“Amazing Anniversary Vacation”

Ranked #36 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Booked a last minute trip through Costco Travel for my wife and I to celebrate our 21st anniversary. I chose Blue Diamond Hotel because I wanted an all inclusive yet away from the hustle of any other family style resort. It was perfect and very romantic from start to finish.

Enter the modest (compared to all the others in Playa Del Carmen) and you enter into a surreal atmosphere that amazingly soothes you immediately. It was then when I knew our trip was going to be special and unique which was exactly what I was looking for. The reception area is under an opened air authentic thatch roof building and extremely impressive. Painless checkin and they quickly drove us via golf cart to our suite. Victor and Jose-Carlos were the main drivers that moved us from place to place. Young men and were so nice. Gave us advice on what to do and were at our call when ever needed. I would hire them in a second back in the states.

Room was very large with a bathroom to die for. His and hers rain showers, outdoor yet very secluded tub. Walk in closest. Private bar and a patio overlooking a ceote that my wife and I enjoyed daily. The animals were so relaxing to watch and listen to.

The restaurants were consistently appetizing. The presentation was beautiful. We dined in all the retardants and Ambar was our favorite but all were superb. Ernesto was our waiter and went out of his way to make our anniversary dinner special to include rose petals, two swans forming a heart made out of napkins and dinner suggestions for each course. He was spot one with every detail. His suggestion to have a Mexican flaming coffee to compliment dessert was so impressive my post on Facebook o the video has all my friends envious. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESTURANT AND WAITER!

AquaMarine is where we ate most breakfast and lunch meals. Once again, the staff was fantastic. Pedro served us daily, might have been by his choice or coincidence but we were happy he was. His meal suggestions and attentiveness to our needs couldn't have been more perfect. Very friendly yet very professional. Top notch waiter....request him if you can! Food at this restaurant is very good and the breakfasts are filling. Out last day and I wanted an authentic Mexican breakfast. Holly cow.......amazing. Pedro recommended the Chilaquiles with fried egg on top. No lie, one of the best and tasty breakfasts I have ever had in my life.

Our last day, (today) and my wife wanted to go shopping. We took a taxi to 5th Aveneue and were overwhelmed with shops. Nice tourist place but shop around. Prices differ greatly from place to place. A young man approached us and I told him "no thank you". Funny because it was Jôse from our resort. He was pleased to see us on his day off and took time to show us around and which restaurant would be a great place for us to get out of the sun and into the air conditioning. He went out of the way to help us which tells us a lot about the staff Blue Diamond hires.

For the cons- first of all, my wife and I would return in a heartbeat and may make this our annual trip. It is that beautiful of a resort. 1) air conditioning in resturants and room could have been cooler. 2). Mosquitos were a problem...... use the bug spray they provide or bring your own with deet!

Amazing place and can't wait to come back. Thank you Blue Diamond for a most memorable anniversary!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Gabriella C, Gerente at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Dear "Ken L",

Thank you very much for choosing Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel to spend your vacations in this amazing destination and for your awesome comments about our staff assistance, room, food and overall services.
Nothing makes us happier than to learn that the service provided was surpassing expectations and our guests receive the quality service they deserve.
We will share your nice comments with José-Carlos, Pedro, Ernesto and all the staff.
We appreciate you highlighted point by point all the aspect of your stay and your constructive comments as well, they will be taken into consideration to improve.
We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future and make more memories here at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel.
Room Division Manager
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We loved this property. With only about 120 rooms, it feels like you have the entire property to yourself. The rooms are very private, and there are plenty of open lounges and cabanas at the beach and pool. The staff was excellent, friendly, and all tried very hard to please. Bikes made getting around very easy, but we stayed at the beach or pool the entire day. There was no reason to leave the cabana--food, drinks and the pool or ocean were only steps away. Drinks were great. Food was largely excellent. Our breakfasts and lunches were all terrific, but we had one or two dinners that were just okay. We felt this was a tremendous value through Costco travel. We had a patio suite, but spent almost no time in our room. It was very spacious and we loved the bathroom with dual showers. WiFi was strong throughout the resort. Our massage was very good, and the spa facilities were excellent. This resort was exactly what we were looking for: quiet, intimate, good food and drink, nice beach and pool, and warm staff.

Room Tip: The patio suites are much more private than the palafito suites, but further from the beach/pool. W...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Gabriella C, Gerente at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear "rpboxster",

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel.
It's a pleasure to know that you ejoyed every single part of your stay, since your Patio Suite, our staff service, the breakfast and lunches, the Spa, pool and beach and that overall your stay has been satisfactory and pleasant.
It will be a pleasure to have you back at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, please feel free to contact us and we will be more than happy to assit you for your next stay.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

What initially compelled us to the Blue Diamond was its small, boutique style all-inclusive. No mass buffets, no crowded chow-halls, every meal is cooked to order and nothing short of AMAZING. If you need a setting where you can truly unwind, get some down-time and be a little pampered, this is your place. It was 5 days of heaven.

Every room is a suite, oversized and filled with fine linens and upscale toiletries. Through CostcoTravel we received a free upgrade to a Laguna Suite which included an unlimited mini bar with premium liquor, coffee service and snacks. We had fluffy bathrobes and slippers. The bathroom was amazing with two indoor his/hers rain showers enclosed in clear glass next to floor to ceiling windows. At the rear of the bathroom is a private, walled terrace with an outdoor bath. The bath is fillable with tepid water which is perfect for the hot climate. I would describe the bathroom and room decor as tropical minimalist. Dark woods, simple art, agate sinks and bright white limestone makes for a very soothing room. We also had beautiful wicker sofas and a walk in closet. Nightly turn-down service as well.

In my years of traveling the world, this is the consistently best food I've had at a resort! Three restaurants (2 casual, 1 upscale for dinner only) serve an impressive array of dishes. The Ambar is the upscale dinner restaurant and we had lobster, tenderloin and some desserts that were masterpieces. Our server was Hermino who kindly arranged for a romantic dinner for us complete with rose petals and candles. Hermino, and the other waitstaff (Sandra at AguaMarina, Ricardo at the Pool Bar) are the real reason we'll be back. The made you feel like family at the same time they effortlessly catered to your EVERY whim. I loved to exchange stories about the Mexican culture and our kids with these fine folks. They are equally adept at being completely unobtrusive and allowing you to doze by the pool in quiet reflection. I hope they are all here next year!

We spent half a day in the spa which was gender-divided. It contained the usual spa-like services. We had the option of some water sports but opted to go 100% lounge-lizard and stayed at the pool which is kinda of the epicenter of chillaxing. We snagged a pool-bed daily and meandered over to grab a bite when the mood struck us. Also had food brought to us from the Ceviche Restaurant, yum!

Lastly, you're basically in a jungle and we thoroughly enjoyed the comedic wildlife that is beloved by the staff and always around. Geronimo the Spider Monkey was happy to pose for a picture and eat a banana, the large family of Coatimundi clowned around the pool walls, Esmeralda the Croc might have been slipped a little chicken from my plate and the Iguanas, Birds and giant Guinea Pig thingy all made a cameo.

In summary, give Jose Luis at the concierge a call and he'll make you feel right at home!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JRKGirl
Gabriella C, Gerente at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience, regarding your recent stay at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, reviews like yours encourage us to keep working hard every day and keep improving all our services and facilities for your total satisfaction and when we read we have accomplish the goal with you it is very gratifying.
All comments are sent to our staff and will be shared especially with Herminio, Sandra, Ricardo, Jose Luis, they will be pleased to know that their service has been recognized, thank you! Unfortunately we cannot do the same with Geronimo, Esmeralda and all our Little friends which are part of this beautiful place.
Hope to see you back in the near future,

