Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$295
Bookit.com
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$161
US$156
Hotels.com
US$317
US$254
  • Breakfast included
Residences El Faro(Playa del Carmen)
US$170
  • Pool
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$409
  • Beachfront
La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$68
US$518
Melia.com
The Carmen Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$171
US$792
US$666
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$2,458
Hotelpower.com
7,359 results
All reviewsblue moonel charropool bardolce vitajapanese restaurantentertainment staffprivilege areaprivilege beachprivilege guestsfoam partyquiet poolbeach areathomson repprivilege packagecoco bongoactivity poolour favourite
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I stayed at Ocean Maya in April with 5 family members and it was more than I could have expected. I was a little leary by some of the reviews, but I think those people should have paid the extra money for a 5 star resort. Ocean had everything I could have wanted and more. The first day we were there I met Daniela from the entertainment staff. What a wonderful young lady. Every day the entertainment staff made sure they found us to try to get us involved. It didn't matter if it was for water polo, volleyball, beer drinking contest, water aerobics or Mr Ocean contest. They were the best!! I think if we wouldn't have met Daniela and gotten involved we wouldn't have had as much fun. It was great doing things with the ET staff during the day and then watching their shows at night. They did a great job on the shows and wish I could have seen more. I miss Daniela and have been trying to find her on Facebook, but there are hundreds of Daniela's with the same last name. We promised to stay in touch and now I can't. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
The restaurants are awesome. I wish we would have gone to them more. We ate at each one only once and I would have loved to try other dishes. I am a very picky eater, but had no trouble finding food I liked no matter where we ate.
Check out the free water activities. We waited too long into our trip and didn't get to enjoy them as much as we would have liked to. Don't be afraid to ask questions and check things out right away when you get there because your vacation will be over before you know it.
I also need to say that we stayed at Ocean with about 300 springbreakers. I would never ever choose to stay anywhere with 300 young people again, but the staff at Ocean did a good job of trying to cater to their other visitors also. I feel Ocean did the best job they could to make the best of a bad situation with all of these young people.
Thanks Ocean Maya for a great vacation!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean view is the way to go!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank stac0426
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your good comments about our Resort. It is a pleasure for us to make your holidays a great time. Also I would like to thank you on behalf of our entertainment staff, they do work very hard to make you have an unforgetable time!. Also if you would like to stay in touch with Daniela, you can email me on the address below and I can pass your details to her.
Regarding the groups of spring breakers, this was only an isolated situation. We are becoming only adults as from the 1st of May, so will not be accepting these type of groups for the next spring break.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2011

There were 6 of us in our group and we had a wonderful time at Ocean Maya Royale. The food was good and we loved the Japanese Restaurant. It was our first time at a Japanese Restaurant. So much fun and very good food. The entertainment staff were always so nice and inviting. They tried to get you involved but didn't push if you weren't up to it. Daniela was our favorite. We fell in love with her from day 1. The bartenders were great and we had a good time with them. Our favorites were Noe, Javier, and Eber. They really took care of us. We booked our trip through Travelocity and Olympus tours was our tour guide. Antonio from Olympus was awesome. He helped us book some amazingtours. We were just very happy with everything. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank gj4041

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. we would like to thank you also for your good comments about our services and the staff. We are very pleased to hear that your holidays was so good!.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2011

We traveled here with a our friends (all mid 30's) with hopes of a relaxing trip. We got just that. Having never been to Mexico, or any resort for that matter we did a lot of research and landed on Ocean Maya. We were incredibly pleased with the resort, the staff and our holiday in general and are already planning our next trip back.

We had the privilege romance suite and our friends an ocean maya deluxe room. Both were spotless and very well appointed. The shower water pressure in our room (207) was a bit laughable, but it was the larger building. Seems our friends in a villa didn't have issue at all.

Staff are excellent. They are welcoming, kind and went out of their way to help us whenever we asked. Jorge, Jose, Jesus and Manuel at El Charro were amazing! We loved having dinner there, not only because of the amazing food, but because of these guys.

The grounds were immaculately kept. We had the pleasure of seeing iguanas all the time and the coatis made the experience more authentic. We even had a gecko or two in our room.

The pools are nice, the temperature was perfect for us and we joined in a gave of water polo too. They were rarely over crowded and we never felt like it was too noisy or too many kids.

We swam in the ocean, but it wasn't the best experience. As three of us were stung by small jelly fish. That can happen anywhere though. If you do plan to go into the water, I suggest wearing aqua shoes as there are some twigs and squishy spots. It's not a place to go just for the beach experience alone.

The Spa was wonderful and I highly recommend Luis for a massage. I wish I hadn't waited until the last day to get it done.

Overall we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Ocean Maya.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gourmetsue
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I'll Start off by saying that the place is really beautiful and there is potential to offer whatever one is looking for in a vacation. That is, of course, if you are expecting to swim in the ocean...which is murky and cut off from swimming by several plastic panels which give you very little access to the beach. We arrived at night and our room had an awful smell, sort of a mix of must plus backed up sewer-like odor. We were told that if they could not fix the problem that night, we could bring our luggage back the NEXT DAYand they would change rooms for us. Yes, they said the NEXT DAY..Lucky for us, after I made a fuss they gave us another room the same night. The staff in general at best ranged from neutral to unattentive to blatantly indifferent, bordering on rude. They obviously have absolutely NO training in how to make visitors feel welcome. The front desk did NOTHING to explain anything to us...We did not even know that there was a SPA until a few days later, never mind where the SPA was. When we asked what activities there were , we were told " Look on the board near the pool" or near the theatre..what theatre? I never saw a board near the pool...... We had no idea what there was to do (since our tours did not work out)...DESPITE the fact that we asked!!....Need I say more about how useless GUEST SERVICES was? .As for the food, I dont even know what to say...most of the time it was cold and if you didnt get to the buffets very early, you got whatever was left as they did not appear to re-fill anything. The quality of the food was ridiculous...it was terrible....The desserts were the worst I'd EVER HAD ANYWHERE! Oh and then there were the raccoons and chullos running around all over the place...really would have been nice if someone would have warned you so you were not scared to death when they ran out in front of you at night....ALL IN ALL it was just not a very nice or memorable experience , in fact it was pretty awful. I would never, ever go back to this resort nor would i ever recommend it to anyone. Ive never written on Trip Advisor before , Im not just writing to complain but Im seriously trying to prevent someone from wasting their hard earned money. Im also hoping that someone important from OCEAN MAYA reads this and sincerely tries to do something about how they treat their visitors who work hard for their money and expect to go on vacation and enjoy themselves and be treated well. It does not feel very good to feel unwelcomed in another country. There was one Mexican gentlemen and I do wish I had gotten his name, b/c he was the only person who went out of his way and tried to make us feel welcome. For him we were very grateful.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Virgormt

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your comments on tripadvisor. Our staff work very hard to make your stay very confortable, unfortunately in your case, we apologize for all the disapointments that you may had during your stay and I can ensure you that they do not match with our quality standards. We will be taking all your comments under consideration to improve our services for our future guest.

Reviewed 17 April 2011

Our family had a fabulous time at Ocean Maya in March......and we all want to live there! Maria, the Assistant GM was incredibly gracious and went above and beyond in everything. In fact, all of the staff exceeded expectations and the activities staff are among the best in the business. Susanna, Lorena.......thank you for taking such great care of my girls! My chldren wanted to bring Susanna home to go to university in Toronto and live with us.....
I was very impressed with the food and the service in all restaurants. The Japanese spot is tons of fun if you're at the hibachi table!
The resort is lovely.....the grounds.....the buildings......everything. I loved it because it felt intimate and everyone said hello. So relaxing......so fabulous......Really. Do yourself a favour and reserve at this resort. You won't be disappointed.
Maria.............................thank you.
Janice and Len

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank sunwander

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and thank you also for remember so many names from our team. I will let them know how great they manage to make your vacation. It was also a pleasure for me to have you here at the Hotel.
We hope that you come back to visit us very soon!

Kind regards