was very patient with us when we made changes to those reservations and he always helped us out. He secretly coordinated with my mom to decorate our room with balloons on my birthday. He also coordinated with the Asia restaurant to bring me cake and sing to me on my birthday. I was truly surprised. And my chocolate cake was SOOO good! Thanks, Brandon! You are the BEST!
6) You will need to get up early to reserve beds/chairs by the pools. The beds on the sand never seemed to fill up, but the ones by the pool fill up. You will need to get up early and save a chair.
7) If you are looking for non-stop noise and activity, this is NOT the resort for you. The Hideaway is peaceful, quiet and overall – very “chill.” There are tequila tastings, aqua Zumba classes, make your own margarita classes and dance lessons, etc. But if you are looking for loud music and a non-stop party, this isn’t the place for you. It is a mature older crowd. Ages range between 28 to 60. Single men and women would likely not find this place ideal, unless they are not looking to meet anyone.
8) While you are there, I would recommend visiting downtown Playacar during the day and the little shopping village right across the street. I also recommend seeing Tulum, Chichen Itza, going ziplining and going to as may cenotes as possible.
9) My mom got room service one night. She got it 20 minutes after she ordered it.
10) Make sure to bring tip money and either tip in bulk at the end of your trip or consistently during the trip. The staff work so hard and their service is unparalleled. Every single staff person gets 100 stars.
11) Yes, the refrigerators do not get super cold. But SO WHAT? Bring a drink back to the room. Stop complaining about it. You should barely be in your room anyway!
12) Every room comes with a balcony. You will hear birds chirping each morning and it is so beautiful to hear.
13) The television comes with lots of channels, many of which show English-speaking shows/movies.
14) There are many pools on the property; make sure to walk the entire property and try each one out. My favorite was the infinity pool by the beach.
15) I think the cleaning staff clean your room about three times a day. The room was always spotless. One time, I took a nap at 3PM. I left the room at 5PM. When I came back at 6PM, someone had come in and made the bed!! I think they watch for when guests leave so that they can clean up. Immaculate service and immaculately clean rooms!!
16) Our room stayed chilly the entire time; room temperature was never a problem for us.
17) Some reviews talk about doors that slam. We never heard any slamming doors.
18) The main building is STUNNING! Make sure to walk around and see everything. The cleaning staff scrub every part of the resort and you can tell – the entire resort SHINES.
19) I was easily able to walk onto other resorts (during the day). I wanted to see what the other resorts looked like and what their overall “vibe” was. No one will stop you and it is cool checking out the other places. The other resorts are so loud and busy in comparison to the Royal Hideaway. Their pools are filled to the brim with both children and adults with loud musical and water splashing everywhere. That is exactly why we chose the Hideaway!

Thank you again to the entire Royal Hideaway team! We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank JackieDebra
Pablo M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear JackieDebra,

Thank you for share your wonderful experience about your stay with us, We appreciate the time you have taken out of your schedule to post a review.

It is very encouraging to read such good comments about your stay. The team here work very hard to provide a consistently high service and are very proud of what this resort represents. They will be very encouraged by your comments, I will share with all of them.

It has been a pleasure to be at your service; we hope we have the chance to serve you again in the near future, and If you need something please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2017

We chose this hotel for the location of the ProDive scuba shop but also for the adults-only vibe.
the dive shop was well located and very good. Our villa (30) was close to the adjacent hotel's kiddy pool so the noise was quite loud in the afternoon with screaming kids.
i would rate this as a 4 star resort although the staff and food are definitely 5 star.
Beds and food amazing. Pools are small but enjoyed small private pools around the grounds.
Nightly entertainment was so-so. Beach very nice. Lots of beach chairs with covers. Small size of hotel a plus and got to know a lot of staff quite well.
An enjoyable experience all around!!

1  Thank seamoregirl

Dear seamoregirl,

Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful feedback with us.

Kind regards,