“Enjoyable Adults Only for the Xmas”
Review of Ocean Maya Royale

Ocean Maya Royale
Ranked #43 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We just returned from a 2 week stay at the Ocean Maya Royale and Check-in was very quick with welcome cocktail then had to pay a new tax before being whizzed around the lush grounds in golf buggy to our rooms. Good size room, slippers and robe for laid out for us both. Touch of the chef and bottle of sparkling wine to welcome us. King size bed and really comfy with 6 big pillows. Room safe is a good size but needs to be moved as placed in an area that stops you hanging clothes good size walk in shower and bathroom area in general and mini fridge which was replenished every day.

Al-A-Carts – Dolce Vida (Italian) was our favourite and the main man Jorge who really welcomed you and always had time to speak with you during the evening and even tempted you to try a chefs special creation and his team was great.
Blue moon (elegant/romantic) good menu and the staff was good but you had long waiting periods between courses which was improving.
Charro (Mexican food) in the evening and was also doubled up as the buffet during lunch as it was close to the beach and pool areas with outside bbq area.
Main buffet – breakfast, lunch and dinners some nights themed food good quality of food every night.
Tepanayaki grill – (Japanese) you need to book this one as it has limited

Aranza,was great had time for you and tried hard to get results for you but had her hands tied by Management who either needs replacing or lessons on dealing with customers when issues arise and not leave it to the poor staff when laundry is returned damaged by the services provided by hotel nd Management ignore you.

Apart for the useless Management onsite I would say this is a great hotel to chill out and relax

Room Tip: Rooms that are not to close to main reception for quiteness
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mickeydee071
OceanCustomerService, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ocean Maya Royale, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Mickeydee071, we want to thank you for taking the time to post your review at this site. It is good to learn that overall, you had a great experience during your stay. We really appreciate your comments and observations, which we can work with in order to continue to improve our facilities and services day by day. Thank you for choosing our resort and for taking the time to share your comments, we hope to host you again soon.
Warm regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,971)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great place for a relaxing and fun family vacation. It was small and provided a safe and friendly environment for a great week away. The staff is so friendly and talented - definitely check out the shows at night! Also highly recommend eating at Blue Moon- the steak and arancini are delicious! The rooms are comfortable and beautiful!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Elena I

Dear Elena l, it has been an honor to host you at Ocean Maya Royale during your vacations. With reward we read your kind comments about your experience at our resort and it is pleasant to know that we were able to provide you with a great vacation experience that fulfilled your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on this site. We look forward to host you again soon. Kind regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We traveled here in March and here is our review of OMR.
Check in
It was fine they gave us a standard room which is what we paid for it was fine. The maid service was good every day.
Food not that great it was ok, a little below average for a all inclusive in Mexico.
Drinks watered down, typical for Mexico.
Beach and pools
There is no beach just weed roots and rocks we have been to more than 40 different resorts and at least 13 in Mexico and was the worst thing we ever saw .Shame on you OMR for advertising a beach at your resort. There is just a very small bit a sand by watersports , however it is all roots, rocks and weed..
Speaking of that the watersports staff here was second to none outstanding! Now the pool looked nice with a swim up bar but you could only look at rather than use it, because one large group always sat on the steps blocking the entrance how rude.
Entertainment
Night time shows were same as any other resorts. But the resort had no activities during the afternoon for an Adults only this was a surprise to us as the days were dead boring with people just sitting around drinking cheap booze.
In closing we think the resort could do better with fun pool activities to make up for lack of beach.
When we booked this resort we thought there was a decent beach, we were fooled. BEWARE YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shil0girl
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What an amazing time! I took my mother here for 5 days. Let me start off by saying I can't pick just one thing I love about our trip but I will do my best to write all I can. This is advertised as a couple's resort. Even though there are some things geared towards romance, do not let this deter you. Everyone is friendly and there are so many different things to do you do not feel like you have to be a couple. There are some things I didn't experience cause our time was limited. The spa - even though I wish I did. And the fitness center. Not sad I missed it. Just walked the beach and resort. I didn't make it to lagoon. We walked for awhile and I dunno what happened, too much sun and cocktails I guess lol.

Pros: We loved this style of resort. The villas. The lush green landscape mixed with pools and beach. Really gorgeous place. Beats all those hotel styles hands down. Food was very good. Blue moon was excellent. People said portions are small, but honestly we just ordered three appetizers and dinners and we were still stuffed. We loved the Italian restaurant, but I agree with someone else, open it earlier to get the daylight sea views. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Did an excellent job maintaining property. SERVICE - AMAZING. I mean seriously everyone was so wonderful. We did not upgrade to privilege nor did we regret it. You do need to get to pool early but we were early risers...which meant we did not stick around much for night life. My mom went to see beatles band and loved it. I found it quite chilly at night. I think I was so excited to wear shorts all the time I really should have packed longer pants and sweaters for the night. Margarita booked our Sailing trip to Isla Mujeres. She was wonderful. Easy to talk to. And just wonderful. Book anything through here. Daniela greeted us everyday for breakfast. She is a sweet thing, even when i forget to follow her to the table and just went straight for the mimosa bar. Miguel did amazing at the pool bar for us. Luis wonderful morning coffee. Again i wish I knew everyone's name because I really have not one complaint about the hard working staff. Beds and room was great. So happy they followed our request for double bed. Entertainment staff at pool are fun and energetic. Foam party was great. I would have been okay with more music more often. Some people complain about it but I enjoy music by the pool. OH and my daily naps in the beach cabana beds. Pretty much my favorite part of the day!

Cons: The only thing we wished for was a heated pool. I know that sounds ridiculous in mexico, but it was chilly the week we went down. Think the heated pool would have been nice touch. It was 45 minute from airport. If you have to drop a couple people off it took even longer to get there. But it wasn't bad. There was a huge push to listen to the sales pitch. You tell them no and its fine. I just wish they would only do it once and leave it be. But they kept it up for a couple days. There is push to buy upgraded menu items too, but again, just roll with it. Say no thank you and get a million other things you want.

Have a great time if you choose this resort. Its quite impossible not to!

Stayed: January 2018
3  Thank Angelina S

Dear Angelina S, thank you for choosing our resort as the host for your vacations. We are thrilled to know that your expectations were fulfilled by our facilities and services. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Best regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our group of 6 just returned a few days ago from a 7-night stay (Jan. 4-11, 2018). My husband and I had a great time! We read lots of reviews and watched lots of YouTube videos of the resort before booking. We knew the beach wasn't as nice as in Cancun, where we usually stay when traveling to Mexico, but wanted to try somewhere else. If this resort were located on another location of the beach in Playa Del Carmen or Cancun it would be at least $100-$200 more per night. With that being said, it is a very nice resort with excellent staff and beautiful grounds!! Here is a list of our pro's and con's to OMR:

Pro's-
-The amazing staff!! Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Especially Francisco (beach waiter and breakfast buffet), Miguel (beach bar) and Olli (lobby bar).
-Layout of the resort! Loved the groupings of villa's as opposed to 1 huge tall building. So much quieter having only 8 rooms per building.
-Tropical landscaping on the grounds! So beautiful and well kept.
-All the wildlife and animals that live on or around the property!! Loved seeing the deer, coatis, and cereque's (cute little pig looking animals). They were definitely a highlight.
-The resort never felt busy. Even though it was at full capacity, we never has to wait longer than a minute or 2 for anything. The longest line I encountered was for the omelet/egg station at the breakfast buffet. Love smaller resorts.
-Clean resort! Hardly any garbage on the beach at all, they do a great job at cleaning everything.
-Sit down restaurants had great food! (Only exception for me was the buffet, I didn't care for it as much) Yookoso(Hibachi restaurant) is great! Great food and super fun chefs! El Charro was another favorite. Our waitress (I can't remember her name though) was so sweet and remembered us from our first night!)
-Foam party on Sundays and Wednesdays! So fun!
-Huge area behind the boardwalk with tons of lounge chairs and palapas/palm trees for shade. Also a big hammock area in the shade.
-The most comfortable beds and pillows I have encountered in Mexico! Luxurious sheets too.

Cons-
-(This is nothing against the resort, because it is obviously out of their control)Unfortunately the ocean is the not always the clear turquoise water that is usually associated with the Rivera Maya. I think it must depend on the wind and tide for the day how murky the water is on this part of the beach. We did have a day with little wind and the water was much clearer! The beach itself, although small, is well kept. The workers are out there clearing the washed up sea weed everyday. They work very hard to keep it nice and do a very good job. It was probably the cleanest beach I have stayed at.
-Only option for breakfast was the buffet. La Dolce Vita would be a great option for a sit down breakfast restaurant with it's location overlooking the beach in the morning!
-Bathrooms in the rooms offer very little privacy. There is only a swinging 3/4 frosted glass door to separate the toilet/shower area from the sink/vanity area. Both are small in size.
-Buffet was just so-so for me. I did especially like the smoothie bar and mimosa bar though. The omelet station was great too.
-I wish they didn't start the dance music at the party pool so early. It was also too loud in my opinion. We were laying on the beach on the south side of the resort and the music was still too loud there. It would have been nice to have it quiet so we could hear the waves better.
-Wish Mike's Coffee was open in the morning (but the lobby bar makes good cappuccino's in the AM)
-Bring bug spray. There are mosquitos. Luckily they aren't the same blood thirsty ones we have back at home in Minnesota, but still annoying to have them around.

In conclusion it's a very nice resort with amazing staff, beautiful grounds and an ok (but clean!) beach area. The pool area and huge boardwalk sand area are nice though, so there are other options to lay out at. Overall the food is very good and rooms are nice and clean.

Room Tip: We were in building 27. Liked how central it was to everything. Would have preferred a 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Mary H

Dear Mary H, first of all let us thank you for having chosen Ocean Maya Royale for your destionation during your past vacation in the Riviera Maya. We are truly happy to read that your overall experience with us was a good one and that you were able to enjoy the variety of our gastronomical offer in our different resturants. We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedbacks in this website so that we can improve the quality of our services and become even better everyday. We hope we will have another chance to host you in the near future.
Best regards, Ocean Maya Royale team.