US$317
US$242
  • Free Breakfast
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$331
US$250
Barcelo.com
Residences El Faro(Playa del Carmen)
US$170
  • Pool
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$508
US$379
  • Beachfront
La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$72
US$64
The Carmen Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$160
  • Free Breakfast
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$385
US$338
  • Free Breakfast
Xaman-ha 7016 Luxury Condominium(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$504
US$320
US$792
US$627
5,274 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysspecialty restaurantsjungle atmosphereswim up barjapanese restaurantthomas cooksports pooldressel diversother resortstowel hutjungle feelate at the japanesetenderloinmain buffetgated communitymagic show
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I read all the reports and I have just come back Aug 16th- 23rd having had a fab time.

No problems getting there got to hotel about 5;30 pm. Head down and walked through the airport as advised here found our ride and it went straight to the hotel no drop offs en route!

Room was ready, double room building 16 near buffet restaurant. Comfortable and clean plenty of towels and changed daily also the bed was changed every 2 days. I thought the bed was perfect - not hard for me. Ac worked well was about 25 in the room and felt cool compared to the 32 in the shade outside.

Loved the pool although it was warm. The beach was beautiful and the water very clear and cooler than the pool. Plenty of sun beds and allways some available about 9am more so on the beach than at the pool. People were reserving them at the pool and we did too in the end we allways got clean towels at the end of each day and took them up to the room for the next morning.

My Husband and daughter ended up doing the PADI scuba diving and it was an intense course 2 pool dives and 2 ocean dives plus classroom time and dvd's to support teaching. Impressed with the instructors and the patience they had with my daughter who is just old enough to do it. Her first ocean dive she got stung with coral and dealt with it very well and had to surface to get first aid to her knee, and they let her redive the next day to redo it.

There are so many activities if you want it, if you don't you will not be pestered. The shows at night were good we saw 2 and enjoyed them but every night would get tedious. My kids weren't interested in the kids club it was too young for them and the staff were not very welcoming when we stopped by.

Food and drink plentiful. We didnt drink much had a few Mojitos and enjoed them but did like having liqueurs poured onto our ice cream which they did without any problems.,

Food- go to the Japanese restaurant it was a good show and the food was good. We went to the steakhouse it was Ok not quite what we are used to here. My tenderloin was better than my husbands porterhouse which was too thin 1/2" and dry. Kids had salmon and they said it was too dry also. I lucked out! The buffet was good with a huge selection if you dont like something there there is not much hope for you! I loved the omlettes in the morning that a lady made for you.

People from all over were there, europe, russia, usa mexico.

We went into Playa once to do it and it was exactly as expected tourist heaven/ hell! I would stay at the hotel in future. It is not my scene.

Overall a great family vacation and a great value. I would go back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank efoden
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Stayed at the Quetzal for two weeks July/August 2008. Everything about the hotel was fantastic. The Grounds of the hotel complex are what make this hotel different, in that they are of a "jungle" nature. We saw monkeys most days, as well as Iquanas, peacocks, Agoutis, peacocks, and numerous other birds.

The beach is fine and although the sandbags are still in place, this is not a problem at all. If you walk a few minutes along the beach and past the hotels, the beach is deserted, with the "jungle" running right to the beach it's self.

The food was great. The buffet is enormous and hugely varied. Only really picky people could find anything to complain about it, as there is such variety. We visited four of the five restaurants, and the Mexican and Italian waere our favourites.

As well as the food, the hotel staff were great. The cleaners and waiters couldn't do enough for us, and the "Star Friends" seem to be on the go all day, everyday. We were very impressed by all the hotel staff.

Although the hotel is fantastic, don't just saty in the complex all the time, especially if you have flown all the way from Europe. There is so much to see and do in the area, if you just want to lay on the beach all day, it is a lot cheaper just to go to Spain and do that. I couldn't fault the hotel on anything, not even the alleged "hard beds".

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a quality break in a lovely, well thought out and designed hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank macala
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We went on holiday to the Iberostar Quetzal from 27th July to 11th August, the weather was VERY hot, so be prepared.

We had a lovely quiet room near to the lobby and restaurants, very clean, enjoyed the towel animals, and the room was always cleaned by noon. Yes the beds are hard, but we soon got used to it.

The beach is still lovely, we went here about 7 years ago, and really didn't notice much difference. The hotel staff all work extremely hard, especially the bar tenders and the Star Friends. You do need to get up early if you want a spot in the shade either by the pool area or on the beach, my husband or I used to go down and sit in the peace and quiet early and then go for breakfast. People do reserve beds really early and then don't use them for ages, can be annoying! The pool area does get very busy around 10 am, the only annoyance was young people playing ball (with a hard volleyball) in the shallow pool, making it hard to swim, there is a games pool separate from the main pool that could be used.

The food was good, enjoyed the Japanese, Steakhouse and Italian. The buffet was good and always had a selection of meat or fish. We had lunch at the quieter beach restaurant that did not allow wet swimsuits, suited us fine.

The cocktails are great, especially the orange margarita! Plenty of non alcoholic ones too.

Evening entertainment was good, my daughter, aged 13, loved them. Some better than others, musical and dancing ones great, but Miss Iberostar and Perfect Partner were not to my taste!!

All in all a lovely holiday, enjoyed the jungle and hearing the birds and monkeys in the early morning. Would recommend it to everyone, only gripe being the amount of people, and the allowing of people to smoke ANYWHERE as we are not used to that in Europe and the States.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ps01273
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We're a couple in our mid thirties and booked the hotel based on the reviews from Tripadvisor. We were impressed by the consistent great reviews and thought it would be a good fit for us. Here is a recap of our experiences:

Check in: Very friendly lady at front desk. A waitress brought us a drink (it was only 10am but was sweltering hot so that was a nice touch). Room was not ready so we had them put our passports and laptop in their safe and our luggage with the bell boys and we had lunch and checked out the hotel. They have a changing area around the corner in the lobby to change into swimsuits. Around 2pm the front desk woman saw us walking by and told us they needed just 30 minutes for the room to be ready, and we were pretty excited. We came back an hour later and she was gone and another man at the desk told us the room was not ready and to check back in a half hour or so. Minor inconvenience, I guess, but when we eventually went to room about 45 minutes later, they were still cleaning. Bellboy brought our bags on a golf cart out to our room.

Room: It was fine, a little dated but nice bathroom. Yes, beds are hard but they are pretty much everywhere down there. Nice balcony. Maids filled up our minibar every day and made little towel animals for us. Usually made up our rooms before noon every day. Tipped $1 or $2 US each day for them. We were on the third floor and there were no elevators so, if you have problems going up and down stairs, keep that in mind.

Food/Dinks: We agreed food was just ok. The buffet had a nice variety but after 5 days it got old. We ate at the Japanese and Mexican specialty restaurants which were nice and the food was good. I ordered room service once and they got me a pizza in ten minutes. However, it was quite undercooked and bland. They had some informal food areas by the beach where people could just wander over in their swimsuits and grab a bite but consisted mostly of hotdogs, hamburgers, fries, etc. Not many healthy choices. For drinks, we would just ask for the good stuff (liquor) and they always gave it to us (usually hidden underneath the bar in a cupboard somewhere). The beach bar was always crowded and we didn’t get the good stuff there but it was so hot, it was probably good the drinks were a little weak. We hung out a lot at the lobby bar, it’s fun to people watch there.

Beach/Pool: There were several days at 10-11 am when we just couldn't get a place to sit, either at the pool or at the beach. I guess I could have gone down early and thrown my towels on a couple chairs to save them like everyone else (There were about 1/3 people as there were towels on chairs at most times) but just never did. When we went to the beach around 4-5 pm, we could find a spot to sit. We also swam and had a blast on the sandbags. I really don't think they deter too much from enjoying the water. They serve a purpose and people seem to get a kick out of playing on them. Many topless ladies on the beach so if that isn't your thing, heads up. I did get several sand flea bites on my ankles. The pool is huge and there is a little area for children. Strangely, on a really hot day we went in and it was about the temperature of warm bath water, not too refreshing. There is a cool swim up bar/pool set off in a little cove (and hard to find unless you stumble upon it).

Entertainment: We found this is where the Iberostar is lacking. I realize they work very hard to put their shows on nightly and we went to one, and it was mildly amusing but after a half an hour, we called it quits. There is a disco that opens at 10:30 pm and we peeked in one night but thought it wasn't much our style. I believe being a little closer to Playa would have served us better.

Location: The Iberostar is one of about 7 resorts in Playacar but the furthest away from Playa Del Carmen. It took us about 20 minutes to walk which isn’t normally a problem but it was so hot, we only did it once. We would take cabs for $6 US each way into Playa. There is a nice little mall about a five minute walk away, I used the ATM to get pesos. Playacar is a gated community and I felt very secure in this area at all times.

Misc: I used their WIFI which is available in the lobby area. Cost is $10/day. They have a nice little gym (a couple of treadmills, stairclimber, weights, etc) over on the Tucan side of the resort. Not air conditioned. They had tennis courts and a little place on site to rent bikes and mopeds. They also have two desks in the lobby to sign up for tours, very convenient.

Grounds: Very well kept and while at first we enjoyed walking through the jungle area (we saw monkeys quite a bit), near the end of our trip, having to walk over cobblestone at night with a bunch of turns and steps made for tricky walking since the paths were not well lit and especially after a couple Mojitos.

People: The staff was the best part about the place. Everyone was always greeting you with a smile. The store called my room because they accidentally forgot to give my husband his credit card back and told us they would hold it for us until we came to get it. While checking out, however, we called to have someone help us bring our bags to the lobby and were told they were too busy. Maybe in 15 minutes or so. Someone did show up 5 minutes later, though.

Other guests: Very European, I would say only 15-20% Americans which was an interesting experience to notice all the cultural differences. Lots of kids running around.

Our overall feeling was, after visiting some of the beautiful hotels while walking down 5th in Playa Del Carmen, we decided we would have loved to stay up there and basically, any time we wanted to go to a bar or nightclub or to a restaurant, we could be there within a minutes walk. Iberostar, I would say, is a good family place to stay and deserves a 3 star rating. I am surprised it is rated 14 out of 157 hotels. I would put it somewhere in the middle.

Stayed: July 2008
6  Thank 3kings1queen
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My husband and I got a great deal on the Iberostar Quetzal for a 6 nite stay in early August. For perspective, this was our 5th all-inclusive beach vacation--Cancun Palace, Riu Jalisco in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Sun Village and Gran Bahia in Dominican Republic. We both agreed that the Iberostar was probably overrated for the usual price. I depend on TripAdvisor reviews when booking our vacations, so here are my thoughts. It's long so I broke it down into sections.

CHECK-IN/FRONT DESK: We arrived very late (8:30 p.m.) and were exhausted from the day's travel. A waitress immediately brought us fresh juice -- wonderfully refreshing and a nice touch. We asked for a room close to the beach; none were available that nite, but we got it as promised the next day. Probably because it was so late, we did not have a bell boy to show us to our room. We were given our key cards and general directions. This was NOT a welcoming greeting, lugging our luggage with us, trying to find our room! Overall 4 out of 10.

ROOM: The rooms are somewhat dated, but we who spends a lot of time in it? They were comfortable enough -- nice marble bathroom, large room area. The bed is definitely hard!!! We have a firm mattress at home, and even with the topper on it, it was very firm, as most beds are in Mexico and the Caribbean. We could occasionally hear neighbors, but this hotel was not nearly as noisy as some we've stayed at. Overall 7 out of 10.

FOOD/DRINKS: The food was very good. This is where my husband and I disagree, however. If I like something, I can eat it every day; he, however, requires more variety. The main buffet was somewhat limited in their selections. We are not gourmet people by any means (at home we eat at Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, etc.) I enjoyed the food the entire week, but my husband tired of it before we left. Just FYI for those that need lots of variety. We did book 2 restaurants -- the Steak House and the Japanese. Both were excellent!!! The men must wera pants in only some of the restaurants, not all--so ask before making your reservations if that's important to you. We ate lunch every day by the beach/pool and that was sufficient. Not great, but good enough. Specialty Restaurants: 9 of 10 (desserts were the exact same as on the buffet or it would be 10 of 10) Buffets: 7 of 10.

BEACH: This is the make or break item for us. The water was beautiful, as others have said--not quite as clear as in Cancun, but gorgeous shades of turquoise and blue. The beach dropped off very quickly, however, and the swimmable area extended only 15 - 20 feet (just to the sandbags). Also, during the weekend the beach seemed extremely crowded. But we walked past the Sandos next door to an area that is not developed and had the beach almost to ourselves. I was very worried about the sandbags before our trip, and almost didn'[t book this hotel because of them. I shouldn't have worried, because we ended up playing on them and having a blast on days when it wasn't so crowded. One note about the umbrellas: yes, they are free and are quite nice to set up wherever you want them by your chairs. BUT, they ran out of them early in the day. We tried to get one after 9:30 a.m. one day, and they were already out. We watched for others' returning theirs and when we finally did get one, we had a 2-hour time limit on it. I mention this because I haven't seen it in any other reviews. There was often a breeze that helped, but the sun is HOT, so you will need some shade. 6 of 10.

SHOWS: These are just extra for us, but we enjoyed them. They involve kids first (around 7, I think), then they play and sing live music and have dancing for those who want it. Next, the Star Friends have the audience participation shows, which can be really funny, depending on the participants. Finally, at 9:40 each night, they have the main show. Considering that the Star Friends have worked all day on the pool and beach activities, they do a great job. No, it's not vegas, but it was enjoyable enough. 8 of 10.

TOURS/EXCURSIONS: We did the "Mayan Adventure", which was snorkeling and swimming in cenotes. This was definitely worth the money. As this was our 5th beach vacation, we wanted something different from anything else we had done, and this was it!! 10 of 10.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: The people were all very nice and quick to offer an "Hola." We took lots of $1 for tips, but didn't feel pressured to always give one. There were fewer Americans there than any other nationality -- something again my husband and I disagree on. I enjoy the other cultures. Yes, the Europeans were often rude -- cutting in line and they do not move over or yield when walking on the paths. I just learned to either let it go (I'm on vacation, right?!!) or cut right back. Am I glad we went? YES. Would I go again? No, because we prefer to see other places rather than return to the same places. Would I recommend to a friend? Probably, but with the understanding of the few negative things mentioned. I would definitely NOT pay full price, however. For my money, I have gotten much better at other resorts. Hope this helps -- Happy Travels To All!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple