Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$276
US$242
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$356
US$309
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$150
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Coco Beach(Playa del Carmen)
US$155
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Be Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$402
US$287
Melia.com
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$363/night.

Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$154
US$121
US$423
US$294
Melia.com
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$448/night.

US$410
US$344
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$2,396
Hotelpower.com
2,097 results
All reviewsambar restaurantcevichepatio suitegolf cartoutdoor tubbeachfront casitaamber restaurantcigar loungesteam roomall inclusive resortwalk in closetconcierge officepool barquiet resortspa areadouble showerbreakfast and lunch
Reviewed 4 March 2015 via mobile

We booked this hotel last fall and went in feb 2015. At the time we had booked we didn't realize it was an all inclusive resort - we tend to avoid all inclusive resorts because usually the service, quality of food is mediocre, and I don't drink nor do we eat much. Not to mention the crowd can be a little interesting (a.k.a MTV spring break). However this resort had a nice mix of people, a mellow crowd which is what we prefer.

The rooms were beautiful as well as the grounds. Food was good considering the all inclusive package. My only complaint- the hotel was understaffed. The first day we spent at the beach went back to our room at 4:00 pm and it still had not been cleaned, when we called the front desk they said it was bc a large group had just checked in.

Service at breakfast was painful at times, you had to beg for coffee. Again, the individual staff members were great, they just needed more help. One bit of advice, take about $200 USD in smaller bills so you can tip throughout your stay. Since it's all inclusive there's no way to tip with credit card.

This was our third trip to Playa Del Carmen. We've stayed at The Banyan Tree Mayakoba which hands down is our eat choice. Also stayed at Le Reve which is a boutique hotel right on the beach, is a lot more affordable, obviously doesn't have all the bells and whistles. That being said, Blue Diamond is a nice in between especially for the value.

• Stayed: February 2015
5  Thank kikislc
Reviewed 3 March 2015

My husband and I went for a last minute holiday to relax. We could not have found a more perfect place for us!!! The food was exceptional!!! We were impressed with all the restaurants and could not have asked for more. The staff was fantastic, they were friendly and went above and beyond all expectations. Cesar would show up at the end of the pier with champagne bucket with bottles of beer and water for us. The servers at Ambar couldn't have been any better and the food was amazing. We booked a junior suite and couldn't believe how large the room was ( not to mention the best bathroom ever!!). We loved the quiet atmosphere and the beautiful property had us relaxed in no time. We have been to the Mayan Riviera quite a few times and were ready to start trying new destinations until we got to the Blue Diamond-once we got here we wanted to come back!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are large and impressive.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bthiessen733
Reviewed 2 March 2015

Overall stay: Fantastic. Now for some details.
Ambiance: This is a quiet place. No hawkers, the ever-present time share folks were not too pushy.
Food: Very good, no buffets, eating took a long pleasant time.
Place: Unique in that the suites are either located on a river, cenote or the ocean. We had our own private little yard in our Jr. Suite. I enjoyed reading in the shade, whereas some of the other suites were very much in the direct sun. (We were in 332) The air con could have been better. There is a long lovely road that runs through this which would be too long to do every time you went somewhere from our suite. But bikes came and I like riding bikes. Just make sure to mark your bike with a personal item so it isn't taken by someone who doesn't know the bikes are assigned, as ours were 'stolen' and it took two days to get different ones. Also, golf carts are very prompt to pick you up.
Staff: very polite and helpful. Tipping was a mystery. I wish there was a 'no personal tipping' policy and that guests would be told to save their tips for the end of their stay when they would put tips in an envelope to be distributed to the folks who earned a special favour. I feel that uncontrolled tipping would tempt staff to prefer some people over others, and there is a gratuity included in the price, so people sort of cook their own goose when they start throwing money around beyond that.
Freebees: Cooking class and snorkelling outside the beach included. I enjoyed both. I wish I had taken a $50.00 sailing lesson as I could have used the boat for free after that. Treatments at the spa are not free, but use of the pool there, and sauna and steam room are. I did not need to be hotter than I already was. But it is a beautiful spa.
Room: 332 is sort of in the middle of the long road and it is a good walk to anywhere. I'm glad we got bikes! But ours had a lush, private little backyard on the river where I did a lot of reading in the shade. The river trickled by and it was just lovely. Our walk in closet had a part of the floor rotting. It felt like we might fall through it. We did not ask to be moved. The room was large and lovely with a king bed which was not hard as a rock, but very comfy. The pillows were a bit high so I used a flatter couch pillow. Nice fluffy duvet, not like sleeping under two kleenxes. The minibar was always stocked.
There is no nightlife to speak of. At least we sure didn't hear any. It was so quiet in our room. Didn't hear anything but the wind in the leaves.
Beach: okay, just like any other on this stretch. BUT turn left and walk all the way down to the Hacienda Tres Rios (1/2 hour) and use their beach and bring your snorkel, as their beach has a cenote river delta on it and is perfectly wonderful.
This resort is a bit far from Playa for my liking as I love to use public transport and simply walk around the local town.
wi-fi was sketchy in our room. Not too bad tho. watching a video was not really possible.
Facilities: If you were resort shopping by walking down the beach, you would not be drawn to this one by what you see from the beach. Yet, once in the resort, you see that they constantly work to keep the walkways free of debris, the river and cenote are cleaned all the time, but I would say the aquamarine restaurant could use a facelift. It is quite echo-y and not aesthetically pleasing. But really, it is unique setting, built around a river and cenote with 20' walls. But I wish they would provide little boats to toddle around the cenote in. It is an unused asset if you ask me.
Food: Great. I like to try unusual things, and there is a really good variety on the menu, and the drinks were good. Pumpkin flower omelette, blue cheese ice-cream…sounds weird but boy it was yummy. The BBQ was so so. But then, Canadians are mad BBQers.
Excursions: we did the Akumel excursion and enjoyed snorkelling in the cenote cave and with the sea turtles. But Tulum was so crowded and hot and since we had already seen ruins years ago, I would not suggest that spot. If you do go, wear a swimsuit to cool off at the beach. There are no changing houses that I saw.
The difference: When you arrive at Blue Diamond, you might be the only couple in the being beautiful lobby. You are personally greeted by a host and offered a nice cocktail and a truffle. You are personally shown around and delivered to your room. It is a very nice place.

Room Tip: the cluster of four suites where we were (332) had a nice inner courtyard. One of them had a pond that constantly made constant glooping noises in the drain. Ours had a grassed 7 foot lump with a water feature. Each cluster has a different feature. Our room had a lovely little private backyard on the stream/river and had sun and shade. Some other suites were real sun-traps if you ask me. All the rooms are spacious. We had a double shower and really large bathroom area. and a tub in the backyard. We had to ask twice to get it filled tho. Its a cement pond you sit in.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nita w
Reviewed 1 March 2015

My husband and I went with another couple for 5 nights at the end of February 2015. This was my fourth all-inclusive in Mexico but my first time to this resort. I loved the quietness and the size of the resort. It wasn't overwhelming as some bigger resorts are and not crawling with people so you can actually relax. There were some times when it was a challenge to find shade for all four of us together but we managed.

I thought the food was fantastic. For a vegetarian, I didn't have a ton of options since I also do not eat fish but I was pleasantly surprised by everything I did have. I think the menu would get tiring if you were at the resort longer than 5 days but they do change up the daily specials. This was my first time not having a buffet and I don't know if I can ever go back to buffets again - what a difference! The staff were awesome, worked so hard - Luis is super charming and Xavi makes a great drink! It was great to be able to have lunch served poolside, the drink menu was so large it was almost overwhelming and not all sugar syrupy drinks like other places have. At times we did "dine" and spent a couple hours at dinner but where else did we have to be?

The spa was nice - being able to use the jacuzzi and steam rooms at no extra cost and then lounge at the quiet spa pool... I did participate in the temazcal ceremony which was a great experience - never been so hot in my life but it felt great to sweat.

We stayed in a palafito junior suite and had a top unit so we also had a rooftop with 2 lounge chairs which was peaceful. The roof had an outdoor shower which would have been odd to use... Our friends had a bottom palafito junior suite and they had an enclosed outdoor shower which is more user friendly. Ours had an outdoor tub but we didn't try it. I am now hooked on nespresso and looking to get my own machine... We did use our bikes to go to the spa and lobby when needed and took golf carts to go to Ambar.

Overall, I was very pleased with the resort - I think it depends on what you're looking for - if you need a lot of entertainment and events, this may not be the choice for you but if you're looking for a more peaceful, go-at-your-own-pace, read a few books kinda place, it's worth checking out!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank smiles1024
Reviewed 1 March 2015

We enjoyed our six day stay at the resort. The resort is quiet, the rooms are opulent and the beach is never crowded or noisy.
Special praise for our waiter - Luis (not sure of the spelling)- on the last night of our stay.

• Stayed: February 2015