Reviewed 14 August 2017

This is the first time we've stayed at an all inclusive resort so I was a little skittish, especially being a bit of a "food snob" (my wife's term, not mine!). The BD provided some of the best service we've experienced anywhere in the world, and we've traveled extensively on business. Others have mentioned the same re: service, but this team really knows what they're doing.
Food was really good... think European in terms of quality & quantity. Several restaurants to choose from and menus change daily. Overall my wife and I gave the food a solid "A" grade and I'm a tough grader! If you're into wine, gratis selections are decent, but there are some nice bottles to choose from if you're willing to pay an up-charge at modest price-points. Room was very nice, my wife loved it. Gym was nicely appointed. Our only gripes, and they were minor: 1) Ambar restaurant was a bit hot the nights we went; 2) AC was decent but never got room as cool as we would normally have it. But, these are nits. Overall, an outstanding experience and would highly recommend it! We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
GeertDebruyne, DIRECTOR at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear valued guest,

We are absolutely delighted to read your amazing review regarding your latest trip to the Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, sharing your experiences with future visitors.

At the Blue Diamond we strive to keep pace with the very best.
Choice continues to be what we are all about, a greater variety of memorable experiences.
Our Quality in service you receive is another key attribute, therefore we are very pleased to realize through your comments that we were able to offer you an excellent and unforgettable experience.

We look forward to having you back very soon, and we will definitely prepare to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards
Geert Debruyne

Reviewed 13 August 2017

I want to start off by saying how much I LOVED this hotel. The service is impeccable. The staff are amazing. I used to come here back in the day when it was the Mandarin Oriental and I have to say the service and quality have held under the current management.

Now the bad part - STAY AWAY from financing your beach club membership. Not because of the hotel, but because of the institution they've chosen to do business with. If you're going to do the membership - they finance with a company called Monterrey Financial. They are constantly making mistakes in taking payments and reporting your payments properly. First I was assured that this would not be reported to the credit agencies for some odd reason after a year (with immaculate payment history) they put it on my credit which adjusted my ratios. Fine, no biggie. Then started the issues with proper payments being taken, calls saying I didn't pay when I see clearly that funds were taken at the beginning of each month in question. The last straw was some random mistake last month when they processed a payment incorrectly and caused me to incur a fee on my card. My card company had to dispute the charge after discussing the error they made with them directly. When you call to correct they are argumentative, abrasive & combative when it comes to correcting it and want you to take time out of your day after spending an hour on the phone with them to send them items to fix their mistake because they cannot find their own mistakes.

This is very telling about what kind of operation this place is running. Absolutely livid with these people on principle. Janelle Lucas in accounting at MF - this one's for you. Thanks for souring my experience with BLUE BAY. She might as well be a call center rep for a bottom rate company - her subordinates are more professional and she's supposedly a manager.

HONESTLY FOR 450.00 A YEAR YOU COULD JUST GET A PLATINUM AMEX - WITH AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR THE SAME KIND OF PERKS and have access to 6 star resorts all around the world, with again, IMPECCABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I WISH SOMEONE HAD POSTED ABOUT THIS WHEN I BOOKED SO I COULD KNOW AHEAD!!! WHILE I WILL CONTINUE TO STAY AT THE HOTEL I WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY MEMBERSHIP AFTER SPEAKING WITH JANELLE LUCAS AT MONTERREY FINANCIAL.

It's sad, because again, this is a great hotel. But I'm now loathe to refer anyone to it. I'm loathe to even use my membership - god forbid a friend or family member have these kind of experiences and remember that I connected them to it.

Blue Bay should carefully consider what kind of branding and image they want to uphold. It's being overshadowed by this financer.

Room Tip: MEMBERSHIP IN CASH. Not worth hassles w/ bottom rate financial co. Or just get a Platinum Amex, it...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Gabriella C, Gerente at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear "Alxialala",
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel.
It's great to know that you LOVE our Hotel, the staff, the service and that you will be back, nevertheless it's with regrets that we know about the issue that you had and I have already passed your comments to the department involved in order to give the necessary follow up to this situation.
Despite this situation you still rated our Hotel with 5 stars and you encourage us to keep working hard every day and keep improving all our services and facilities for your total satisfaction and when we read we have accomplish the goal with you it is very gratifying.
Please feel free to contact us it will be a pleasure to assist you and we hope to see you back soon in the near future,