Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$276
US$232
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$426
US$324
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$150
  • Breakfast included
Be Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$130
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Coco Beach(Playa del Carmen)
US$193
US$168
  • Breakfast included
Playa Palms Beach Hotel(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$110
  • Breakfast included
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$126
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$220
US$211
US$410
US$384
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$2,593
Hotelpower.com
5,983 results
All reviewssports bardon manolospecialty restaurantspalm treescourtyard viewfusion restaurantmusty smellmake reservationsother resortsgated communitylobsterriviera mayainfinity poolmain buffetentertainment staffhotel is beautifulplenty of chairs
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We actually stayed at the Palace Mexico however this enabled us to use facilities at other rius in Cancun and Playa. As our hotel was only 10 mins away we spent the whole day at the Riviera Maya where there was a beach party with bbq and drinks inside of coconuts. The place has a big infinity pool linked on to the main big pool where you can then swim out and into the swim up bar. The inside lobby is full of character, better than our own at the Palace Mexico.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamie P
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Firstly what an amazing hotel staff and food excellent, hotel rooms are comfortable but I feel bathrooms need an update
Ours was average to say the best.
Staff were all excellent giving great service and courtesy
Food in all restaurants was excellent hard to choose a favourite including main buffet restaurant
Swimming pools were great infinity pool being best as main pool I felt needed a bloody good clean

Beach was very clean and the sellers didn't pester to much and always left if you said no

Overall great hotel and holiday

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank supmek2014
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I would like to start this honest review with stating that even with a few minor negatives we will certainly go back.

I had read the reviews of smelly rooms and have to admit that when we entered our room I could smell damp/ mould.It was mild but put me off straight away.
I couldn't find any signs of mould or damp although I must stress that the rooms are in my opinion in need of a make over. They are full of dark colonial furniture and obscure decorations/ boring art work,The fridge also made a racket.
Getting back to the damp issue upon returning home we have found that all our clothes that were hanging up in the wardrobe with louvre doors now smell of damp.

We found the evening entertainment seriously lacking so would go into 5th Avenue some evenings - it was only £4.50 each way by taxi.

But there are real plus points.
The staff are really friendly, we must mention Claudio on the cocktail bar near reception, he makes amazing cocktails and Fernando on the beach drinks service is a real star.

Question - do those staff that work in the sweltering heat on the beach really have to wear such a covered up and thick uniform ?it seems unfair considering their colleagues mainly work in air con conditions.

The food was really good and we really enjoyed the Krystal restaurant.

The maids did keep the room really clean and changed the towels daily.

I have a couple of Health and Safety concerns, if you travel to this hotel see what you think.

1. on the beach there is a Scruba Sports hut and this is where hotel guests can purchase water activities.My concern is that if you watch this area for a couple of hours you will see how terribly fast the jet ski's come in to shore and large engined boats. My observation was that when the waves are rolling in you cannot see if children OR adults are in the water. ( and they were) I think its an accident waiting to happen.

2. The hotel activity team organise a foam party at the pool - yes they put safety tape around the area to prevent guests from knocking into the electrical equipment that they have RIGHT ON THE VERY EDGE OF TEHE POOL but this also barricades the lively/enthusiastic team inside the perimeter and THEY could knock the electrical speakers and electrical foam fan into the water. A better more sturdy frame work should be available. very concerned.

another point is that it is so annoying having the beach sellars coming up to you every 20 minutes on your sun lounger trying to sell cigars and jewellery. could they be made to stay on the actual beach and customers visit them if they wish to make a purchase.it would be so much more relaxing.

The pool is not as big as the images show- its a strange set up considering the amount of unused space that the water features take up.
The pool area is VERY noisy but you do have the beach to get away for some peace.
One amazing point is the amount of spare sun lounges that are available. we counted about 45 spare lounges around us on the beach UNDER the palm trees.

Its a beautiful hotel, reception is grand. it does need updating/ redecorating in some areas..
But we had an amazing holiday and have said in a couple of years we will return.

Room Tip: the views at the front looking onto the water features are great.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lolgal
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I will start this review with Big, Big, thanks to everyone on this hotel that makes our stay perfect, special Carlos,christian , Ivan at the buffet,very good service from all personal working here at the beach,entertainment,pool,etc was very good, beautiful hotel,walking distance from shoppping center were you can buy souvenirs,enjoy starbucks,very close playa del carmen you can either walk around 15 minutes or get a taxi for $7.00,visit playa during de day and night and is lovely
The only complaint that I want to put here is the first night when we get to our room the A/C did not work, we manage to pass the night with the fan, that make a very loud noise like it was going to fall at any time over our heads, but we did it after 2 o 3 tequilas who cares, Then in the morning my husban went to front desk to report that A/C was not working and spoke with Victor, he mention that we fail to report same night that will take up to 24 H to fix the problem, by "Hotel policy", my husband got upset thinking that we have to spend other night without A/C, that is not what we paid for, then I went this time to front desk and spoke with a girl,(don't remember the name) she quickly send a maintenance team, that could not fix the problem, and upgrade us with a better room,we appreciated that very much, I Think at the begining Victor should at least try to resolve The Issue that it was not our fault and don't try to fool us with "Hotel Policy" none Hotel will have this policy specially when you paid for A/C room,and you can see that management on this hotel is on top of everything, you can tell that because everyone here works with smile on their face and is kind and always willing to help, What's wrong with you Victor?Shame on you,
But Again this incident does'nt ruin my vacations and I had a terrific time at this hotel, just commenting the incident, if it happens to you, just relax and come back later and speak with someone else, I'm sure they will fix the Problem
other than that I have a little recommendation for the management, if is possible they should upgrade the quality of the linen, sheets feel very hard,not soft,like other hotels that I have visited, That will be plus,
I will for sure be back

Room Tip: get rooms near the pool if do you like to sleep early,shows finish at 12:00 and music can be ear from the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank millyTampa
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I transferred over to the RIU Palace Riviera Maya (had a previous travel agent tell me this was a perfect resort) after a horrible experience at the Secrets Capri. The hotel has a beautiful architecture and style. Very pretty. The outside and the inside lobby and public areas. Nice staff. GREAT FOOD. Beach is very nice. Lots of chaise loungers and LOTS of shaded Loungers too. Very pretty view of Cozumel from the resort. They have one swimming pool and several decorative pools. The swimming pool is very lively-loud music, exercise, dance lessons, pool bar, 20-30 year olds. Beach is a little bit more quiet. My opinion, if you are looking for a relaxed, quiet resort look outside of Playa Del Carmen area. The private areas and the rooms were the biggest drawback. The mediterranean style hotel on the halls to your rooms was very dark. The room was very dark AND IT SMELLED LIKE MOLD. We didn't want to say anything as we just came from a horrible resort-Secrets Capri, but the smell was so strong that the 2nd day we told the front desk and they sent the housekeeper who sprayed air freshener which mildly helped. It still smelled but not as bad. Barely tolerable. The next 2 days were ok. The last night of our vacation we were woken up at 1:30am (we had to be up at 5:00 am for transfer to airport) and my husband got out of bed to answer the door and fell on the floor as THERE WAS 2 INCHES OF WATER COVERING THE FLOOR IN OUR ROOM. The housekeepers had come -as they knew about the flood-with squeegees to remove the water. they squeeged and then used towels to wipe up most of the water.. I told them and the front desk about my husband's fall, but they didn't respond. I don't think they understood English well. Anyway, there was still water seeping from the baseboards after they left. The room stunk to high heaven of mold. I believe they knew there is a problem with mold at this hotel. Would not stay here again. Too noisy and the smell is overwhelming. But great food. This is my personal opinion of what truthfully occurred during our stay. Thank you.

Room Tip: rooms with a view of the courtyard are nice.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Lois A
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such honest and detailed feedback. We are glad to read that the food offered at our restaurants was to your satisfaction and that you highlighted the décor of our lobby.

Regarding the issues you described in your room, we are deeply disappointed to find that our team did not turn around this situation to your complete satisfaction during your stay. We would like to clarify that, unfortunately humidity is something very typical of a tropical climate. Our internal system is created to mitigate this. We are sorry to read that your room needed more work.

We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the high standards of service and quality that are typical of our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya