7,751 results
All reviews blue moon el charro dolce vita pool bar japanese restaurant entertainment staff privilege area privilege beach foam party privilege guests quiet pool beach area privilege package our favourite coco bongo activity pool main bar
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Visited this superb hotel for Xmas, what a revelation. I thought we always chose decent hotels as we go away quite a lot but this one far exceeds any we have been to recently. I had not been to one of the H10 group before but we certainly will again.
This hotel has the most clean rooms and grounds that I have seen in a while. The entertainment staff put in so much effort for the guests almost all day long and the restaurant and bar staff are to be complimented, didn't matter how busy it was, they always remembered you and what you drink.
Perfect retreat and the bonus was adults only. Downside - a little remote, about £30 return taxi ride into Playa Del Carmen, we went and ate there, brilliant it was as well, but we found that as there was so much going on at the hotel, it didn't really matter that much.
I cannot praise this hotel enough, so much so that we tried to book direct for next year only to be told its full already. But since we got home, we tried a couple of Travel Agents and they still have allocation, trouble is, its gone up by £600 since last year, having a rethink, maybe leave it a while.
The Japanese restaurant is a must, the chefs are fantastic, we never stopped laughing all night. The Italian was so relaxing and the food was great as was the Mexican where we ate lunch most days as its by the pool area. Blue Moon was fantastic, what they do with after dinner coffee's is jaw dropping and it tasted good.
The Gala meal which was provided on Christmas Eve had just about every meat and seafood you could possibly imagine, and it tasted so good, the service was impeccable as usual and I compliment the people who organised it and got it so right.
We were amazed at all the wildlife wandering freely around the grounds, we had heard about them but didn't expect that. Great.

Room Tip: ~Choose a room on the south side if you can but you wont be disappointed in any of the small 2 storey blocks
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Goldie-Pit
OceanCustomerService, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Dear Goldie-Pit, we truly appreciate your kind comments about our resort; it is rewarding for us to learn that you chose Ocean Maya Royale for your vacations and enjoyed our facilities and delicious food offerings. Thank you for posting your review on this site. We look forward your next visit.
Warm regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.

Reviewed 10 January 2018

Well to begin with i would like to let people know how lovly this hotel is or but a few snags so i will start with the good thing first so that i dont put people off the staff at this hotel you cannot fault i dont mean the top manegers an that i mean the hard working staff that try to get everything perfect for you nothing is to much trouble.they work very hard for so little the staff in the main resterant cannot do enough for you always smiling very polite what more can you ask for the bar staff at both bars again you cant fault especially the two bar girls that got our drink at night so lovly magual from the pool bar always got my drink and my husbands just perfect it was good to see those staff still there as without staff like these i dont think the hotel would last the small staff are the ones that count.my huband and i dont play alot of attention to manegment as where more interested in the staff that work very hard to make it what it is we both have now stayed at this hotel 4 christmases running this time the entertainment was not as good as the 3 years before ther was no acrobats dancers in the pool the best shows was put on very late at night and only lasted for about an hour as they were after 10.30 and listening to alot of boring music for three hours we were tired so didnt get to see the late shows it would of been better if they were on earlier like the other years we had been ther. Although i have said all this both my husband and i still said it was our best holiday there you cannot fault the holiday itself just the things they have changed the n
manegement seems to change all the time so when you go back there are only a few staff that recognise you. when it came to checkin i was most disapointed before getting there when my huband and i booked the holiday tue emailed the hotel infront of us to say this was our 4th xmas there and could we possibly have a room aways from the swamp area as for the past two years they had been emailed and yet still they chose to put us by a swamp and that meant moving rooms and yet the first time we had stayed we were put in a lovly room having stayed in sandals hotels usually when you go back to a hotel after a couple of years they autamatikly upgrade you without asking. When i mentioned this at checkin the so called maneger who id never met said no it was a very good room i did tell him if it wasnt i would be back .well i thought no go and look at the room and yes it was the same room by a swamp like last year so i went back to the desk to tell the maneger no not for us when i said that i did not want to be put by a swamp he said your in a jungle madam also how lucky i was because he couldnt afford a holiday his name by the way is montserra i then pointed out i would like to speak to someone higher than him he was so rude both my husband and i had been awake for 24 hours by now travelled nearly 5,000 miles for a very small minded man who needs to take a lesson in customer service this holiday was a birthday present from my husband who worked hard to pay for it . after that a very nice lady maneger came out and told me thatshe would have a better room the following day after 2.30 pm so we couldnt un pak or anything because of moving the following day true to her word it was a lovly room by then we had lost 2 days from our lovly holiday on the last day they wanted us to pay another 10 dollers per hour to keep our room i declined this after all the trouble at checkin i would like to thankthe lady who did give us a good room her name is jofran i would also like to thank the maneger at the blue moon for carrying the drinks for me if anybody read this please dont let it put you off going to this lovly hotel it was only one member of staff the hotel is lovly thats why we have gone back four years running please give it a go as you want be disapointed when you see the hotel iv tryed to be as honest so that people know what they will get.

Room Tip: Beach front
Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jasmond c

Dear jasmond c, it has been an honor to host you again at Ocean Maya Royale. We are thrilled to know that despite these minor details your overall experience was great. Thank you for your preference and for taking the time to share your comments on this site; we hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in the future.
Best regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Loved this place! Beautiful grounds, clean bathrooms, great staff. Let me just say I am a very picky eater and this place had everything and more for me to eat. I usually lose a few lbs on a trip but I think I might have gained a few. Oops. But again great food. The pool bar was fanatastic, Iganacias (please forgive me if it’s spelt wrong, but I had the purple bubba, loved you buddy). Miguel at the pool bar and the rest of the guys! Your the best. Eduardo, Kath, thanks for everything!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Crystal U

Dear Crystal U, it was a great pleasure to host you at Ocean Maya Royale during your recent vacations. We are glad to read you had an excellent experience at our resort. Thank you for your preference and for sharing your amazing experience on this site. We hope to have another opportunity to host you again soon.
Warm regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

This was my first time in Mexico & I had a wonderful experience at Ocean Maya Royale. The grounds were beautiful, the rooms, restaurants, pools & beach were clean. The resort staff was amazing! Everyone went out of their way to accommodate us & were always smiling. Special shout out to the lobby bartenders, Herbert & Oli. The food in the restaurants was fresh & well-prepared; there was no shortage of options. The only thing that needs some updating is the gym, it's small & the equipment was outdated. Otherwise, I highly recommend this resort & would definitely return!

Stayed: January 2018
2  Thank JennLS

Dear JennLS, thank you for having chosen Ocean Maya Royale as the host for your vacations. We are thrilled to know that your past visit to our resort was satisfactory, and that overall you had a good time while enjoying the great variety in our offer. We are greatly thankful that you took the time to share your experience with us.
Best regards, Ocean Maya Royale family.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

We stayed 5 days and 4 nights and found this resort to be a gem for many reasons.
First, as an adult only, it was peaceful and relaxing without all of the craziness that comes with loads of kids running around. Second, the layout, lush landscape and smaller size property made for a beautiful setting that was easy to navigate. The resort didn't seem over-crowed even though they were sold out. Dining options were always available and getting drinks was never a chore. The beach at the resort isn't spectacular but a short walk down the beach and you will find your own little stretch of crystal clear blue and green water and un crowded sand. The check in and check out process were easy quick. We had to wait for our rooms upon early arrival but they checked our luggage and we hit the beach without a problem. The staff was incredible and a special shout out goes to our faves including cocktail waitress JOJO, bartender CRISTOBAL, and servers EDUARDO and ISLA. We had cocktail service on the beach, breakfasts in the buffet, lunches at El Charro, the seaside café, and dinners at the various restaurants. Blue Moon gets our high praise for dinner quality, service, and variety. We wish there were more seafood options throughout, but never had a bad meal at any restaurant.

The rooms were moderate sized and adequately furnished. We didn't spend a lot of time there so they were just fine. Housekeeping changed our linens daily and the room was always clean, the minibar always refilled.

Every night there was some sort of entertainment after dinner hours and we enjoyed sitting in the main square after dinner taking in the night, the show, and the cocktails. Service was great and the shows were entertaining. The lobby bar was open 24 hours and we enjoyed a few late nights at the bar. I wish I could recognize our lobby bartenders for their service, but I forgot their names.

Regarding service, the staff was always polite and being of service. We were 100% satisfied with the awesome staff and amazed at how EVERY employee would greet you upon passing and smile. They excel in service.

We saw all sorts of wild animals in the mornings and evening. It was kind of neat as 3-4 deer wandered and grazed through the resort. Iguanas and other critters I don't recognize also appeared. Don't feed the animals.

things to be aware of.....
-Bring cash, as the exchange rate using credit cards bothered me at the shop and the activities.
-Bring plenty of $1's to tip those hardworking service personnel. Too many non tippers.
-Bring your own scuba mask and snorkel if you plan to snorkel. Their masks are so so.
-bring once set of casual dinner attire. They never pushed the dress code but......
-The reef snorkel was a nice activity, I recommend it and we enjoyed it.
-Winter nights are mild and require a light jacket. Daytime is beautiful.

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Building 9 or 10 are close to the beach, pool and bar.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank puttickjax

Dear puttickjax, thank you for having chosen our resort as the host for your vacations. With reward we read that you had a wonderful experience at Ocean Maya Royale while enjoying our facilities and services along with the company of our staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site and we look forward to host you again soon.
Best regards, Ocean Maya Royale family.