“Hidden Gem”

Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #49 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 July 2017

This is one of the best deals in the area. The location was great and just a few short steps from the water and even shorter walk to all the shops. The hotel had a very local feel but with modern day hospitality. "Ale" is a rockstar she really brings life to this this place.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Everything O.K. except the following : Internet was not working at all or very very low for 2 weeks. We reclaimed but nothing happened. We were obliged to go to the next Hotel Del Mar.

We had the breakfast included for 2 weeks but it was a bit boring. You should include an Italian breakfast for Europeans because american cofee with water is not a real coffee. Your orange juice has a very bizarre taste. You should include what you have in your Pierre bakery like your little bread, Cappuccino, real italian coffe, ... All your staff were pleasant except one person at breakfast, a person named Paco. He passed five times before you and served as another person who came after you. He used to forget the services (Fork, knife, spoon) everytimes. He had to wait 10 minutes after receiving our dish to bring them several times.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

I usually spend a few days in Playa DEL Carmen when I visit Riviera Maya every year . I used to stay at Playa Palms which I loved but the last time they screwed up my room and the girl at the front desk was less than helpful so this year I decided to try a new place . Best.decision.ever. !
The most friendly gentlemen checked me in. His name was Edgar . He was able to check me in early and put me in a room on the floor where the pool was . This was an upgrade since it wasn't busy season he was able to do it .So helpful. Explained everything and notified me of the free breakfast which was yummy ! Several options to choose from to eat .The room was spacious and immaculate, great AC the shower was great , hot and good pressure. Bed is comfy. There is also a mini fridge in the room which is very convenient. The deck outside my room had a great view with a small pool and sitting area . Loved it ! Every member of the illusions staff was friendly and helpful .Ale helped me with the best beaches to sit at and where to eat lunch . Edgar , Antonio and Richy were also helpful with directions and tips for the area . Ray the concierge was also excellent. He arranged a fabulous tour to Sian Kaan for me and recommended la Casa De Agua which is now my favorite restaurant in playa .
The best part was one night when I was leaving my room me and a few other guest noticed a Coita roaming around . It's a marsupial so cute. I've usually only seen these adorable creatures in the larger resorts so this was a treat . I give the Illusion hotel an A++++ and will look to stay at this chain when I travel . Can't wait til next year !

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

I just checked into the hotel and I'm disappointed. I booked nearly a month in advance. It took me days to decide which hotel I wanted and which room I wanted. I booked a Mirage Room with a balcony. When I arrived they gave me a room number and I asked the hostess if the room matched my reservation and if the balcony had a view. She asked to see my reservation confirmation and I showed it to her and she says there aren't any of those rooms left. I told her I reserved it so I could wait until later until the people in the rooms checked out . She said one will not be available until tomorrow. In the meantime, she had another room for me that was an upgrade. I'll have to change rooms tomorrow. It would be ok if the room was actually an upgrade but it's actually a room without any kind of view which was the most important factor in booming. I don't like this inferior accommodation especially since I paid in advance for a room with a balcony- it's not what I reserved. Also. The mirror in the bathroom is dirty and the sliding glass door to room does not feel secure. I will update as my stay progresses, but at this point. I'm not happy with my decision to book here and won't be back my next visit . The staff are nice though.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicole-Marie C
Reviewed 4 July 2017

For the price and location, this was a great place to stay. Rooms were large, clean, and comfortable. There was AC 24/7 and it was right on 5th ave and a block from the beach. Water wouldn't get hot in the shower but was lukewarm and we managed. The on-site restaurant was pretty good for breakfast and the hotel is within walking distance of about 100 other restaurants. Don't expect to go "swimming" in the pool, it's small and more of a place to sit and soak. There is a hotel right on the beach next door though that has a rooftop pool they let you use for free if you buy drinks. It has an AMAZING view.
I saw a lot of complaints about noise but we didn't have any issues at night...we thought it was pretty quiet. Illusion has a cold water cooler in the lobby that we filled up our water bottles with. This was great and a huge plus! There are also refrigerators and a safe in the room. Overall, if you are looking for a hotel for under $100 a night with a great location, I would recommend this one.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
XperienceHR, Front Desk Supervisor at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Dear Ambassador Jennifer,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us your opinion, opinions like yours are very valuable since they allow us to have all the details of your stay and to be able to improve those areas that have not been to your liking so we can give you a better stay the next you come back. At the end of the day, the most important thing for Xperience Hotels family is you.

We appreciate your words and comments for each of the services and facilities offered by Illusion Boutique. We have 6 hotels in the area that we would love you visit, each characterized by infinite hospitality, our greatest value.

We hope to see you soon!

Claudia Esquivel