I can't wait to come back! I stayed for two weeks in two different standard plus rooms (have balcony). It's so relaxing here I tended to spend my days around the pool and not bothering to go to the beach! The hotel is right in the main part of the town so there are plenty of shops and restaurants near by. Staff speak excellent English. The bus station is also quite close which is really convenient for reaching the Cancun airport and the collectivos are also nearby for access to Tulum or cenotes etc. It's a great location for this.
The pool and lounge area is just fantastic (there is the occasional mosquito though). The pool is cleaned a lot. The spa is the same temperature as the pool - it could be warmer. There is also a sunny courtyard above the restaurant with comfy lounge chairs for extra tanning time or if your favourite lounge chair is taken already. There is also a great bookshelf with plenty of books. Bar seemed to be always open and there is a snooker table as well. I also liked the music they play in the pool area. Don't worry it not loud.
This hotel is not new but it has a really cool layout and design and the reasonable price reflects this I think. I had two rooms, the first had a nice renovated bathroom and the second had an old bathroom but was still functional. The cupboards are old and original I did not bother to hang my clothes in them. I did use the safe. The air-conditioner was good but I thought it could have gone to a warmer temperature since I was there in cooler weather and needed to dry the humidity up a bit as well.
The staff are really friendly and helpful. I felt very comfortable and quite secure here as a solo female traveler.
You get a bottle of water for your first night and a coffee maker but no coffee or milk. There is an inroom mini bar which has a few nice snacks and drinks.
I enjoyed eating breakfast at the attached Como Como restaurant. You get three choices for the included breakfast (my fav was the Italian with fruit, yoghurt, granola, croissant and coffee) but you can also order from the restaurant menu if you don't mind paying for additional items. Remember to bring coins for tipping even though there is no charge for breakfast. I forgot one morning and felt a little bad not leaving one.
Atmosphere and style here is more old classic than modern. Rooms are older but nicely decorated and the beds are just super comfortable.
Hotel also has association with 3 Beach Clubs.
It's quite hard to think of negatives but if I had to suggest improvements, the balcony furniture is a little old and rustic, the housekeeping radios can be heard from inside the rooms as they walk by especially early in the morning, old bathrooms could use modernisation. To extend my stay (because it was so nice) I had to check out and bring all my luggage to reception storage and check back in at 3pm to a different room (which had an older bathroom) - this could be an area where the reservations team could have a better system for guests extending instead of being treated as a new reservation. The TV reception is not great on some channels. You can faintly hear Coco Bongo Club at night.
Don't hesitate to stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, two blocks from the beach and just around the corner from 5th Avenue. Air conditioning, Cable TV, telephone, fan, private bath or shower, bathroom amenity kit, safety box, hair dryer, coffee maker,minibar. Junior Suites and Superior Junior suites feature a Jacuzzi indoors or Rooftop, bath robes, slippers, flat screen tv. Spa services, Pool bar, happy hour, wifi, onsite restaurant Como Como Osteria Mediterranea, solarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Tortuga Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Tortuga Hotel And Spa
- La Tortuga Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- La Tortuga Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel La Tortuga
- La Tortuga Hotel & Spa Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico