“Not as good as it looks - Do not take family concierge!”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #33 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Taubate, SP
“Not as good as it looks - Do not take family concierge!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My familynad I stayed there for a week, was not impressed, the food is nothing above avarege, the room was not properly clean we had to ask more than once for them to get it done, we bought an upgrade to the family concier as we got there. The family concierge is a FRAUDE, nothing different from any other gests, they say there is a private pool, but everyone was using it, they say you would have a better room, I got to a point that all I wanted was a clean one.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Keylla
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate that you chose Paradisus for your holidays and assure you that the issues which you experienced during your recent stay are not the norm here.

We regret very much that we did not impress you with some of our services, especially because we have the highest satisfaction scores in Family Concierge which is where you stayed.

Family Concierge counts on extremely well training staff always willing to fulfill the most demanding requests from our guests, therefore we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and we are also really grateful for your comments as we can learn from our guests to keep improving our services.

Rest assure you that we have discussed your notes with the different managers involved in order to provide you a great experience during your next visit.

Best regards,

Alan Becerril
Quality Manager
alan.becerril@melia.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

When you're a 15 year old boy like me, going on vacation with your family isn't the easiest thing to do. Leaving your friends back home for a week or so and hanging out with your siblings isn't my kind of vacation. When I arrived at the resort I was amazed by the interior design and and the overall mood/vibe the resort was giving me. I went straight to the pool the first day and could not stop drinking mango tango's at the bar that Miguel was serving by the swim up bar. While my vacation was proceeding I thankfully met a lot of people from around the east coast including the US. We all hung out as much as we can trying to know one another and honestly I cannot thank the staff enough for making this vacation one of my favorites. The staff that really stood out for me were Martin, Guillman, Giovanni and Mario. If you ever do visit try to go out of your way just to find these four, they will make your vacation much more enjoyable. Martin tried his hardest to gather us all up and in no time we all met and I cannot thank him enough for all his hard work and brilliant ideas. Guillman and Giovanni were there for my little brother and his friends always having fun activities for them to enjoy. Mario was at the front desk and was always on top of things, he would direct us everywhere on the first day and really had a good sense of humor. Even now being back for the past 5 days, I still talk to my friends that I have met at Paradisus and hopefully will talk to them for a long time. Although with security hot on our trail every night from a small incident and the small lack of organization when it comes to reservations for the restaurants at night, I literally had the time of my life. The food was delicious even for an all inclusive and the service was just near perfect. Try the buffet every now and again and see if you can get the concierge rooms, they are worth it with the view and heated pool. It was hard to leave Paradisus with all these great memories. This resort is really worth it, you'll have an unbelievable time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with the view of the ocean and with the concierge suites.
2 Thank Xavier K
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We arrived at Paradisus La Esmeralda after two awful nights at another hotel. Arriving to a cold, scented towel and a cold drink were wonderful treats and the small niceties that we have begun to associate with better hotels in the region. As we entered the reception area, my husband and children were immediately offered a cold drink and a tour while I checked in. I was ushered to the sofa's to sit and enjoy my Don Julio margarita until it was my turn to check in. We arrived early at the resort (1 pm) and as check in wasn't until 3. We were offered a complimentary upgrade to a swim up suite which was fantastic. Bell service held our other bags until we were ready to go to our room. Our children were immediately mesmerized by the pirate pool and the huge "Wipeout" type inflatable toy in the larger pool. We spent MANY hours playing in and enjoying those pools. There were abundant palapa/cabana's available on a first come/first serve basis. These were fantastic and our three year old took naps there on two occasions. Our room was beautiful although the Junior Suite was a tight squeeze for our family of four (two children, 3 and 5). It also didn't allow any privacy. The balcony was very nice to read on in the evenings after the children had fallen asleep. The beach was lovely(but small) with plentiful chairs - although this is a major thoroughfare into PDC so many locals walked through during the day creating quite a lot of traffic. We didn't notice the seaweed/grass that I see in some photos, although we usually went to the beach in the afternoons, so perhaps it was cleaned by then? I won't go on for pages about our stay, but will do a quick - The Great, The Okay, The Not-So-Great.

The Great
Food (fantastic, we loved the morning Smoothie and Omelet stations), the a la cartes were great (Mole - Mexican needs improvement - no Quesadilla's for the kids? Really?)
Restaurant Service (very customer focused and pleasing)
Drinks (all top shelf - Don Julio, Grey Goose, etc)
Pools (our swim out was a little chilly in the morning but fine by afternoon. Pirate pool was fine).
Service - the pool and beach service (food and drink) were incredible.
Activities - they offered bracelet making, pottery painting (they even fired it for us), etc daily by the pool. Our five year old LOVED this!
Coke products in the minibar - woohooo!
Abundant Pool Towels - We love not having towel cards and being able to have more than one towel throughout the day
Pool Side Cabana's - so comfortable and abundant!

The Okay
Beer - Only Dos Equis on tap (which we like) but another option would be nice
Beach - It is narrow and there is a lot of traffic however they have tons of beach tools for children to use so we didn't have to buy/lug our beach toys everyday
Bracelets - They still require that you wear a resort bracelet (nylon and wood - not amusement park plastic)
Kids Club - we didn't use it, however we saw that the kids were watching tv rather than doing activities. My husband did take our daughter to the trampoline session one day and said that the kids had a blast. They asked him to stay (she is five), which we had no problem doing.

The Not So Great
Housekeeping - our toiletries weren't ever replaced, our minibar was not restocked as requested (despite tipping extra) and our room was not regularly cleaned (we came back from the beach at 5 one night and the room had yet to be touched. It took 45 minutes to get fresh towels)

The travertine floors made for a slippery experience after coming in out of the swim up pool or out of the shower. Not sure how to fix this, but I think someone is going to take a nasty spill if there isn't a fix.

We would return with our children in a HEARTBEAT! We all had a wonderful time and we'd love to go back. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Room Tip: We were in a Junior Suite, room 2060 and had great sunlight for the swim out pool all day long.
3 Thank winterinns
Needham, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I am a 15 year old boy from the east coast so the weather to me was unbelievable. It rained for like 3 minutes out of the 7 days i was there. This was a great trip! The hotel itself is new so they need to figure out some things to make it run a bit smoother but it was great and i had no huge complaints. The staff is what made the trip fun. A couple of staff that especially made the trip great was Martin, Carlos, Giovanni, Guillman, and James. Even though the hotel is very adult oriented at night these people that I listed were always energetic and set up a lot of teen stuff. Martin, Carlos, giovanni and james always set up great activities, always made us laugh and brought us all together. Martin brought us boys together with all the girls making a big teen group. We were from all over! a bunch from different parts of canada and some from the east coast. We all became good friends and thanks to martin are already communicating with each other. I arrived back home last night and already miss it. If you go be sure to meet these people. They really make the trip great! Oh also, go to the restaurants....they are great. The food and buffet is awesome too! Its a boy teenagers dream! Ask for a mango tango at the bar too it is delicious.

2 Thank Callen M
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

There were so many friendly and great staff that would take care of my children while I was in the spa. Everything is inclusive, room service, restaurants, and snacks. I would very much recommend the Kids Club for your children. They go bungee jumping (for free) and I got to watch my 11, 10, 7, and 4 year old jump on it (I do also have a 16 year old) . The two Kids Club staff members that your should look for are Claudia and Nadia. Those two staff members made my children laugh and have the time of their lives. It was truly like they were there parents that were fun and energetic. In the pool there is a inflatable obstacle course that my children would have a blast on! They would race and do a sort of Hunger Games battle where they would try to be the last one standing and nobody gets hurt! There are also two other staff members that were the best as well! Guilliman and Matin. Guilliman was the towel shack member at the family concierge and he would bring a big smile to my children's face. He taught them how to yo-yo and preform the Mexican Tornado. He is really amazing. Martin is the teen entertainment and my 16 year old adored him. She would get out and play water polo with the other teens at the pool. Because of Martin, she made a posse that would roam around at night. She would dance and have the best time. I would say the entertainment at night lacks just a bit because there is no kid show, the only show is at 9:30 and my younger kids would have already been asleep. Every 2 months I think there is a Lion King production and all of my kids were asked to participate. My eldest and her posse, and my littles. They had costumes, make-up, and only one rehearsal, but it turned out really great! I would suggest going to this magnificent place!

Room Tip: Do not chose ocean view, waste of money. The ones that have the jacuzzi's also have a dining roo...
1 Thank Bob B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
1.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,180 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!