This is my second stay at one of the Condo Hotels properties. In December 2010 we stayed at El Taj; this time we tried Porto Playa. Admittedly, our first choice was El Taj but we chose Porto Playa because there was a special promotion. I was prepared to be a little disappointed to not be at El Taj, but the truth is, I liked Porto Playa just as much as El Taj, and there were a few things I preferred.
To provide a frame of reference, El Taj is on the beach and Porto Playa is about 1.5 blocks from the beach. This turned out to not be an issue at all, and in fact the Porto Playa location was quieter than El Taj, which we liked.
We used the Indigo Beach Club at El Taj every day and were treated royally by the staff there who were always available, always smiling, but never intrusive. The young man who is responsible for providing umbrellas for shade, seemed to never be far away when we needed him, and is committed to pleasing people. I know it sounds easy “putting up umbrellas” but consider that each time he does that, or moves one to block the sun, he has to dig a hole to brace the umbrella. He does this with a smile and what seems like an eagerness that is a beautiful thing to behold. What amazed (and disgusted) us is how many people call him over, have him add or move an umbrella, and barely bother to say thank you, let alone give him a little tip. And yet he still does his work with a smile.
The condo itself was incredible. While it was almost identical to our room at El Taj, this one came with a private roof top patio which was a lovely bonus to have. We hung the supplied hammocks our first day and retired to the roof top whenever we needed a break from the beach or the town. We also used the roof top hot tub which was clean and hot…perfect on a cool evening.
I also liked the pools at Porto Playa better than the El Taj pools, especially the lower pool at Porto Playa which no one ever seemed to use except us, and which was sheltered from the almost constant breeze.
Lastly, the service. Being blessed to have stayed in lovely hotels around the world, I think I can safely say that the service at the Condo Hotels properties is second to none. The front desk staff at Porto Playa were extremely friendly and helpful (thank you Erik) and concierge William was instrumental in assisting us with any special requirements we had.
Sorry this was so long but it’s hard to not go on and on about Porto Playa and the rest of the Condo Hotels facilities. The developer, Jack Perlman, has created a beautiful, peaceful oasis with his properties (in the middle of Playa del Carmen and just steps from Fifth), and then added to that feeling with incredible staff who set a five-star tone. You won’t be disappointed staying at any of the properties.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The focal point is a Sanctuary reminiscent of a tropical rain forest. There is even a "State of the Art" Gym and Fitness Center right on premises. Porto Playa features 1, 2 and 3 bedroom penthouses and condominiums. All the Penthouses have their own private rooftop terrace with BBQ outdoor kitchen, heated Jacuzzi some with spectacular partial ocean views. Centrally located in the heart of Playa, Porto Playa is only one short block from the beautiful Caribbean Playa del Carmen beaches and famous 5th Ave. Perfect for beach weddings, honeymoons in Playa del Carmen , families and business groups and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Playa Condo Hotel And Beachclub
- Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico