I would like to start this honest review with stating that even with a few minor negatives we will certainly go back.
I had read the reviews of smelly rooms and have to admit that when we entered our room I could smell damp/ mould.It was mild but put me off straight away.
I couldn't find any signs of mould or damp although I must stress that the rooms are in my opinion in need of a make over. They are full of dark colonial furniture and obscure decorations/ boring art work,The fridge also made a racket.
Getting back to the damp issue upon returning home we have found that all our clothes that were hanging up in the wardrobe with louvre doors now smell of damp.
We found the evening entertainment seriously lacking so would go into 5th Avenue some evenings - it was only £4.50 each way by taxi.
But there are real plus points.
The staff are really friendly, we must mention Claudio on the cocktail bar near reception, he makes amazing cocktails and Fernando on the beach drinks service is a real star.
Question - do those staff that work in the sweltering heat on the beach really have to wear such a covered up and thick uniform ?it seems unfair considering their colleagues mainly work in air con conditions.
The food was really good and we really enjoyed the Krystal restaurant.
The maids did keep the room really clean and changed the towels daily.
I have a couple of Health and Safety concerns, if you travel to this hotel see what you think.
1. on the beach there is a Scruba Sports hut and this is where hotel guests can purchase water activities.My concern is that if you watch this area for a couple of hours you will see how terribly fast the jet ski's come in to shore and large engined boats. My observation was that when the waves are rolling in you cannot see if children OR adults are in the water. ( and they were) I think its an accident waiting to happen.
2. The hotel activity team organise a foam party at the pool - yes they put safety tape around the area to prevent guests from knocking into the electrical equipment that they have RIGHT ON THE VERY EDGE OF TEHE POOL but this also barricades the lively/enthusiastic team inside the perimeter and THEY could knock the electrical speakers and electrical foam fan into the water. A better more sturdy frame work should be available. very concerned.
another point is that it is so annoying having the beach sellars coming up to you every 20 minutes on your sun lounger trying to sell cigars and jewellery. could they be made to stay on the actual beach and customers visit them if they wish to make a purchase.it would be so much more relaxing.
The pool is not as big as the images show- its a strange set up considering the amount of unused space that the water features take up.
The pool area is VERY noisy but you do have the beach to get away for some peace.
One amazing point is the amount of spare sun lounges that are available. we counted about 45 spare lounges around us on the beach UNDER the palm trees.
Its a beautiful hotel, reception is grand. it does need updating/ redecorating in some areas..
But we had an amazing holiday and have said in a couple of years we will return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico