I transferred over to the RIU Palace Riviera Maya (had a previous travel agent tell me this was a perfect resort) after a horrible experience at the Secrets Capri. The hotel has a beautiful architecture and style. Very pretty. The outside and the inside lobby and public areas. Nice staff. GREAT FOOD. Beach is very nice. Lots of chaise loungers and LOTS of shaded Loungers too. Very pretty view of Cozumel from the resort. They have one swimming pool and several decorative pools. The swimming pool is very lively-loud music, exercise, dance lessons, pool bar, 20-30 year olds. Beach is a little bit more quiet. My opinion, if you are looking for a relaxed, quiet resort look outside of Playa Del Carmen area. The private areas and the rooms were the biggest drawback. The mediterranean style hotel on the halls to your rooms was very dark. The room was very dark AND IT SMELLED LIKE MOLD. We didn't want to say anything as we just came from a horrible resort-Secrets Capri, but the smell was so strong that the 2nd day we told the front desk and they sent the housekeeper who sprayed air freshener which mildly helped. It still smelled but not as bad. Barely tolerable. The next 2 days were ok. The last night of our vacation we were woken up at 1:30am (we had to be up at 5:00 am for transfer to airport) and my husband got out of bed to answer the door and fell on the floor as THERE WAS 2 INCHES OF WATER COVERING THE FLOOR IN OUR ROOM. The housekeepers had come -as they knew about the flood-with squeegees to remove the water. they squeeged and then used towels to wipe up most of the water.. I told them and the front desk about my husband's fall, but they didn't respond. I don't think they understood English well. Anyway, there was still water seeping from the baseboards after they left. The room stunk to high heaven of mold. I believe they knew there is a problem with mold at this hotel. Would not stay here again. Too noisy and the smell is overwhelming. But great food. This is my personal opinion of what truthfully occurred during our stay. Thank you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico