Ocean Maya Royale
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$285
  • Pool
US$322
US$237
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$385
US$269
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$397
US$334
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$252
US$202
US$1,852
Melia.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$577
US$305
  • Beachfront
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,148
US$703
Bookit.com
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,299
US$1,208
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$504
US$484
7,140 results
All reviewsblue moonel charropool bardolce vitajapanese restaurantentertainment staffprivilege areaprivilege beachprivilege guestsfoam partyquiet poolbeach areathomson repprivilege packagecoco bongoour favouriteactivity pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed at Ocean Maya for a week with two of my friends. I couldnt have asked for a better vacation spot!! The staff is extremely friendly and will remember you all week. They will do anything for you. The grounds are beautiful, and small enough to walk around in the Mexico heat without getting tired. There are a lot of dining options, although the buffet had the same breakfast/lunch/dinner all week. As a vegetarian, I pretty much ate rice and potatoes and bread all week. The italian restaurant, Dolce Vita, was my favorite.

Down by the pool all day is extremely fun. The entertainment staff is there for hours in the morning and afternoon, getting you involved in volleyball, dance lessons, games, and water aerobics. I even did yoga one morning. It was very fun. They also provide entertainment in the theater at night,

The pools were very nice. One more lively with swim-up bar and jetted area, and one with volleyball nets, a deep-end, and the entertainment staff. The beach was a few steps away, with both a boardwalk along the wall of the ocean, and a beach front to swim/lay out. There is also a pier to walk out on and beach volleyball nets.

I got a massage on the beach, which was very relaxing with the sound of the waves around me.

The rooms were great, Every room is a villa and in walking distance to everything. It seemed to me like you couldn't get a bad view, although it seems like villas 1-10 were the best area to stay-- close to pool, restaurants, and beaches. (I stayed in 7)

At night, the one bar open at the lobby is pretty busy... and there are shows everynight. They even put on plays, and had karaoke. After 11pm, there is not really anything else to do... either go to bed, or go down to Playa del Carmen.

If relaxing is your thing, there is a nice hammock area to lounge in and get some shade. That helped me when I had a major sunburn!

I will definitley be staying here again soon.

Room Tip: villas 1-10 for beach/pool closeness
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank laurendoeshair
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very for writing such a nice review about our Hotel and we are very happy to read that you did fully enjoy your stay with us. Our main concern is always that our guests have the best time here with us.

We hope that you come back soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2011

Stayed April 16 - 23, solo trip. Checkin was easy, in my 2nd room with ocean view balcony, king sized bed, in 20 minutes. Rolled my luggage there myself. Called hospitality to do something with bed, too hard, as most reviewers already stated, service arrived in 20 mins with blankets to use as padding under bed sheets. After that, room service cleaned daily between 4 and 5 PM, Room refridgerator was stocked daily by a different service, always replenished supplies. I was in Bldg 36 at the end of the resort. Long walk back to lobby, buffet and Japanese Restaurant, but short walk to Italian restaurant, pools and beach. Room has a safe that you need to carry a key for, it's not a digital, programmable type.
Food: Decent breakfast buffet, omelet station where I selected and measured out my ingredients to the chef - peppers, mushrooms, ham, tomatoes and onion. Fresh fruit, bananas, melons, pineapples, papayas, but no mangoes. I did lunches in the poolside cafe, pretty much same stuff every day, rice with either a pork or beef medley, (pork was much better) and grill with burgers, fish fillets, or pork. I had dinner in the Japanese Restaurant 3X, Italian twice, and buffet twice, liked the Japanese best, sushi and assorted appetizers and Szeuchan fish was my fav.
Pools - 2 large, one has a swim up bar. Activities included water polo, volleyball, aerobics. One pool has a set aside kiddy area.
Beach - lots of palapas, lounges were same as Carnival cruise line. Sand was nice. For the first four days, lots of black seaweed and gunk washed ashore, staff spent lots of time raking up the gooey stuff. No one used the ocean water, not only at this hotel, but also at the two immediate to the north, Blue Bay and Tres Rio, and the two to the south, Secrets and Mandarin Oriental. Water was an ugly grayish/green, waves were splashing up black, not the typical caribbean blue that one sees in the Yucatan. Day trip to Playa Del Carmen showed no signs of this gunk, and travellers I met staying at Maroma said their water quality was fine. So I'm not sure if this was a local aberation, or a constant happening at this stretch of beach. But after 25 trips to the Yucatan, I love to enjoy the ocean water, and this was the only time I felt deprived.
I was glad that a previous poster mentioned walking the beach to the left up past Tres Rio, where a small stream worked its way through mangroves and out to the ocean, it was the only clear clean water I saw throughout these 5 resorts.
Service - I found the Ocean employees cheerful and helpful. I speak a little bit of Spanish, and my efforts were both appreciated and a source of good natured laughter.
Grounds - well manicured, lots of flora marked with name signs. There are mangroves on the property, and they do emit a "sewer" smell, and if you get a room near them, you may want to change. Some iguanas and coatimundis habitat the grounds, good for picture taking. There is a nice manmade waterfall garden below the lobby area.
Overall: Good hotel with good service, decent pools and slightly better than average food. Good value. Only drawback for me was the water.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert S

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am glad to see that overall you had a nice time here with us. Regarding the beach, unfortunately we can not do nothing about nature and sometimes seaweed comes due to the proximity to the Coral Reef, but I can asure you that we have a full team of beach boys that will clean it constantly in these days.

We hope to see you soon!,

Reviewed 22 April 2011

I stayed at Ocean Maya in April with 5 family members and it was more than I could have expected. I was a little leary by some of the reviews, but I think those people should have paid the extra money for a 5 star resort. Ocean had everything I could have wanted and more. The first day we were there I met Daniela from the entertainment staff. What a wonderful young lady. Every day the entertainment staff made sure they found us to try to get us involved. It didn't matter if it was for water polo, volleyball, beer drinking contest, water aerobics or Mr Ocean contest. They were the best!! I think if we wouldn't have met Daniela and gotten involved we wouldn't have had as much fun. It was great doing things with the ET staff during the day and then watching their shows at night. They did a great job on the shows and wish I could have seen more. I miss Daniela and have been trying to find her on Facebook, but there are hundreds of Daniela's with the same last name. We promised to stay in touch and now I can't. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
The restaurants are awesome. I wish we would have gone to them more. We ate at each one only once and I would have loved to try other dishes. I am a very picky eater, but had no trouble finding food I liked no matter where we ate.
Check out the free water activities. We waited too long into our trip and didn't get to enjoy them as much as we would have liked to. Don't be afraid to ask questions and check things out right away when you get there because your vacation will be over before you know it.
I also need to say that we stayed at Ocean with about 300 springbreakers. I would never ever choose to stay anywhere with 300 young people again, but the staff at Ocean did a good job of trying to cater to their other visitors also. I feel Ocean did the best job they could to make the best of a bad situation with all of these young people.
Thanks Ocean Maya for a great vacation!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean view is the way to go!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank stac0426
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your good comments about our Resort. It is a pleasure for us to make your holidays a great time. Also I would like to thank you on behalf of our entertainment staff, they do work very hard to make you have an unforgetable time!. Also if you would like to stay in touch with Daniela, you can email me on the address below and I can pass your details to her.
Regarding the groups of spring breakers, this was only an isolated situation. We are becoming only adults as from the 1st of May, so will not be accepting these type of groups for the next spring break.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2011

There were 6 of us in our group and we had a wonderful time at Ocean Maya Royale. The food was good and we loved the Japanese Restaurant. It was our first time at a Japanese Restaurant. So much fun and very good food. The entertainment staff were always so nice and inviting. They tried to get you involved but didn't push if you weren't up to it. Daniela was our favorite. We fell in love with her from day 1. The bartenders were great and we had a good time with them. Our favorites were Noe, Javier, and Eber. They really took care of us. We booked our trip through Travelocity and Olympus tours was our tour guide. Antonio from Olympus was awesome. He helped us book some amazingtours. We were just very happy with everything. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank gj4041

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. we would like to thank you also for your good comments about our services and the staff. We are very pleased to hear that your holidays was so good!.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2011

We traveled here with a our friends (all mid 30's) with hopes of a relaxing trip. We got just that. Having never been to Mexico, or any resort for that matter we did a lot of research and landed on Ocean Maya. We were incredibly pleased with the resort, the staff and our holiday in general and are already planning our next trip back.

We had the privilege romance suite and our friends an ocean maya deluxe room. Both were spotless and very well appointed. The shower water pressure in our room (207) was a bit laughable, but it was the larger building. Seems our friends in a villa didn't have issue at all.

Staff are excellent. They are welcoming, kind and went out of their way to help us whenever we asked. Jorge, Jose, Jesus and Manuel at El Charro were amazing! We loved having dinner there, not only because of the amazing food, but because of these guys.

The grounds were immaculately kept. We had the pleasure of seeing iguanas all the time and the coatis made the experience more authentic. We even had a gecko or two in our room.

The pools are nice, the temperature was perfect for us and we joined in a gave of water polo too. They were rarely over crowded and we never felt like it was too noisy or too many kids.

We swam in the ocean, but it wasn't the best experience. As three of us were stung by small jelly fish. That can happen anywhere though. If you do plan to go into the water, I suggest wearing aqua shoes as there are some twigs and squishy spots. It's not a place to go just for the beach experience alone.

The Spa was wonderful and I highly recommend Luis for a massage. I wish I hadn't waited until the last day to get it done.

Overall we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Ocean Maya.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple