“Ocean Maya Royale: Fun Girls Trip”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ranked #42 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Maya Royale a few weeks ago. This was a girls trip for 4 girls in their late 20s and we had a great time.

PROs: The value was fantastic. Purcahsed the deal on tripadvisor and paid a very economical rate for 6 days. The grounds were well maintained and very pretty, with flowers blooming and luscious greenery all over. We were traveling with a friend who had a leg injury and they accomodated our room request to be close to the beach which was very nice. Had a really fun time partying at night, recommend sticking to the beer and wine as the mixed drinks were very watered down.

CONS: Although the staff was friendly, nobody seems to know anything. We had asked about dining options and nobody seemed informed about which restaurants were open at which times. There should be light lunch options such as a snack bar or poolside menu to order from so you don't have to eat at the dining buffet. Food overall was just OK, as you would expect at an all-inclusive. Also, they told us we can order room service at any time, yet never answered the phone.

Overall, we had a very nice stay. We got exactly what we expected based on previous reviews. I like to always try new places so probably wouldn't be back to Playa del Carmen, but if you are looking for a relaxing trip with great weather, this is the place to be!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeeDee1101
OcMaya, Manager at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive comments but also the points that need atention to. I can assure you that our staff works very hard to make all our guests happy, but we will be paying atention to the point that you have made to give the best atention to our future guests.

We hope to see you soon!

Kind regards,

Maria Lopez
Subdirectora
subdireccion.hhm@h10.es

Write a ReviewReviews (6,976)

Reviewed 26 April 2011

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the H10 Ocean Maya Royale last week. We booked it based on reviews we had read and the fact that the price was certainly right. We could not have picked a better resort at which to spend a very relaxing and lazy week. Our check-in was seamless. I really appreciated how the bell staff didn’t fight with us to carry our bags when we opted to take them ourselves.

The grounds of this hotel are phenomenal. So well kept; we saw people working on them all day every day, pruning, clipping, washing. Everyone there is quick with a “Hola” or “Buenos Dias” as you walk past. Our room was great as well. My wife told our travel agent that we’d like a garden view. That short of shocked me as we were headed to the ocean but the view we got was great.

We were on the second floor of a villa type unit looking right into the canopy of a small jungle that separated us from the next villa. We were in building 25 which is a quick jaunt to the lobby and about a 5 minute stroll to the pools and beach. This gives a great opportunity to see the natural wildlife, lemurs, iguanas, birds, a cat, some other cool lizard that fans its neck and runs away on its hind legs, countless birds and geckos. Seeing the native wildlife is one of the great things about traveling. The critters we saw either ignored us or ran away. Some reviews have said the beds were hard. I'd call them firm and say that we had no trouble sleeping at all.

The food was very good. There are three a la carte restaurants and the buffet. We were able to eat all our evening meals at the a la cartes and preferred the show at the Japanese, the venue at the Italian and the food at the Mexican. You will read other people’s complaints about the food at the Japanese and Italian restaurants but think for a minute about what kind of burrito you would get in Tokio or Milan. They do a very good job with the food here, the baking is exquisite. We ate all kinds of buns and pastries that were very tasty. One of my biggest missions of the day was exploring the buffet to see what I could get them to put in my made to order omelets – so good. Sadly my wife only tried her first one on our last day. Prior to that she’d been enjoying the fresh fruit, yogurt and granola for breakfast.

The pool and beach are great. There are two pools, one with a swim up bar and one without and three beach areas. There is a beach area to the North from which you can see a pier and watch the volleyball court. In the middle there is a raised boardwalk area (some reviewers have called it a wall, but it’s a board walk) that has a railing with Plexiglas inserts to block the wind so people who choose this section of the beach are protected. Then to the South there is a third beach area from which you can swim or take out a catamaran or jet ski. The para-sailing also leaves from near here. You won’t find any better service anywhere than that which you receive from Azucena at the beach. She was working the boardwalk section when we were there. She is the ‘white flower’ that her name means. Every time she sees you she says hi and remembers your drink orders perfectly even if you, like me, switch from time to time.

A couple of times the resort set up a little souvenir market in the main square. This was very nice as the vendors here understand their privilege of being on the resort and don’t harass you or make you feel compelled to buy anything. There is also a souvenir vendor every day beside the one pool.

My five pieces of advice are:
1: go to the dollar store and get yourself a soap dish. The bathrooms are beautiful but the sink space is modern and sparse so a soap dish will keep you from messing up the counter.
2: while our room did have an input for our iPod to the alarm clock it was a mono clock so if you are big into your music bring your own speakers. If you are not then it doesn’t matter one bit.
3: change your money to pesos before you go down. If you are going from Canada and there’s a Travellex in the airport they will buy back any unused pesos when you get back at no charge. Mexico is trying very hard to encourage the use of the Peso so some places won’t take dollars.
4: eat at a Tapanyaki table in the Japanese restaurant early in your stay. The show is great and you’ll get a chance to sit with some other visitors and make some good friends
5: always keep your camera with you ‘cause you never know when one of the friends you met at the Tapanyaki table will all of a sudden take off because she’s finally seen her first lemur and wants to get a closer look.

11  Thank PegLeg-and-SherBear
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Just got back from this holiday, there is really nothing to do at this hotel. Only the lobby bar is open at night-snooze fest. The beds are like sleeping on a box spring. Paid for the Priviledge upgrade-big mistake..there are no reservations needed at the restaurants unless you upgrade and they don't tell you where to get the reservations anyway. The bar is suppose to be premium with the upgrade which I figured would be great but the only thing premium is the actual liquor, no beer or wine upgrade, hard to drink draft beer for a week and the Vodka I like they kept running out of it everyday anyway so...also there was no room upgrade and was told they had no sea view rooms anyway (there was certainly sea view rooms) So basically I paid 300.00 dollars for a couple of drinks of premium vodka (lucky me) if the barstaff would even get around to serving you. They basically ignored you if you were not a young good looking girl or a guy.

3  Thank gonetosnorkel
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We arrived early on our first day (a Saturday) and our rooms weren't going to be ready until 3pm. That was fine, we planned ahead and changed into our swimsuits, headed to the buffet for a late breakfast, toured the grounds, and lounged by the pool until our room was ready. At 3pm our room was ready, one of the kindest bellman (I regret not getting his name, as he helped us a few times getting taxis and information) helped us to our room and showed us where everything was. We enjoyed the food in all three of the restaurants and the buffet, for those that complained I honestly believe they are the type of people that are never happy. Get over yourselves! Perhaps your attitudes may have created a snowball effect and that was why you had an unenjoyable stay, because ours was fantastic. The Japanese restaurant was definitely our favorite. The Hostess Estela at the buffet and Mexican restaurant/snack hut was always cheerful and helped me with my Spanish lessons :) That girl put in some crazy long hours but never complained, always had a huge smile and recognized us each time! We booked a couple of excursions for the Monday, and then booked a couple's massage at the spa to recoup on the Tues morning! WOW! I really tried to get Luis to come back to Canada with me, but couldn't convince him! The prices are incredibly good, as a person who works in the spa/beauty industry here, we got amazing deals! The grounds are gorgeous! Immaculately kept, with people working tirelessly everyday! We found our 'happy' spot for the days we stayed put at the edge of the one pools, where it meets the beach. Karina, one of the servers from the pool bar fast became my new best friend! Always a great smile, super quick and fun to joke around with! She is amazing. The beach is fine, it's the ocean, sometimes you are going to get some seaweed. If you want to hang out at a nicer beach then head into Playa Del Carmen, bring your suit and hang out there. The bartenders at the lobby bar are a fun, great, mischievous bunch! ;) Always having fun with us and made some pretty powerful and yummy drinks!!! The coffee lounge fast became my favorite place after dinner for the yummiest lattes! The entertainment staff were adorable. They put on some cute shows in the evening and tried their best to get people involved. Once we discovered the beach volleyball on the Thursday we were happy! Overall, it was a fantastic vacation! It's what you make it in the end. Every staff member from maintenance to front desk were quick to offer up a hello (Ola) or assistance of any kind. We would definitely go back without hesitation! Keep up the great work!

8  Thank Sportsmom22
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed at Ocean Maya for a week with two of my friends. I couldnt have asked for a better vacation spot!! The staff is extremely friendly and will remember you all week. They will do anything for you. The grounds are beautiful, and small enough to walk around in the Mexico heat without getting tired. There are a lot of dining options, although the buffet had the same breakfast/lunch/dinner all week. As a vegetarian, I pretty much ate rice and potatoes and bread all week. The italian restaurant, Dolce Vita, was my favorite.

Down by the pool all day is extremely fun. The entertainment staff is there for hours in the morning and afternoon, getting you involved in volleyball, dance lessons, games, and water aerobics. I even did yoga one morning. It was very fun. They also provide entertainment in the theater at night,

The pools were very nice. One more lively with swim-up bar and jetted area, and one with volleyball nets, a deep-end, and the entertainment staff. The beach was a few steps away, with both a boardwalk along the wall of the ocean, and a beach front to swim/lay out. There is also a pier to walk out on and beach volleyball nets.

I got a massage on the beach, which was very relaxing with the sound of the waves around me.

The rooms were great, Every room is a villa and in walking distance to everything. It seemed to me like you couldn't get a bad view, although it seems like villas 1-10 were the best area to stay-- close to pool, restaurants, and beaches. (I stayed in 7)

At night, the one bar open at the lobby is pretty busy... and there are shows everynight. They even put on plays, and had karaoke. After 11pm, there is not really anything else to do... either go to bed, or go down to Playa del Carmen.

If relaxing is your thing, there is a nice hammock area to lounge in and get some shade. That helped me when I had a major sunburn!

I will definitley be staying here again soon.

Room Tip: villas 1-10 for beach/pool closeness